NeosBG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tips for a beginner teen.

Hello!
    I'm 17-year old guy who's been training for one year and a half almost. I still consider myself as a beginner so i'd like to ask something about my split, currently:

Chest & Biceps
    Back, traps, abs
    Shoulders & Triceps
    Legs

They don't have exact days for each workout. I usually go to the gym every other day, so one week i could train on Monday and then the next time i do the same workout it would be Tuesday. I see that most people prefer to combine Chest & Tri's/ Back & Bi's. I tried that for about a month but i wasn't really satisfied with the results. By the time i started doing triceps or biceps respectively they were already pre-exhausted and i just didn't feel right for me. I've been using the split above since i've started lifting. Is it ok or should i really change something and also where should i put my rest days (between which workouts)?
    Thanks!

GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great questions bud. I have done so many variations of splits because like you, some feel great and others don't.

Do the routine that gets you amped to go to the gym but keep in mind three principles: Rest, volume, and frequency.

Since you only did push/pull for 1 month (which is no time at all) can I ask why? How many back exercises were you doing before biceps? And was lowering the weight enough to properly do curls just something you didn't have the energy for?

I think for novices who really insist on doing a split VS. a 3x a week full body workout benefit more from upper/lower splits. Upper/lower hits every muscle 2-3 week and gives ample rest time. Really the best bang for your buck.
    "Where there is gains, there is life."

Gandhi

Originally Posted by GhandiGains View Post
    Great questions bud. I have done so many variations of splits because like you, some feel great and others don't.

Do the routine that gets you amped to go to the gym but keep in mind three principles: Rest, volume, and frequency.

Since you only did push/pull for 1 month (which is no time at all) can I ask why? How many back exercises were you doing before biceps? And was lowering the weight enough to properly do curls just something you didn't have the energy for?

I think for novices who really insist on doing a split VS. a 3x a week full body workout benefit more from upper/lower splits. Upper/lower hits every muscle 2-3 week and gives ample rest time. Really the best bang for your buck.
    Thanks for the reply! I was doing 4 exercises for back just as i am doing now.

GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50) GhandiGains will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NeosBG View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I was doing 4 exercises for back just as i am doing now.
    Layout your current routine with sets/reps and which days you do them

Gandhi

Originally Posted by GhandiGains View Post
    Layout your current routine with sets/reps and which days you do them
    Chest & Biceps:

Bench Press 4x6-12
    Incline Bench Press 4x6-12
    Chest Dips 4x6-12
    DB Flyes 4x6-12
    EZ Bar Curls 3x8-12 (sometimes with a str8 bar)
    Alternating hammer curls 3x8-10
    Rope curls 3x8-10

Back, traps, abs

Pull-ups 4x6-10
    T-Bar row 4x6-12
    Reverse grip BB row 4x6-12
    V-grip lat pulldown 4x6-12
    Shrugs 4x15
    Some random ab exercises for 10-15 mins

Shoulders & Triceps

Overhead press 4x6-12
    Lateral raises 3x6-12
    Face pulls 3x6-12
    Plate front raise 3x6-12
    Dips 4x8-10
    Skullcrushers 3x6-10
    Triceps pushdowns 3x6-10

Legs
    Squats 4x6-10
    Leg press 4x8-12
    Leg extensions 3x6-10
    Leg curls 3x6-10
    Calf raises on leg press 4x12

This is a completely self-made program so i have no idea if it's even optimal.
    There is usually a rest day between each workout but i am willing to start going more frequently.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You'd be a lot better off going to the work out section and looking at fierce 5. Without experience, creating your own workout is a terrible idea. Besides that.....eat. At your age, as long as you stay dedicated you'll see some great gains very quickly. Good luck bud
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    You'd be a lot better off going to the work out section and looking at fierce 5. Without experience, creating your own workout is a terrible idea. Besides that.....eat. At your age, as long as you stay dedicated you'll see some great gains very quickly. Good luck bud
    Thank you!

jjackson556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chest & Biceps:

Bench Press 4x6-12
    Incline Bench Press 4x6-12
    Chest Dips 4x6-12
    DB Flyes 4x6-12
    EZ Bar Curls 3x8-12 (sometimes with a str8 bar)
    Alternating hammer curls 3x8-10
    Rope curls 3x8-10

Back, traps, abs

Pull-ups 4x6-10
    T-Bar row 4x6-12
    Reverse grip BB row 4x6-12
    V-grip lat pulldown 4x6-12
    Shrugs 4x15
    Some random ab exercises for 10-15 mins

Shoulders & Triceps

Overhead press 4x6-12
    Lateral raises 3x6-12
    Face pulls 3x6-12
    Plate front raise 3x6-12
    Dips 4x8-10
    Skullcrushers 3x6-10
    Triceps pushdowns 3x6-10

Legs
    Squats 4x6-10
    Leg press 4x8-12
    Leg extensions 3x6-10
    Leg curls 3x6-10
    Calf raises on leg press 4x12

This is a completely self-made program so i have no idea if it's even optimal.
    There is usually a rest day between each workout but i am willing to start going more frequently.
    Well honestly for a made up program its not to bad, but I think you are expending a lot of effort on exercises that don't really give you much bang for your buck. Things like front plate raises, face pulls, and even the shoulder and chest flies are not going to give you the same benefit as compound movements.
    An example chest workout:

Flat Bench: 4x8 @ 70%
    Incline DB: 4x10 @ 60%
    Dips: 10 on the min for 10 min

It's not complicated but there is a planned rep and load range. I think that helps rather than just seeing how it goes. Hope it helps
    Jake

Former Marine Officer, Current Police Officer, Crossfit Lvl 1 Coach, All Around Odd Job

Originally Posted by jjackson556 View Post
    Well honestly for a made up program its not to bad, but I think you are expending a lot of effort on exercises that don't really give you much bang for your buck. Things like front plate raises, face pulls, and even the shoulder and chest flies are not going to give you the same benefit as compound movements.
    An example chest workout:

Flat Bench: 4x8 @ 70%
    Incline DB: 4x10 @ 60%
    Dips: 10 on the min for 10 min

It's not complicated but there is a planned rep and load range. I think that helps rather than just seeing how it goes. Hope it helps
    Ofc i helps, every piece of advice does! I just don't get what "10 on the min for 10 min" means.

Ofc i helps, every piece of advice does! I just don't get what "10 on the min for 10 min" means.
    You won't be able to do that and it's too much volume anyway. He's saying every minute you do 10 dips. So 10 dips, rest until start of minute 2, 10 dips, rest until minute 3 starts...don't do this.

Instead start with 3 sets to failure and once you can do 3x12 with body weight, add dumbbells between your legs.

Gandhi