Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

teens and bulking

im 19 now so i figured i only have a few more years of higher than adult male testosterone levels so im going to bulk for 6 months.In fact i've already started.Is this generally what all you guys did if you started weightlifting when you were a teen.

Did you bulk with a programme based around compound movements(hardgainers especially)
    Did you remain consistent at a certain calorie level and just tried to increase your weights(e.g build muscle lose fat)

or
    Did you dirty bulk to your desired weight and then cut (using a workout programme that had lots of isolation exercises)

I'd just like to know what everyones story is cos in my group of friends they all seem to be following the last and growing like weeds.
    Its not fair but what can you do.Damn mesomorphs

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You MUST gain weight. If you do it slowly, you won't add much fat. If you don't do it however, you can't gaurantee to recomp - you might just stall instead.

This is what I would do at your weight and height.

Eat mainly reasonably lean meat and starch (potato, rice, wholegrain bread etc). It's boring but it will help you gain lean muscle.

scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottygrape is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You MUST gain weight. If you do it slowly, you won't add much fat. If you don't do it however, you can't gaurantee to recomp - you might just stall instead.

Eat mainly reasonably lean meat and starch (potato, rice, wholegrain bread etc). It's boring but it will help you gain lean muscle.
    definatly correct

Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

i was actually just discussing teens and bulking.I myself respond better to low car,medium fat,high protein bulks with a carb load every 21st meal(i eat 7 meals a day).Thanks for trying to give me advice but tbh i was just bitching about how it seems so easy for other people

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Roniboney View Post
    im 19 now so i figured i only have a few more years of higher than adult male testosterone levels so im going to bulk for 6 months.In fact i've already started.Is this generally what all you guys did if you started weightlifting when you were a teen.

Did you bulk with a programme based around compound movements(hardgainers especially)
    Did you remain consistent at a certain calorie level and just tried to increase your weights(e.g build muscle lose fat)

or
    Did you dirty bulk to your desired weight and then cut (using a workout programme that had lots of isolation exercises)

I'd just like to know what everyones story is cos in my group of friends they all seem to be following the last and growing like weeds.
    Its not fair but what can you do.Damn mesomorphs
    This is bull. Do not hide behind a body/somo type as an excuse. Too many people do this and lead others to beleive it.

Eat more food while lifting heavy in the big compounds.

i was actually just discussing teens and bulking.I myself respond better to low car,medium fat,high protein bulks with a carb load every 21st meal(i eat 7 meals a day).Thanks for trying to give me advice but tbh i was just bitching about how it seems so easy for other people
    At 5'11" and 153 lbs how can you say that you know what you repsond well to when bulking?? Quit bitching and eat more food while squatting heavy and often. You'll get big and strong.
    Last edited by Farley1324; 07-20-2010 at 12:05 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Low carb diets seems foolish if you are trying to gain muscle. That is more like a fat loss strategy

I suspect your problems stem from being unwilling to eat enough and possibly worrying about a little fat gain. Blaming ****tatypes is a non starter - they are junk science. Anyone can eat enough to gain weight if they are committed enough.

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    This is bull. Do not hide behind a body/somo type as an excuse. Too many people do this and lead others to beleive it.

Eat more food while lifting heavy in the big compounds.

At 5'11" and 153 lbs how can you say that you know what you repsond well to when bulking?? Quit bitching and eat more food while squatting heavy and often. You'll get big and strong.
    dude here i came down from 200bs of **** so dont start insulting me.Literally this is the first time the bodybuilding.com community has insulted me and your not helping me.

I lift with heavy compounds now.I had an eating disorder about a year ago where i didnt eat anything cos i was afraid of being fat.I've gained twenty pounds and i'm worried about getting fat again.Im at around 13% bodyfat and am trying to gain as lean as possible.In future lease give constructive criticism instead of insulting me

cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10) cyu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Someone is offended..on the internet???

Farley might be a lil harsh in his word's but it holds truth. You're really that worried about body fat and only want to gain lean, than just do a light caloric surplus and keep count of everything, but I don't really consider that bulking.

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    dude here i came down from 200bs of **** so dont start insulting me.Literally this is the first time the bodybuilding.com community has insulted me and your not helping me.

I lift with heavy compounds now.I had an eating disorder about a year ago where i didnt eat anything cos i was afraid of being fat.I've gained twenty pounds and i'm worried about getting fat again.Im at around 13% bodyfat and am trying to gain as lean as possible.In future lease give constructive criticism instead of insulting me
    Dude, you opened by asking for feedback from hardgainers specifically and then you (admittedly) bitched about others gaining so easily. Now you are saying you had an eating disorder and were overweight before dieting down by 70 or so pounds. Those are two rather different situations, aren't they?

So is your problem that other people can gain so much more easily than you or that you are afraid of gaining too much too fast?

BTW: I didn't insult. I told you to eat more food, lift heavy weights, and get big and strong. Don't you want to get big and strong?

Dude, you opened by asking for feedback from hardgainers specifically and then you (admittedly) bitched about others gaining so easily. Now you are saying you had an eating disorder and were overweight before dieting down by 70 or so pounds. Those are two rather different situations, aren't they?

So is your problem that other people can gain so much more easily than you or that you are afraid of gaining too much too fast?

BTW: I didn't insult. I told you to eat more food, lift heavy weights, and get big and strong. Don't you want to get big and strong?
    i realise it doesn't seem so credible but atm now i find it hard to gain any weight.Beforehand it was easy cos i was binge drinking,eating pizzas every day and generally living an unhealthy life.It is very hard to eat 3500 calories of clean food as you know

look i have accepted what you guys are telling me and i've made myself a diet consisting of largely carbs,proteins and fats.I'm doing the derek charlebois 12 week bulking trainer atm but would a 5*5 programme be better for mass gains.

Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dude here i came down from 200bs of **** so dont start insulting me. I had an eating disorder about a year ago where i didnt eat anything cos i was afraid of being fat.I've gained twenty pounds and i'm worried about getting fat again.
    This is probably why you have such a hard time gaining weight.

look i have accepted what you guys are telling me and i've made myself a diet consisting of largely carbs,proteins and fats.I'm doing the derek charlebois 12 week bulking trainer atm but would a 5*5 programme be better for mass gains.
    All carbs should be starchy carbs - avoid sugar as much as humanly possible

Have high carbs/protein on workout days (e.g. chicken breast and potato and veg)

Have high fats/protein on non workout days (e.g. chicken wings and salad)

Try to have little before the workout and a huge meal post workout, i.e. put the calories where they count.

Remember to eat fruit and veg

Any weight training program that makes you stronger will make you gain mass in the context of a caloric surplus

All carbs should be starchy carbs - avoid sugar as much as humanly possible

Have high carbs/protein on workout days (e.g. chicken breast and potato and veg)

Have high fats/protein on non workout days (e.g. chicken wings and salad)

Try to have little before the workout and a huge meal post workout, i.e. put the calories where they count.

Remember to eat fruit and veg

Any weight training program that makes you stronger will make you gain mass in the context of a caloric surplus
    you mean processed sugar right.Not like the sugar in fruits and milk?

Also should i be on a programme that focuses entirely on compound lifts if i want to gain as much mass as possible

Also should i be on a programme that focuses entirely on compound lifts if i want to gain as much mass as possible
    Don't worry about the sugar in fruit and milk.

The focus should be entirely compounds, yes. There can be isolations, but they won't be the focus

Yup. I should have said, the problem is not the distinction between a simple vs. a complex carb (sugar v starch), the problem is actually that refined carbs (including sugar) do not come with the vitamins that nature provided which your body needs to properly metabolise the energy in the carb.

Milk and fruit - knock yourself out

Yup. I should have said, the problem is not the distinction between a simple vs. a complex carb (sugar v starch), the problem is actually that refined carbs (including sugar) do not come with the vitamins that nature provided which your body needs to properly metabolise the energy in the carb.

Milk and fruit - knock yourself out
    how does this look then

Meal 1:80g oats,1/2 grapefruit,4 egg whites,1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Meal 2:2oz cooked chicken breast,1/2 cup dry brown rice(1 cup cooked?),1 cup green beans(125g cooked),2 tsp flax oil

Meal 3wo shake of 1 scoop whey with 1 tsp creatine,1 tab glucosamine and 2 bcaas tablets

Meal 4: 30-45 mins after training . sweet potatoe 8oz cooked,2 cups green beans,1 tbsp natural peanut butter,3oz tuna

Meal 5:same as meal 2

Meal 6:100g wholewheat pasta,2oz chicken,1 cup green beans,2 tsp flax oil

Meal 7:1/2 grapefruit,4oz lean meat or 1 scoop ON casein(only if i'm in a pinch will i use this),1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Calories are around 3450 with 175 protein,84.5 fat,420 carb

time frequency will be as follows
    7am,9am,11.15-30am,12pm,3pm,6pm,9pm

supplementing with fish oil,flax oil,creatine,bcaas.glucosamine,sesamin,cla

Don't worry about the sugar in fruit and milk.

The focus should be entirely compounds, yes. There can be isolations, but they won't be the focus
    ok cool thanks dude.I'm going to try a 5 by 5 routine and see how that goes.I'm sorry if my thread and credibility seem bull**** but i am legit and am really looking to get bigger.Im sorry if some of the stuff i said angered you and i appreciate your advice

how does this look then

Meal 1:80g oats,1/2 grapefruit,4 egg whites,1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Meal 2:2oz cooked chicken breast,1/2 cup dry brown rice(1 cup cooked?),1 cup green beans(125g cooked),2 tsp flax oil

Meal 3wo shake of 1 scoop whey with 1 tsp creatine,1 tab glucosamine and 2 bcaas tablets

Meal 4: 30-45 mins after training . sweet potatoe 8oz cooked,2 cups green beans,1 tbsp natural peanut butter,3oz tuna

Meal 5:same as meal 2

Meal 6:100g wholewheat pasta,2oz chicken,1 cup green beans,2 tsp flax oil

Meal 7:1/2 grapefruit,4oz lean meat or 1 scoop ON casein(only if i'm in a pinch will i use this),1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Calories are around 3450 with 175 protein,84.5 fat,420 carb

time frequency will be as follows
    7am,9am,11.15-30am,12pm,3pm,6pm,9pm

supplementing with fish oil,flax oil,creatine,bcaas.glucosamine,sesamin,cla
    Some observations:
    - don't avoid egg yolks. They will not give you cholesterol
    - there is no real reason for having so many small meals. You could equally well have 3 large meals. 6-8 meals a day is old bodybuilding dogma
    - no need for BCAAs if you are taking whey
    - don't avoid normal potato vs. sweet potato - GI is a bunch of bull. If you prefer sweet potato then fine
    - flax oil, bcaas, glucosamine and sesamin are all worthless IMO

Some observations:
    - don't avoid egg yolks. They will not give you cholesterol
    - there is no real reason for having so many small meals. You could equally well have 3 large meals. 6-8 meals a day is old bodybuilding dogma
    - no need for BCAAs if you are taking whey
    - don't avoid normal potato vs. sweet potato - GI is a bunch of bull. If you prefer sweet potato then fine
    - flax oil, bcaas, glucosamine and sesamin are all worthless IMO
    well i really dont want to overload on the fats man.6-8 meals a day is good for me because i enjoy it.thats the thing i might stop taking my whey and just use bcass.I heard that bcaas are just as good as whey.Ye i saw a video from Brad Pilon on youtube comparing low and high G.I carbs and ye there is a minimal difference really.Flax oil isn't a bad idea imo cos my fish oil supplement only has 1g of fish oil per 3 tablets so i really only get 4 or 5 g of fish oil a day.

I have a weak knee for birth and there was a time when my kness really hurt from deadlifts and squats.I stopped working legs for about 3 weeks and started taking glucosamine.It really helps imo so it stays.

How does my diet look though?

Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jerezilla is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well i really dont want to overload on the fats man.6-8 meals a day is good for me because i enjoy it.thats the thing i might stop taking my whey and just use bcass.I heard that bcaas are just as good as whey.Ye i saw a video from Brad Pilon on youtube comparing low and high G.I carbs and ye there is a minimal difference really.Flax oil isn't a bad idea imo cos my fish oil supplement only has 1g of fish oil per 3 tablets so i really only get 4 or 5 g of fish oil a day.

I have a weak knee for birth and there was a time when my kness really hurt from deadlifts and squats.I stopped working legs for about 3 weeks and started taking glucosamine.It really helps imo so it stays.

i mite not be the most ripped guy in the world but honestly i eat whatever as long as its not beyond common sense like eating a doughnut

Don't be afraid of fat, eating fat does not make you fat and does not raise your cholesterol

Flax oil does not convert efficiently into EPA/DHA - better to take more fish oil

Actually, glucosamine is fine, I was thinking of glutamine which is a waste of time.

BCAAs are not just as good as whey - they are an acceptable stop gap if you need to train fasted for some reason. You need protein, that's a fundamental.

Your diet is fine if a little boring, I would vary it a lot on a day to day basis, different meats, different vegetables.

If you don't get tired of preparing 7 meals a day then fine.

Don't be afraid of fat, eating fat does not make you fat and does not raise your cholesterol

Flax oil does not convert efficiently into EPA/DHA - better to take more fish oil

Actually, glucosamine is fine, I was thinking of glutamine which is a waste of time.

BCAAs are not just as good as whey - they are an acceptable stop gap if you need to train fasted for some reason. You need protein, that's a fundamental.

Your diet is fine if a little boring, I would vary it a lot on a day to day basis, different meats, different vegetables.

If you don't get tired of preparing 7 meals a day then fine.

oh ye i know the importance of fats dont worry there.I really dont like the yolk.Lol.I already knew that about flax seed oil but my fish oil is pretty ****ty.Its only got 1mg of fish oil per 3 capsules.I bought a 250 cap container but that'd mean i'd spend a lot of money

Oh dont worry i will vary it for the meats cos i would get bored.ok so the whey stays.

Ne1 want to help me out some more on this then.Im currently at around 3700 kcal cos i was losing weight at 3000.I dont mind gaining a little fat cos i will cut that away in like 6 months

Ne1 want to help me out some more on this then.Im currently at around 3700 kcal cos i was losing weight at 3000.I dont mind gaining a little fat cos i will cut that away in like 6 months
    Help you out on what?

You want us to show up on your doorstep and force food down your throat?

Help you out on what?

You want us to show up on your doorstep and force food down your throat?
    ok yes that would be nice. I'm just looking for more experienced people to give me more tips on what i can do to maximize my time bulking.

Ok so i'll admit my comment was stupid.Heres a good one

I'm doing a 3 day full body workout and should i do 20 mins cardio afterwards or do 2 cardio sessions on 2 of my 4 off days? If the answer is yes i should do cardio should it be L.I.S.S,M.I.S.S OR H.I.I.T

ok yes that would be nice. I'm just looking for more experienced people to give me more tips on what i can do to maximize my time bulking.

Ok so i'll admit my comment was stupid.Heres a good one

I'm doing a 3 day full body workout and should i do 20 mins cardio afterwards or do 2 cardio sessions on 2 of my 4 off days? If the answer is yes i should do cardio should it be L.I.S.S,M.I.S.S OR H.I.I.T

Cardio for what purpose?

Cardio for what purpose?
    keep the heart healthy and my cardiovascular fitness at a reasonable level so that i wont be dead when i start doing cardio again when i start cutting

keep the heart healthy and my cardiovascular fitness at a reasonable level so that i wont be dead when i start doing cardio again when i start cutting
    You have to be careful with cardio as it can interfere with recovery...especially if you aren't quite eating enough to begin with. Not saying that you aren't, but based on your height and weight you do need to be eating a lot of food.

I'd go 1-2 days of lowish intensity steady state that doesn't last too long and isn't very difficult...not done in your workout window

You have to be careful with cardio as it can interfere with recovery...especially if you aren't quite eating enough to begin with. Not saying that you aren't, but based on your height and weight you do need to be eating a lot of food.

I'd go 1-2 days of lowish intensity steady state that doesn't last too long and isn't very difficult...not done in your workout window
    ok dude thanks a lot.Here I'm sorry if my past comments annoyed you man i'm just desperate to make my gains as lean as possible.Thanks for your help man.Repped