damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calories burned during weight lifting.....

quick question. Since calories in v. calories out is the most important factor in determining weight loss/weight gain, i decided to calculate my weekly caloric intake and divide it by my weekly maintenance total to keep track of progress. Now, my goal is to add some lean muscle while minimizing fat gain. I understand adding some fat is inevitable, but i would like to minimize it as much as possible. Some background about me, Im 5'11 151lb. I lost 100lb a few years ago and have been at 150-160 steadily for the past year or so. I work out with weights 4x/week and do a mix of HIIT cardio and steady moderate pace cardio 2x week 30min each session. As far as i have noticed, My maintenance is around 2400 cals/day. This *7 days which gives me 16800 cals/week. This past week my caloric intake totaled 20200 cals, thats 3400 cals over maintenance for the week and around 500 cals over maintenance/ day. These numbers however do not include calories burned during workouts. Do you guys think this is an effective way to approach a lean bulk and meet my goals of .5-1lb gain/week, or am i simply over analyzing and there is am easier way to keep track of progress thats just as accurate. Sorry for the ramble but any help would be appreciated.

Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by damirk View Post
    quick question. Since calories in v. calories out is the most important factor in determining weight loss/weight gain, i decided to calculate my weekly caloric intake and divide it by my weekly maintenance total to keep track of progress. Now, my goal is to add some lean muscle while minimizing fat gain. I understand adding some fat is inevitable, but i would like to minimize it as much as possible. Some background about me, Im 5'11 151lb. I lost 100lb a few years ago and have been at 150-160 steadily for the past year or so. I work out with weights 4x/week and do a mix of HIIT cardio and steady moderate pace cardio 2x week 30min each session. As far as i have noticed, My maintenance is around 2400 cals/day. This *7 days which gives me 16800 cals/week. This past week my caloric intake totaled 20200 cals, thats 3400 cals over maintenance for the week and around 500 cals over maintenance/ day. These numbers however do not include calories burned during workouts. Do you guys think this is an effective way to approach a lean bulk and meet my goals of .5-1lb gain/week, or am i simply over analyzing and there is am easier way to keep track of progress thats just as accurate. Sorry for the ramble but any help would be appreciated.
    Wasn't your weight training included with 2400 calorie intake before or any change ups from year ago till now?

With add-on of 3400 calories, of course you should gain the estimate weekly amount .5-1 lb.

When you were a fatty a year ago, I'm assuming you've already been strength/cardio training back than? Noob gains might not happen and pace of muscle per week is always smaller compared to beginning.

Rule of thumb for bulking is 15% above maintenance, I got this from Emma- Leigh the mod here.

Having 400-500 calorie for someone with high activity lifestyle, they can burn if off accidentally or vice versa for someone with low maintenance male (office job), female (don't gain quickly as males) like 1300, and adding 400-500 on top can lead to fat gains.

Lyle Mcdonald addressing/discussing cardio/mass lifting balance

damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) damirk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Vietgoboi View Post
    Wasn't your weight training included with 2400 calorie intake before or any change ups from year ago till now?

With add-on of 3400 calories, of course you should gain the estimate weekly amount .5-1 lb.

When you were a fatty a year ago, I'm assuming you've already been strength/cardio training back than? Noob gains might not happen and pace of muscle per week is always smaller compared to beginning.

Rule of thumb for bulking is 15% above maintenance, I got this from Emma- Leigh the mod here.

Having 400-500 calorie for someone with high activity lifestyle, they can burn if off accidentally or vice versa for someone with low maintenance male (office job), female (don't gain quickly as males) like 1300, and adding 400-500 on top can lead to fat gains.

Lyle Mcdonald addressing/discussing cardio/mass lifting balance
    actually, the reason why i was a fatty is because of poor nutrition and no exercise. Only after the weight lost did i start doing cardio and occasional weights. I lost a lot of muscle with that 100lb because i did no weight training what so ever while i was losing the weight, just cardio (HIIT for the most part).

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

The number of calories used during weight lifting is going to vary by the length of time of the work out, the intensity, your own body weight, train status (novice vs advanced) and even how used to the workout you are. Ive never seen an equation for calculating this that I had faith in
    joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

Originally Posted by JoeCannonMSCSCS View Post
    The number of calories used during weight lifting is going to vary by the length of time of the work out, the intensity, your own body weight, train status (novice vs advanced) and even how used to the workout you are. Ive never seen an equation for calculating this that I had faith in
    joe
    Yea same here, Its mostly just playing around with numbers. The human body is very adaptive in that it adjust itself with the smallest changes a person makes in their lifestyle. So basically all the numbers i listed are approximates as im trying to figure out how my body will react. The reason why i asked the question in the first place if to see if someone with a weight, height, workout routine similar to mine has tried something similar and what results they got.