Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question First time w/ trainer

I had a meeting with a personal trainer today. I told her I want to gain muscle (a lot). She wants to do 5 days a week, all in a row, with only 2 days of heavy lifting and 2 days of metabolic and 1 day of easy cardio or weights. I currently just do 4-5 days, never more than 2 in a row, of heavy weights. She wants to do full body and I currently do body splits. Do you think her plan, I only have this basic outline right now, will help to build even more muscles? She also said bicep curls won't help build bigger biceps but rows will, I like bicep curls but is she right?

bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sarahnnapoleon View Post
    I had a meeting with a personal trainer today. I told her I want to gain muscle (a lot). She wants to do 5 days a week, all in a row, with only 2 days of heavy lifting and 2 days of metabolic and 1 day of easy cardio or weights. I currently just do 4-5 days, never more than 2 in a row, of heavy weights. She wants to do full body and I currently do body splits. Do you think her plan, I only have this basic outline right now, will help to build even more muscles? She also said bicep curls won't help build bigger biceps but rows will, I like bicep curls but is she right?
    Curious what is metabolic? Bicep curls will certainly build muscle. Not sure what she is saying there.

Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarahnnapoleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From what I have read it is a workout with weights designed to burn more fat. That is why I don't understand her plan. I am not worried about burning a ton of fat right now. I just want bigger muscles. But I am relatively new to heavy weight training so I didn't know what to say, she has 10 years experience to my 7 months, so I was wondering about everyone else's opinion. She is really skinny, which worries me about her experience with weight lifting.

bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bradrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From what I have read it is a workout with weights designed to burn more fat. That is why I don't understand her plan. I am not worried about burning a ton of fat right now. I just want bigger muscles. But I am relatively new to heavy weight training so I didn't know what to say, she has 10 years experience to my 7 months, so I was wondering about everyone else's opinion. She is really skinny, which worries me about her experience with weight lifting.
    Hmm. Maybe giant sets or supersets...keeping your heart rate up? Not sure tho. I spent lots of time ( two years ) working out in mostly the 'fat burning' type exercises like that. I was skinny fat so i now realize that probably wasn't the best plan for me. Nothing wrong at all with it but I was trying to build muscle with really no need to burn fat. I just didn't understand :-(.
    The last several months I began training with much heavier weight lower reps for strength...am really making gains now. Just started a 5x5 program today ( three days a week whole body ) to change things up and keep working on strength and muscle growth. I started eating more and quit worrying about the little 'fat pockets' I have ( they will come off when I cut down ). I can't really make any comments about your training plan as I'm not sure what it is. You should be really clear tho with your trainer whith your goals. No sense wasting money and time.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Curious what did said trainer say about your diet?

Several red flags in your message so far.... Want to hear more.

She said she can't legally tell me too much about what to eat. She just said I need to eat enough. Which I know I need to eat to build muscle. I told her like 4 times. I want big big muscles. I'm not worried about the little fat areas right now either. I didn't know whether this basic outline of a routine was for building muscle, from as much reading as I have done on here, it doesn't sound like it will be beneficial towards my goal of gaining. I told her I don't want to burn muscle off and she agreed with me and stuff and then told me her plan for me. About the diet she said I would need to see a sports nutritionist. Maybe I have to explain to her again my goals or does her plan sound about right to you bodybuilders?

Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Linzzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Seems like she is taking you the functional fitness route...I like!

Just me though, I saw more changes in my body doing compound movements vs isolation exercises and with a full body routine.

Don't think I'll ever really go back to split again, unless I'm super weak in one area.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    She said she can't legally tell me too much about what to eat. She just said I need to eat enough. Which I know I need to eat to build muscle. I told her like 4 times. I want big big muscles. I'm not worried about the little fat areas right now either. I didn't know whether this basic outline of a routine was for building muscle, from as much reading as I have done on here, it doesn't sound like it will be beneficial towards my goal of gaining. I told her I don't want to burn muscle off and she agreed with me and stuff and then told me her plan for me. About the diet she said I would need to see a sports nutritionist. Maybe I have to explain to her again my goals or does her plan sound about right to you bodybuilders?
    That is a legally correct answer and not the worst one she could have given you. Sounds to me like she is relatively new to training as most trainers learn to dance around the strict legal stance she gave you by the time they've had more than a few clients. Results come from diet so taking a strict legal stance too often shoots trainers in the foot.

Here are my red flags

1. metabolic workouts: What for if person is building BIG muscles
    2. 5 days a week training in a row. Sounds more about the money and openings in her schedule than what is optimal for you.

Good points

1. She correctly asserts bicep curls are a waste of your time as a beginner (and YES, I would still call you a beginner) THIS is actually a pretty big deal IMHO and why I think she might be a good enough trainer.
    2. She technically answered the diet question right - BUT if she doesn't wiggle on her stance she may not be much help to you there

Net is she is better than many trainers I have seen and can probably give you results. (Keep in mind though that you can most probably get results with any non-retarded program) You have to decide what you are hiring a trainer for. If you need someone to motivate you in the gym, then you can probably work with her and do a four day program instead. If you need someone to watch your form, you will get benefit from a trainer.

If you want good sure fire programs and nutrition plans, you can do better by purchasing a strength training book (like New Rules of Lifting or 5,3,1) and setting diet goals here.

akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it possible to request some references and have her explain how she's helped similar clients in the past? For example, I have pictures with stories of many of my clients that I make available at consultations so new clients can see how I've helped others with the same goals.

If I were looking for a personal trainer, I would want proof of their skills by getting references, and a good trainer should have many. I always encourage my potential clients to call my current or previous clients, and read testimonials on my website before working with me.
    NASM CPT, NFPT Master Trainer, Psychology Major
    www.figarellesfitness.com
    www.********.com/figarellesfitness
    https://twitter.com/stephfigarelle

Registered User coconuttree2009's Avatar
    coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would think that she is right to suggest full body workout for building more mass as they primarily focus on big compound moves. If you work properly, there is no way you could do full body workouts few days in a row, therefore you would have either rest days or some light cardio between weight lifting days.
    However, I do think that you would benefit more from 3 days of full body workouts and maybe just one metabolic day and one light cardio if you wish so, but if you do cardio and metabolic work, make sure you do eat enough to build muscle mass.

Smile Metabolic?

I'm sorry...but can someone please clarify what she means by metabolic training? Is that conditioning type traing or cardio? I've just never heard it called that. Thanks.

Smile

Never mind. I was on the right track :-). http://baye.com/qa-what-is-metabolic-conditioning/

Registered User coconuttree2009's Avatar
    coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000)
    [QUOTE=bradrad;524684233]I'm sorry...but can someone please clarify what she means by metabolic training? Is that conditioning type traing or cardio? I've just never heard it called that. Thanks.[/QUOTE

There are various types of metabolic work but generally it's a circuit training style workout.