Registered User TheNewLanceArmstrong's Avatar
    TheNewLanceArmstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Where am I going wrong?

Forums,

I am currently trying to get more cut while still gaining strength and am interested in hearing the forum's opinion on my efforts. I am currently 5' 10", 170lbs with about 13.5% body fat.

Attached in excel format is the workout that I have been following for the past 12 weeks. It was designed by a strength coach. But, as of late I've condensed the 4 day a week workout into a three day a week workout and have cut all legs out because I am training for a half-marathon.

To summarize:

M-W-F (Mornings): Perform the workouts attached in the excel file.
    M-W-F (Evenings): Run between 3 - 8 miles
    M-W-F (Evenings): P90x Ab's Workout

T-TH (Morning): Sleep late
    T-TH (Evening): Road Bike or spin (1hr - 2hr)

At this point in my training I am just trying to get my abs to show and to generally look more cut up. But, at the same time I am trying to maintain my strength (if not improve it).

Should I stick with what I am doing? Should I be doing a total body workout since I am only lifting 3 times a week? Any workout recommendations?

Thank you,

Justin
    Attached Files

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're training for a half-marathon I wouldn't be worrying about much else, especially abs...

jschurman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jschurman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jschurman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your doing a split workout id definitely do the whole body workout. Since you want to avoid legs you should look for some alternatives. Gaining alot of strength will consist of you doing some good compounds lifts such as Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. Although Squatting and Deadlifting will be taking a toll on your legs take a look at doing Barbell Rows and Chinups and Military press. Take a look at my journal its the 5x5 Madcow Program.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ight=jschurman

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    If you're training for a half-marathon I wouldn't be worrying about much else, especially abs...
    Yeh, but the running isn't enough to get me cut up yet. Also, I want to maintain / augment my strength. I don't want to lose a lot of my strength while training for the run.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheNewLanceArmstrong View Post
    Yeh, but the running isn't enough to get me cut up yet. Also, I want to maintain / augment my strength. I don't want to lose a lot of my strength while training for the run.
    I guess the half isn't as bad as the full marathon but if you were training for a full marathon you would be running everyday just to be able to finish the race much less do well in it. I'm predicting if you try to keep strong while running a half-marathon you will not stay very strong and you won't do very well in the race. I mean you could prove me wrong but usually when people attempt to do too much at the same time they fail at both things. Just my advice to focus on one goal at a time. You can take that as you will.

Anyone have any other advice??

Originally Posted by jschurman View Post
    If your doing a split workout id definitely do the whole body workout. Since you want to avoid legs you should look for some alternatives. Gaining alot of strength will consist of you doing some good compounds lifts such as Bench, Squat, and Deadlift. Although Squatting and Deadlifting will be taking a toll on your legs take a look at doing Barbell Rows and Chinups and Military press. Take a look at my journal its the 5x5 Madcow Program.
    What exercises are you doing in addition to those listed in the Madcow program? I believe the term people use in these forums is accessory exercises?