Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ended up with a "B" in CSC 201. Feels pretty good man, shooting for that A in 202 though!

EDIT: CSC 201 was entirely Java and so is 202. Do you brahs think it would be wise to keep messing with Java over summer or maybe delve into a different language for a bit? Was thinking Python if anything.

Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000) Lobo13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jj00ee View Post
    Ended up with a "B" in CSC 201. Feels pretty good man, shooting for that A in 202 though!

EDIT: CSC 201 was entirely Java and so is 202. Do you brahs think it would be wise to keep messing with Java over summer or maybe delve into a different language for a bit? Was thinking Python if anything.
    I'd suggest C# but I'm bias.
    You can't make all the people happy all the time, only some people happy some of the time.

Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000)

I got a B- in my OS class. My prof's tests are tough as hell.
    Hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Lobo13 View Post
    I'd suggest C# but I'm bias.
    This..learn C# and WPF. Once you know C# its an easy transition to ASP.NET and web development.
    Join KIVA - Donate to those in need around the world! Free $25 for signing up!
    http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/fuzzewuzze

Join the League of Legends! Largest MOBA Game of all time!
    http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4abffc9d33310

Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cronoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yo programming brahs, my qualifications are in my sig if anyone needs any help with programming. I have just launched my new webcam website, allowing male and female to stream their webcam and make money (You've heard of the idea before obviously) - you can record videos and sell them, use it like twitter/******** (Your Wall + Followers + PMs), and tons more (Including industry highest payout rates). There is also a nice affiliate program where you guys can make 8% commission on users you refer and 3% commission on money made by broadcasters you refer.

We developed the website using Python (Django framework) for our main website, MySQL for database, ActionScript (Flex Framework) for our flash client, and Java (Red5) for our streaming media server. Our setup is super secure (Hackers come at us), we have 4 separate servers running the operation for now (Mysql Server, Apache Server, Red5 Server, Video Processing Server) with plans to load balance across multiple servers for our red5 streaming server as well as our processing server. Overall it took me and my friend about 6 months to develop all the tech for the site, but this was with both of us learning new languages. I learned ActionScript/Java and he learned Python.

Just wanted to drop by incase anyone has questions on how to run a site of this size, or how to run your website across multiple servers, load balance, etc. I would love to leave the link but it is against the rules I think, so if you'd like to check it out (Or signup to broadcast or start referring people) send me a PM!
    Web Brah, CEO in the making

*6am gym crew*

smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Python's super easy and very extensible. Javascript and jQuery are also fairly easy, but they're only useful for web programming. C and C++ are great if you want to learn about the nitty gritty of memory management, but they're definitely not as easy as Java.

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try VB .Net it would be a good change of pace. Work on a simple android app. Build websites in .Net for churches and non-profits in your area. Learning the Windows API would be valuable too, but is a bit advanced for a new programmer.

How many internships are you interviewing for? Get your resume out. We can't hire people who aren't trying. Getting paid to program is awesome.

LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Having a little issue in C

Here's some of my code

Code:
    void print_dir(char *dir_name){
      printf("dir_name is %s\n", dir_name); //prints path name of home directory?
    }

int main(){
    struct passwd *pwd = getpwuid(getuid());

//This assigns my home directory to curr_dir
    //note that I'm connected to my schools server and my home directory is /home/users1/my_username

char *curr_dir =  pwd->pw_dir; 

strcat(curr_dir, "/cs322/projects"); //I concatenate the folder im working in to my home directory

/*Here is my problem, curr_dir is currently /home/users1/my_username/cs322/projects, 
    but when I pass it into my function and print the directory name that I passed in there, 
    it resets it back to my home directory (/home/users1/my_username)
    */

print_dir(curr_dir);  

}

ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProteinEnough has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LAballin24 View Post

Here's some of my code

Code:
    }

int main(){

//note that I'm connected to my schools server and my home directory is /home/users1/my_username

strcat(curr_dir, "/cs322/projects"); //I concatenate the folder im working in to my home directory

/*Here is my problem, curr_dir is currently /home/users1/my_username/cs322/projects, 
    but when I pass it into my function and print the directory name that I passed in there, 
    */

print_dir(curr_dir);  

}
    I think your issue is that you're passing by reference and not by value. The variable curr_dir was set to the address of pwd->pw_dir. Try declaring curr_dir and then the next line strcpy the value of pwd->pw_dir into curr_dir.

WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000)

Here's some of my code

Code:
    }

int main(){

*/

print_dir(curr_dir);  

}
    I believe the problem is that curr_dir is a pointer to the same memory location as pwd->pw_dir, which I think getpwuid() only allocates enough space for to hold just "/home/users1/my_username". strcat() will not allocate more space for you to hold the "/cs322/projects" string you want to concatenate to the end of curr_dir.

Try something like this:

Code:
    char curr_dir[1024];  // 1024 bytes outta be big enough but a real program would dynamically allocate this.
    struct passwd* pwd = 0;

pwd = getpwuid(getuid());
    memset(curr_dir, 0, sizeof(curr_dir));  // always a good idea to zero out the buffer first
    strncpy(curr_dir, pwd->pw_dir, sizeof(curr_dir) - 1);  // copy pwd->pw_dir into curr_dir
    strncat(curr_dir, "/cs322/projects", sizeof(curr_dir) - 1);  // there should be enough space allocated to curr_dir to concat

print_dir(curr_dir);
    BTW, if all you want is the current working directory, there is a getcwd() function that all Unix-like OSes should have.

LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LAballin24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks brochachos, both of your solutions were correct/worked. Repped

MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrWebster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sup guys, programmer here just dropping to say hi.

jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jj00ee is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey guys, I'm having some weird Java trouble with a pretty n00b project.

What I'm trying to do is, prompt a user for a string input in the console, then use open up a JFrame and use drawString() to draw the user input.

Right now I have two classes, the paint component class as follows:

Code:
    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import javax.swing.*;
    import java.util.Scanner;

public class Peach extends JPanel {
        public void paintComponent(Graphics g) {
            super.paintComponent(g);
            this.setBackground(Color.WHITE);

g.drawString(PeachMain.goString(), 25, 25);
        }
    }
    And then my main class:

Code:
    import java.awt.*;
    import javax.swing.*;

public class PeachMain {
        public static void main(String[] args) {

JFrame f = new JFrame("Title");
            f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
            Peach p = new Peach();
            f.add(p);
            f.setSize(400,400);
            f.setVisible(true);
        }

public static String goString( ) {
            Scanner in = new Scanner(System.in);
            System.out.println("Enter a string:");
            String str = in.nextLine();
            return str;
        }
    }
    What happens is, the console asks the user to "Enter a string" at the exact same time as the JFrame window opening. I want the console to prompt and receive the user input before the JFrame opens.

Once I enter the string and hit enter, it DOES draw the string. However I am unable to close the JFrame and I am once again prompted to "Enter a string" in the console.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!

Just doing a bit of homework, one of the questions is

Speculate on the issue of allowing nested subprograms in programming
    languages—why are they not allowed in many contemporary languages?

I can't seem to find anything on this topic online, not even in my textbook. Can anyone help me out or provide some useful links? Rapes for the help

Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sounds Good is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Anyone offer some insight on Node.js language? Trying to learn my first programming language and someone recommended me to go Node as that is the future and easiest to learn.

Some beginner guides would help as well

Registered User FalconPunchBrah's Avatar
    FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) FalconPunchBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    has anyone done any coding in objective c? How hard is it to learn with no prior experience?

1.62m of fawking awesome circusmidget's Avatar
    circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000) circusmidget is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FalconPunchBrah View Post
    has anyone done any coding in objective c? How hard is it to learn with no prior experience?
    I've just started ****ing around with it. When you say "no prior experience" do you actually mean zero programming experience? If so, I can't comment. If you have experience with other common high-level OO languages (e.g. Java, C++, C#) you'll find it a little weird at first but there's a lot of similarities between it and the other common languages because it's a superset of C and all OO languages are still OO. The naming of methods is unusual but you get used to that quickly enough. Having said all this, I haven't spent much time on it yet and I'm far from an expert.
    Interstellar bears climb back to save the enemas.

coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coynemoney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Programmer checking in. I got my degree in CS and am working at a small vacuum chamber manufacturer. I'm actually writing Data Acquisition/Control Software which is very very low level compared to what I thought I would be doing. I actually got started here working on the company intranet which is written in JS, PHP, and HTML and moved toward the engineering side. If anyone has any questions regarding LabView I've been learning for the past year or so so I can help. It's looks strange but at the end of the day it's basically C.
    "Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor."
    -Alexis Carrel

xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
    Anyone offer some insight on Node.js language? Trying to learn my first programming language and someone recommended me to go Node as that is the future and easiest to learn.

Some beginner guides would help as well

Uh... Learn JavaScript first. Pretty sure Node.js are just JS libraries like jQuery.

This is probably a longshot but here it goes:

I'm taking a class about different programming languages and we're currently on Scheme.

Here's my problem:

Code:
    (define lst1 '())
    (cons a lst1)
    (print lst1)

//Results print '() instead of '(a)
    Can anyone help me out here?

Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In order to build a web application I'm going to make, I decided to start learning Ruby (on rails). I'm fine with picking up the syntax etc, even if it confuses me a bit. What I really can't get past is envisioning how Ruby on rails actually works. Is the coding kept in a file? Does bits of code get inserted into an html document? Is the whole MVC idea an actual thing or is it just a concept to make it easier to work with? Why do all "guides" use command prompt? How does this work with a web site? How do you transition your program from PC to web?

I don't expect to be spoon fed but searching (and I did a lot) doesn't bring anything remotely easy to understand for me.

Any quick tips/explanations are greatly appreciated.

WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000) WWE-TicK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bbvoncrumb View Post
    In order to build a web application I'm going to make, I decided to start learning Ruby (on rails). I'm fine with picking up the syntax etc, even if it confuses me a bit. What I really can't get past is envisioning how Ruby on rails actually works. Is the coding kept in a file? Does bits of code get inserted into an html document? Is the whole MVC idea an actual thing or is it just a concept to make it easier to work with? Why do all "guides" use command prompt? How does this work with a web site? How do you transition your program from PC to web?

I don't expect to be spoon fed but searching (and I did a lot) doesn't bring anything remotely easy to understand for me.

Any quick tips/explanations are greatly appreciated.
    I'll just comment on what MVC is. MVC, which stands for Model-View-Controller, is whats called a design pattern. A design pattern is simply a well understood way to solve a common problem. I believe the term came from the architectural world where instead of saying "this house needs a covered platform at the entrance" you could just say "this house needs a porch". In the context of software development, "MVC" would be the "porch". Anyway, MVC is an extended version of another design pattern called Observer pattern which allows one to separate the so-called "business logic" of the application from the so-called "presentation logic". The advantage of this is that you can change how a user interacts with your application at-will without changing the code that actual does whatever it is that application was meant to do.

An easy example would be a calculator application. You would encapsulate all the logic required to implement a calculator in one module. Then you implement the code the user uses to interface with this calculator module in another module. You can make several different versions of this "user interface" module: one that implements a desktop application, one that implements it as a web based application, and one that implements it as a mobile application. If you implement your calculator application using the MVC design pattern, you can implement those three different versions of the application without changing the core logic. You just need to reimplement the user interface logic. How the core module and the user interface modules communicate with each other, however, are in the details of the MVC design pattern.

xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000) xdestron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Typically:

Model = Database
    View = The page that the user sees
    Controller = The code that handles processing and basically the intermediary between Model and View

I can't speak to Ruby because I don't use it but it sounds like you have a very weak grasp on web technology in general. It sounds like you don't even understand how a web server works.

Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000) Boatski is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice to see this thread still going.

Just doing a bit of homework, one of the questions is

Speculate on the issue of allowing nested subprograms in programming
    languages—why are they not allowed in many contemporary languages?

I can't seem to find anything on this topic online, not even in my textbook. Can anyone help me out or provide some useful links? Rapes for the help
    Hint: Scope

Hey guys, I'm having some weird Java trouble with a pretty n00b project.

What I'm trying to do is, prompt a user for a string input in the console, then use open up a JFrame and use drawString() to draw the user input.

Right now I have two classes, the paint component class as follows:

Code:
    import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import javax.swing.*;

public class Peach extends JPanel {
        public void paintComponent(Graphics g) {
            super.paintComponent(g);
            this.setBackground(Color.WHITE);

g.drawString(PeachMain.goString(), 25, 25);
        }
    }
    And then my main class:

Code:
    import java.awt.*;
    import javax.swing.*;

public class PeachMain {
        public static void main(String[] args) {

JFrame f = new JFrame("Title");
            f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
            Peach p = new Peach();
            f.add(p);
            f.setSize(400,400);
            f.setVisible(true);
        }

public static String goString( ) {
            Scanner in = new Scanner(System.in);
            System.out.println("Enter a string:");
            String str = in.nextLine();
            return str;
        }
    }
    What happens is, the console asks the user to "Enter a string" at the exact same time as the JFrame window opening. I want the console to prompt and receive the user input before the JFrame opens.

Once I enter the string and hit enter, it DOES draw the string. However I am unable to close the JFrame and I am once again prompted to "Enter a string" in the console.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Is there a reason why you're drawing a string on a Swing component? Why not use a JLabel?

Anyway, try calling goString() in Peach's constructor instead of when you're in the middle of drawing to the JPanel.
    Last edited by Boatski; 11-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bbvoncrumb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by xdestron View Post
    Typically:

Model = Database
    View = The page that the user sees
    Controller = The code that handles processing and basically the intermediary between Model and View

I can't speak to Ruby because I don't use it but it sounds like you have a very weak grasp on web technology in general. It sounds like you don't even understand how a web server works.
    I am fine with things like that. For some reason though just seeing explanations about rails, I couldn't "see" what it actually was. I decided to start playing around with it and build a test prototype. Everything became clear to me doing this and it's a lot easier than I thought. Very logical.

Thanks for all the explanations brahs.

continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) continuume has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I decided to pursue computer science and right now I am taking an introductory OOP C++ course (at a community college) and plan to finish the whole sequence.

Any experienced brahs know what else I should do in the mean time to help me become competitive?

FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FuzzeWuzze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Practice.

Like any skill, if you just do it enough you will get better.

Read ahead in your book, assuming they have one that goes into more advanced topics like Pointers/Classes/Structures.
    Once you have a good grasp on those learn about OOP Design principles(Design Patterns) to write better software.

Of course all of this is going to take a year or more to fully grasp and become second nature.
    Join KIVA - Donate to those in need around the world! Free $25 for signing up!
    http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/fuzzewuzze

Join the League of Legends! Largest MOBA Game of all time!
    http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4abffc9d33310

Come at me! not (srs) EvolutionSic's Avatar
    EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000) EvolutionSic is just really nice. (+1000)
    ite brahs, so let me get this straight

Android is basically Java

So when i open eclipse, load the android sdk, create a new android project, everything in my java books should work pretty much the same? commands, structure?

amirite?
    www.space-champion.com

Star Citizen Brahs,

Originally Posted by EvolutionSic View Post
    ite brahs, so let me get this straight

Android is basically Java

So when i open eclipse, load the android sdk, create a new android project, everything in my java books should work pretty much the same? commands, structure?

amirite?
    http://developer.android.com/reference/packages.html