Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Scooby's Fat Loss Calculator

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/caloriecalculator.htm

Any opinions on the variables he selects in calculating calories needed to maintain, and/or lose fat? Seems that any "fat calculator" will be hard pressed to quantify metabolic rates per individual.

So far, it seems to work, in the sense that, I'm now counting calories and protein grams for the first time ever. Calculating what I'm putting onto my plate, and recording it, rather than using the old, "I think this is roughly x calories/protein" approach, I think, is making most of the difference.

I'm 43, 200 lbs., 69" tall, and I'm shooting for a 25% calorie reduction. So, my macro intake, according to Scooby, should be 40/40/20 @ 6 meals per day. I selected 5-6 hours per week of strenuous exercise, and the final calculation results were as follows:

Basal Metabolic Rate: 1926
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE): 3323
    Daily calories based on a reduction goal of 25% less calories (below maintenance) per day: 2492

Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astro_Gym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    btw, 2492 calories for a 25% calorie deficit below daily maintenance seems like a lot of calories. I would have guess that my maintenance wouldve lower by a few hundred, thereby placing me below 2000 calories per day to cut by 25%. I know if I go below 2000 calories per day, I will be quite miserable and highly irritable!

Bump^^

MasterCuzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm about the same stat's as you. 69" 190lbs. wanting to be 175-180 at low bf. I have been using his calculator and tracking my food at fitday.com

By eating clean, working out and tracking my Macro's I have lost probably 5 lbs of fat while adding muscle in a very short period of time maybe 20 day's. So he stuff work's or is pretty close. Play with your macro's and see what work's for you as everyone's body/metabolism etc. is different.
    Last edited by MasterCuzz; 06-11-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: thread is a year old but maybe he was still waiting for a reply

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    seems to calculate on the low side for BMR. (about 200 cals from others I have seen) There is a thread around here somewhere where they posted a great calculator in excel format. But if you look in the stickies you should find some more accurate info.

Also I would not cut by % cals but rather by a specific amount such as 500 (= 1lb per week loss)
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Astro_Gym View Post

Any opinions on the variables he selects in calculating calories needed to maintain, and/or lose fat? Seems that any "fat calculator" will be hard pressed to quantify metabolic rates per individual.

So far, it seems to work, in the sense that, I'm now counting calories and protein grams for the first time ever. Calculating what I'm putting onto my plate, and recording it, rather than using the old, "I think this is roughly x calories/protein" approach, I think, is making most of the difference.

I'm 43, 200 lbs., 69" tall, and I'm shooting for a 25% calorie reduction. So, my macro intake, according to Scooby, should be 40/40/20 @ 6 meals per day. I selected 5-6 hours per week of strenuous exercise, and the final calculation results were as follows:

Basal Metabolic Rate: 1926
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE): 3323
    Daily calories based on a reduction goal of 25% less calories (below maintenance) per day: 2492
    First, although the equations used to calculate this are complex, they are just a very good educated guess! They could be off by 10% but this is far,far better than any chart or rule of thumb but not nearly as good as the real world.

The thing thats really, really tough to take into account is the exercise and its effect on the BMR. How does walking 8hours a day like a postman does compare to 20 minutes of HIIT? How does a 60 minute powerlifting workout compare to a 2 hour bikeride or a 1 hour swim?

Here is what you need to do. Choose a calculator, count calories for two months while carefully monitoring your bodyfat with a skinfold caliper and weighing yourself every day. At the end of the two months, see how the calculator's predicted results compare with reality. For example, if my calculator said you should be losing fat at the rate of 5lbs a month but you lose 6 pounds of fat, then you know that for you, you need to add 116 calories ((3500x1)/30) per day to whatever the calculator tells you.

Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by scooby1961 View Post
    First, although the equations used to calculate this are complex, they are just a very good educated guess! They could be off by 10% but this is far,far better than any chart or rule of thumb but not nearly as good as the real world.

The thing thats really, really tough to take into account is the exercise and its effect on the BMR. How does walking 8hours a day like a postman does compare to 20 minutes of HIIT? How does a 60 minute powerlifting workout compare to a 2 hour bikeride or a 1 hour swim?

Here is what you need to do. Choose a calculator, count calories for two months while carefully monitoring your bodyfat with a skinfold caliper and weighing yourself every day. At the end of the two months, see how the calculator's predicted results compare with reality. For example, if my calculator said you should be losing fat at the rate of 5lbs a month but you lose 6 pounds of fat, then you know that for you, you need to add 116 calories ((3500x1)/30) per day to whatever the calculator tells you.
    lol OMG! is this the THE SCOOBY? huge fan lol, love you're youtube coaching lessons, welcome. To the OP give or take a few calories, my stats etc, my plan is pretty much the same and sounds right, good job, I have been consistent from 190ish of dropping 1-2 lbs per week on this plan like you'res-Ty, FYI I'm low 170ish now about 13% bf coming from 22%bf
    All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the ... day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

Tybalt aka The Phantom Menace
    BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Saw this posted in another forum, and thought it may be of interest to readers of this thread:

http://www.askscooby.com/off-topic/counterintelligence/
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000) 2canman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by scooby1961 View Post

YES!!!!!! lol Scooby i love you man i've always been a huge fan.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    brown-nosing / nut hugging seemingly applies from ages 16-40

I await him in the nutrition section.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Saw this posted in another forum, and thought it may be of interest to readers of this thread: http://www.askscooby.com/off-topic/counterintelligence/
    Talk about good counterintelligence and I'm not talking about the Scooby-Doo guy

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

The scoobyworkshop calories calculator and my Excel spreadsheet are reasonably close.

Excel Spreadsheet:
    http://jerrybruton.files.wordpress.c...-workbook2.xls
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scooby1961 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    brown-nosing / nut hugging seemingly applies from ages 16-40

I await him in the nutrition section.
    I have been told that the best boards here are the over 35, misc, and nutrition so thats where I will be!