Thread: DIY Power Rack?

MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

DIY Power Rack?

Okay so I am FREAKING SICK of having to clean the bar every time I want to do FSQ's, Military Presses etc. I have been looking into possibly getting a power rack yet they cost a fair sum I must admit... Well I have heard of people making there own and from anybody's experience which type would be the best to build for the best price, without spending years to build it?

I seriously need to get one, I could save up but I am already saving up for more plates so what would be the best way to make my own, one that will hold up well?

Thanks as I am sure people have made their own before. I have seen ones for SQ Racks, but I rather have a Power Rack.

smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO save up for a powerrack.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

However, I think it's $100 in wood and materials. I got my rack on CL for $200

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    ^^That is the only home made power rack I've ever seen on here I would trust with my pitiful squat.

The materials to build it also cost well over half the price of many you will find on craigslist.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by smcleod90 View Post
    IMO save up for a powerrack.
    I could but it would take forever to save up $700. And thanks for the instructions, I have a lot of spare wood in my garage so I might try building one. Not sure if mother would allow me to keep it in doors though.

smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smcleod90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MadDogMalesh View Post
    I could but it would take forever to save up $700. And thanks for the instructions, I have a lot of spare wood in my garage so I might try building one. Not sure if mother would allow me to keep it in doors though.
    you could easily find one for under 500$. but if not that one built out of wood looks good, but it also looks like a lot of work

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Do not use "spare wood"

you want to buy very specific clean new straight lumber for this project. frankly unless you have a few years of construction experience I wouldn't try to build this without adult help.

The powerline power rack is still only $300. If you need to buy all the proper tools as well as the lumber this is going to run you well over a hundred.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) oldline70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would think buying used off craigslist would be the way to go if not buying new. Don't know if that's a good option in your area, sometimes they are easy to find but in some places they aren't.

I think unless you are a carpenter or really good at constructing things, the chances of you making something you're going to want to keep around for very long and that doesn't kill you are pretty slim. I've seen some of the homemade racks on here and some are nice and we all know some aren't so nice, nor are they safe.

Think safety first, and think where you'll be after lifting a while when poundages go up.

If you don't have the money for a rack you may have to make some compromises like buying something that will get you thru till you have more money. But by all means, don't skimp of safety.

Originally Posted by oldline70 View Post
    I would think buying used off craigslist would be the way to go if not buying new. Don't know if that's a good option in your area, sometimes they are easy to find but in some places they aren't.

I think unless you are a carpenter or really good at constructing things, the chances of you making something you're going to want to keep around for very long and that doesn't kill you are pretty slim. I've seen some of the homemade racks on here and some are nice and we all know some aren't so nice, nor are they safe.

Think safety first, and think where you'll be after lifting a while when poundages go up.

If you don't have the money for a rack you may have to make some compromises like buying something that will get you thru till you have more money. But by all means, don't skimp of safety.
    After 1.5 months of being on watch for a weight set never even went on sale in my area, there is pretty much nothing ever sold in my area on craigslist. But I definitely wont skimp on safety as my dad is good with building things as hes an engineer so if I decide to build one we'll take the time to do it properly.

wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000) wolfdragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    After 1.5 months of being on watch for a weight set never even went on sale in my area, there is pretty much nothing ever sold in my area on craigslist. But I definitely wont skimp on safety as my dad is good with building things as hes an engineer so if I decide to build one we'll take the time to do it properly.
    I'm in a bad area for used equipment also. It just takes more patience and look under more than sporting. Also check big towns close by. Sometimes driving 30 minutes (maybe more) still doesn't kill a deal.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    don't give up on CL so easily. it could take 6 months to a year to get the really good deal you want, but just keep checking at least 3-4 times a day, every day, for 6 months to a year before you give up.

and while you're doing it save money, be disciplined, and if at the end of your longer search you don't find anything from CL then you will have a better budget to buy new.

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    don't give up on CL so easily. it could take 6 months to a year to get the really good deal you want, but just keep checking at least 3-4 times a day, every day, for 6 months to a year before you give up.

and while you're doing it save money, be disciplined, and if at the end of your longer search you don't find anything from CL then you will have a better budget to buy new.
    I can't afford a new one with all the food and other stuff I have to buy. I am extremely busy during the rest of the year with school and taking care of a disabled brother so theres no time to work thus saving up for this stuff takes a lot longer. So it would be about a year before I actually have the money to buy a PR.

Sucks really thats why I might buy one. Getting really sick of cleaning and getting it perfect.

titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't afford a new one with all the food and other stuff I have to buy. I am extremely busy during the rest of the year with school and taking care of a disabled brother so theres no time to work thus saving up for this stuff takes a lot longer. So it would be about a year before I actually have the money to buy a PR.

Sucks really thats why I might buy one. Getting really sick of cleaning and getting it perfect.
    If you don't need safety pins, and the people using it are similar height, you can just build some boxes like I did:

Perfect for getting into rack position. I do back squats from them too.

Or buy some squat stands. They're a lot cheaper than a rack.

Originally Posted by titwagon View Post
    If you don't need safety pins, and the people using it are similar height, you can just build some boxes like I did:

Perfect for getting into rack position. I do back squats from them too.

Or buy some squat stands. They're a lot cheaper than a rack.
    Yeah Ive seen stuff like that on youtube, not really sure how good those would work. If they were higher and had an elevated part I am sure I could do some OHP's as well with them. Might have to look into getting or building myself a pair.

Would you happen to know of any good stands for a good price?

titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50) titwagon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think you're confused... The bar sits at shoulder height. I move 2" and it's exactly where it would be had I cleaned it.

Originally Posted by titwagon View Post
    I think you're confused... The bar sits at shoulder height. I move 2" and it's exactly where it would be had I cleaned it.
    I got you I was thinking of something else to putting the bar a tad higher but that wouldn't work. The ones you showed in the picture, did you make those boxes?