Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by denbrkln View Post
    How do you stop at 90 degrees if you start at 90 degrees? Or like barely below that?
    I think OP is measuring 0 degrees at the lockout position, so 90 would be elbows at sides.

You're probably thinking of 0 being elbows at sides?

I don't think of either as right or wrong since it's relative.

Originally Posted by TheRealCartman View Post
    The bottom part of the motion is mostly pecs, the top part is triceps dominant - by going from lockout to 90deg you're not getting much pec work.
    Confusing, why is this? I thought how much triceps involvement there was depended on how much someone was bending their elbows, form-dependent.

Originally Posted by J_Bo View Post
    ^^^ this
    Stopping at 90 degrees sounds more like a triceps exercise.
    If you kept a vertical forearm it'd barely be a triceps exercise. Obviously muscles crossing the shoulders are working the elbow.

If you watch Ronnie Coleman, or Franco Columbo, Jay Cutler... the go down to full stretch and only go up to just past 90, to keep tensions on the pecs.
    Is that what they say? Some people just like to emphasize the stretched portion since it's harder and they feel it's better for all-around hypertrophy, as opposed to emphasizing 1 mover over the other.

Originally Posted by BlueSasquatch View Post
    The bottom part of the bench is what hits your pecs, not the lock out part
    I really thought this depended on form. A press is a compound movement regardless of what position in the RoM you're at.

Originally Posted by davidolson22 View Post
    I used to only go to 90 degrees, but then I learned the correct form for bench press and can now touch my chest without any discomfort (other than that of holding more than I weigh in my hands)
    Benching has no proper form since it has variations, but if you do it elbows-in powerlifter style the elbows can sink deeper, yeah.

Originally Posted by megaman77 View Post
    how many bodybuilders or even powerlifters do you see stop at 90degrees?
    I've seen Scooby stop at 90 when doing floor presses, and he's got a decent chest. As for powerlifters, some use such ridiculous archs that (even though the shoulder joint is in hyperextension) I'm not sure their elbows do go below bench level, lol.

The thing here is people: touching your chest requires different angles of motion for people with different body dimensions. If you have long forearms and short upper arms, you would have to hyperextend the shoulder a lot more than someone with long upper arms and short forearms. Guys with big chests/guts also don't have to use at much RoM to be able to touch the torso.

People's shoulder joints are also constructed differently, so some people might impinge more easily at extreme RoMs than others. This is something we should keep in mind when raging at people for stopping early.

If it feels fine, going deep is good, but if anybody's getting pain and can't fix it, forcing it may not be worth it if it injures them.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 03-11-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Registered physio(almost) wjs010's Avatar
    wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wjs010 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pretty good answers here, but I'll give you the best. Firstly, notice your grip while benching? Your thumbs face your ears right? This causes impengement of your supraspinatus (RC) , and you may not want to even bench at all.
    using a neutral grip with dumbbell may be better for you.
    However if you have no pain doing that then do go down all the way. If you don't, your joints will suffer. When you go all the way down, elastic energy preloads the tendons that allow bones to be moved by muscle contraction. This pre load sends signals from the Cns to the spindle fibers that run parallel to muscles and you will be more powerful in your bench. Always use a full ROM to prevent injury. As for the shoulder involvement, just don't go too wide and you'll be fine. Don't lockout either or then your elbows may suffer. You will get a more developed chest than doing partials. Good luck.

lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50) lyze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    post video of your form, I'd suggest, tucking your elbows more (just like dave tate states) and bringing it lower on your chest perhaps
    I rep back

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by wjs010 View Post
    Your thumbs face your ears right? This causes impengement of your supraspinatus (RC) , and you may not want to even bench at all. using a neutral grip with dumbbell may be better for you.
    Thumb angle can be changed through pronation/supination (in dumbbell pressing) which doesn't affect the rotor cuff in the slightest.

Are you talking about elbows-out benching? Like this: Guillotine?

Then there is the power lift which is the opposite, elbows scraping the sides of the body.

Then there is the standard http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html which appears to be halfway in between with elbows only abducted ~45ish?

When you go all the way down, elastic energy preloads the tendons that allow bones to be moved by muscle contraction. This pre load sends signals from the Cns to the spindle fibers that run parallel to muscles and you will be more powerful in your bench.
    The stretch reflex is as much dependent on the speed of the eccentric as it is the range of motion used.

A fast eccentric does use the stretch reflex more than a slow one, but it is also more dangerous and involves higher forces. The faster the bar drops, the more momentum builds up that you have to rapidly counteract when you catch it at the bottom.

Always use a full ROM to prevent injury.
    People can get injured using a full RoM, so I'm not sure what's being said here. Heavier weights done through a partial RoM may make people more prone to injury in a stretched position if they are unable to lift the bar, but if there is something else stopping you from going into a stretched position (a power rack, doing a floor press) I don't see why partials would have a higher potential for injury.

You will get a more developed chest than doing partials. Good luck.
    Chest development depends on form and weight used as much as RoM. Guy who benches to 90 for 200lbs might end up having better chest development than guy who benches 50lbs to chest. As could someone who de-emphasizes help from the triceps by keeping hands above elbows.

Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sluggy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    "I do not touch my chest when I bench-press, and I also keep my arms out wide making a T with my frame..I come down to about a hair below 90 degrees..When I started doing this I felt I was getting a better pump and overall workout in my pectorals..People want to talk sh!t about not touching your chest, but they are just hearing what other people say and spitting it back out with never actually trying it for themselves..Most people that emphasize touching the chest usually arch their back like crazy which decreases the distance between the barbell and chest, and have thick torsos so even when they touch their chest its still only 90 degrees. The key to muscular development is pushing passed thresholds, you can't effectively work your pectorals if you are a thin framed guy, because when you touch your chest your shoulders will give out on you before you can effectively fatigue your pectorals. If you stop at 90 degrees keeping your arms out in a T you can cause a bigger stimulus to your chest because you will be able to do more weight (maybe not the first few weeks) and you will be isolating your chest more. I am repping out 315 for over 12 on flat bench, and 8+ on incline..hate all you want but my chest is a lot more developed than most the people posting on this forum." -Matt Marino

Ok I bumped this because this is very misunderstood. But Marino got it right. When you go past 90 degrees the weight gets transferred to your shoulders from your chest. You don’t recruit more muscle fibers in your chest by going below 90...and that isn’t even a natural position to put press from. When you do that what happens is your shoulder does the work and it’s a recipe for a shoulder blowout. This isn’t a problem if you are shorter, not as long arms, and have more of a barrel chest because going to your chest is not likewise going below 90… however if you are taller with longer arms like an ecto like me (6’2 long arms originally 130lbs with a naturally thin chest) and you are taught to go to your chest (below 90), that can wreck your shoulders and mess up your chest gains. The proof is in the pudding why do I max bench 180 lbs yet have larger shoulders/arms than Matt Marino who can bench over 400? Common sense says the taller, thinner, smaller chested guy has smaller delts and arms… but I don’t because I benched incorrectly for so long and my shoulders grew instead of my chest (which has resulted in other shoulder medical issues as well).
    Last edited by Sluggy; 03-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Originally Posted by Sluggy View Post
    When you go past 90 degrees the weight gets transferred to your shoulders from your chest.
    How so? Wouldn't both chest and shoulders be working at all angles regardless?

You don’t recruit more muscle fibers in your chest by going below 90...and that isn’t even a natural position to put press from.
    Based on what? Since when is one movement more 'natural' than the other?

It may be unusual to press this way while lying supine, but you'll notice if you do push ups that stopping with elbows at your sides doesn't make your chest touch the ground.

When you do that what happens is your shoulder does the work and it’s a recipe for a shoulder blowout.
    Still really confused why the shoulder would suddenly become more active. Can anyone explain?

doctormaligno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It a bit confusing the 90º matter, with opposite opinions about it. What's the consensus?

DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DramaLLama090 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Going past 90 just puts more stress on the shoulders

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Learn how to bench properly before coming on here and saying below 90 hurts. You obviously know nothing about benching.

Do not claim that you can even bench press if you stay above 90, thats not even a bench press. Its a tricep movement without the boards. You did NOT bench press 400, you half bench pressed 400, and if we really wanted to be anal we could "half" that as well and say that you benched 200, cuz you only did half the movement.

If your RC is screwed, DONT BENCH! Its not going to be the end of the world and your chest muscle wont dissappear if you take a couple months off of bench pressing. Do this thing called research and learn about the RC, find your weak spot, exercise it, fix it.

If your RC hurts from """""benching"""", don't tell people that it's bad for them to go any lower than you. You're the dumbass that didn't learn how to bench properly in the first place causing your own injury.

Lastly, enough with the bench below 90 threads!!

/rant. friggin bench threads.

Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leg0pc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by zildjian_4 View Post
    Learn how to bench properly before coming on here and saying below 90 hurts. You obviously know nothing about benching.

Do not claim that you can even bench press if you stay above 90, thats not even a bench press. Its a tricep movement without the boards. You did NOT bench press 400, you half bench pressed 400, and if we really wanted to be anal we could "half" that as well and say that you benched 200, cuz you only did half the movement.

If your RC is screwed, DONT BENCH! Its not going to be the end of the world and your chest muscle wont dissappear if you take a couple months off of bench pressing. Do this thing called research and learn about the RC, find your weak spot, exercise it, fix it.

If your RC hurts from """""benching"""", don't tell people that it's bad for them to go any lower than you.

/wrong.

I believe one or two people already posted the correct response in this thread. It all depends on limb length in specific limbs, flexibility, chest size, and form. A general comment of "touch the chest is correct" or "only 90 degrees is correct" are both wrong.

Best advice I can give, work with a PT who can watch your form and see you from a third person angle. Don't continue to hurt yourself because people in a forum told you to.

GL
    PT - ISSA Certified
    Sports Medicine - NASM
    Nutritionist - NASM

Workout Vlog www.youtube.com/leg0

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)

If your RC hurts from """""benching"""", don't tell people that it's bad for them to go any lower than you. You're the dumbass that didn't learn how to bench properly in the first place causing your own injury.

Originally Posted by Leg0pc View Post
    /wrong.
    Let the ****storm begin!

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it doesn't touch your chest, it isn't a bench press, it is a partial.

If you can't figure out how to touch your chest without shoulder pain, then do partials. But understand it is a different exercise.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Registered User RelentlessFocus's Avatar
    RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I agree 100% with this, most people that complain of shoulder pain when benchpressing have ****ty form and dont know how to benchpress

If you dont lower it to your chest your not actually "benchpressing" that much weight, i can squat 500lbs if i go to 90 degrees or even a bit lower, i sure as **** cant do it going parallel and i dont claim i have a 500lb squat. Why dont you stop lifting with your ego, swallow your pride and reduce the the weight until you can do the exercise properly with the full range of motion?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
    of our training"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered User RelentlessFocus's Avatar
    RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10) RelentlessFocus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I agree 100% with this, most people that complain of shoulder pain when benchpressing have ****ty form and dont know how to benchpress. Dont start complaining that your arms are too long or that your torso is too small. Learn to do the exercise properly, stop lifting with your ego and lower the weight until your doing the full ROM.

If you dont lower it to your chest your not actually "benchpressing" that much weight, i can squat 500lbs if i go to 90 degrees or even a bit lower, i sure as **** cant do it going parallel.
    "We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
    of our training"

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Leg0pc View Post
    /wrong.

I believe one or two people already posted the correct response in this thread. It all depends on limb length in specific limbs, flexibility, chest size, and form. A general comment of "touch the chest is correct" or "only 90 degrees is correct" are both wrong.

Best advice I can give, work with a PT who can watch your form and see you from a third person angle. Don't continue to hurt yourself because people in a forum told you to.

GL

I have long arms, I bench fine. I had poor flexibility, I work(ed) on it, I have 0 discomfort touching my chest. My chest was smaller before, bigger now, it has reduced the ROM slightly but even when I was smaller, my shoulders were comfortable. Form, well, I don't think I need to get into that, your form should be spot on or you shouldn't be complaining because it's your own fault you're hurting yourself.

Now, I'm sure there are the select few out there with a certain medical condition that doesn't allow them to safely or comfortably touch their chest. But, unless the doc tells them they can't because of their genetics(flexibility isn't an excuse, it's something you improve), then they have no reason to not work on their shoulder mobility and touch their chest.

I guess I should put a disclaimer in my sig letting people know that my advice goes for the 99% lol..

jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    If it doesn't touch your chest, it isn't a bench press, it is a partial.

If you can't figure out how to touch your chest without shoulder pain, then do partials. But understand it is a different exercise.
    the end

clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10) clifkeen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know I'm a bit late but I'll respond anyway.

I have benched 90 degrees maybe a little lower all my life. And guess what, my chest is my best bodypart! (6'3", 235, 12% bf btw).
    I could give a flying duck what anyone thinks. It works for me. You don't think it's a bench. I don't care! it works for me! After my chest workout, my chest is pumped and often sore for days, triceps exercise my foot.
    The point I am trying to make is: find out for yourself what works for YOU; benching around 90 degrees will not aggravate your shoulder injury much, if at all. Find out if it works for you and don't care what other people say.
    Unless you're a powerlifter, results and safety matters, nothing more. When somebody tells you to either bench full ROM, or don't bench at all, you know you're dealing with idiots. When someone tells you to "be a man" and bench full ROM, tell that person to go %#@$@$. Do your thing man.

cheers

Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pakina is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stopping at 90 degrees sounds more like a triceps exercise.
    Does that mean if we want to build more triceps and less chest, partials are more ideal?

illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illriginalized has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nope.. you want full ROM so your strength is at full ROM. (ROM = Range of motion)

My elbows pretty much go below the bench.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

🚷 Anti-Degeneracy League 🚷

https://www.twitter.com/eyeonpalestine

Mossad acronym: ISIS AKA Israeli Secret Intelligence Service

backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10) backspace412 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have no clue whats better whats worse or what hurts..... havent been working out long enough and I dont lift very heavy though i try but i stop about 1-2 inches above my chest so i know i wont bounce

4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 4everalone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lower weight & fix form. (do slow controlled negatives)

stopping at 90% on BARBELL bench press is stupid because the last half of the rep is mostly tricep. If you're gonna do half reps, atleast do them on db press.
    Follows Chestbrah's training routine crew

killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000) killapig is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 4everalone View Post
    lower weight & fix form. (do slow controlled negatives)

stopping at 90% on BARBELL bench press is stupid because the last half of the rep is mostly tricep. If you're gonna do half reps, atleast do them on db press.
    I agree, people saying stop at 90 degrees is stupid, its a myth people created so they could do more weight and not have to go down as far and give themselves a reason to justify it. What everyone is missing is that the pain in shoulders is from not retracting the scapula and tucking the elbows. That movement protects the shoulders. You start flaring elbows and not setting up aka retracting scapula and your going to hurt your damn shoulders. And I've done it both ways. My friend would load up 3 or 4 plates on bench and barely go down to 90 degrees probably even higher and would brag about how much he benches then I would tell him go to chest and he could barely do 275. People need to set the ego aside, do the movement right and stop trying to make excuses.

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by killapig View Post
    I agree, people saying stop at 90 degrees is stupid, its a myth people created so they could do more weight and not have to go down as far and give themselves a reason to justify it. What everyone is missing is that the pain in shoulders is from not retracting the scapula and tucking the elbows. That movement protects the shoulders. You start flaring elbows and not setting up aka retracting scapula and your going to hurt your damn shoulders. And I've done it both ways. My friend would load up 3 or 4 plates on bench and barely go down to 90 degrees probably even higher and would brag about how much he benches then I would tell him go to chest and he could barely do 275. People need to set the ego aside, do the movement right and stop trying to make excuses.
    Old thread is old.
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by killapig View Post
    Thank you. We are all better because of this post. I hope OP goes back to 2010 and rethinks his entire life.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Thank you. We are all better because of this post. I hope OP goes back to 2010 and rethinks his entire life.
    I wish you could go back to 2006 and rethink ever joining this forum.
    ***Anyone With "Crew" in Their Signature Sucks Balls Crew***

Lift till the pains gone. Livestrong7's Avatar
    Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Livestrong7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Originally Posted by megaman77 View Post
    sorry cant understand you

btw- stats: 5'10 138lb
    Cold blooded hahaha

IMO 80/20

SHUT UP AND BENCH*

*statement excludes ppl who already gave themselves a rc injury
    KEEP Calm and ... LIFT On★★★★★
    ~
    Every time you skip legs.. a puppy dies
    ~
    ***"NO CREW" CREW***
    ~
    99 problems but a bench ain't one

Registered User benjaminpeiffer's Avatar
    benjaminpeiffer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    <<<Military personal Trainer. First I prefer the 1-2 inches for flat press, and then a hair past 90 for incline on barbell (which you should be doing incline more often than flat anyway). Second like most of the others said you should seriously be avoiding barbells and high weights if you have damaged any muscle in close relevance to your chest. Third you should avoid taking any advice from half the idiots who cant even seem to spell the color "red", or just say stop being a "pussy" touch your chest.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How the he77 does a 5 year old post keep getting replies??
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100) Philosophicles is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    How the he77 does a 5 year old post keep getting replies??
    Idk brah.

Grosvenor21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but...

Originally Posted by RelentlessFocus View Post
    I agree 100% with this, most people that complain of shoulder pain when benchpressing have ****ty form and dont know how to benchpress. Dont start complaining that your arms are too long or that your torso is too small. Learn to do the exercise properly, stop lifting with your ego and lower the weight until your doing the full ROM..
    I've been struggling with this issue for a while now and just finished reading a crap-ton in forum posts about it. The full ROM argument for going till the chest doesn't make sense. How many people back squat with full ROM? Almost no one, as the consensus is to just break parallel and no further. This is a good example of full ROM being counter-productive.