phluffhead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice: lifting more but dont want to gain weight

Ive come a long way from 260lbs but Now I am around 205 and have been there for 3 years. ( running and lifting) I want to be under 200 lbs but dont want to lose any muscle. I have a really hard time losing weight when I am lifting weights a lot. I know muscle weighs more than fat and all that..but I definetely feel chunkier and not in a good way. I wonder if the protein powder is bloating me up? I am in a caloric deficit most days of the week but still cannot drop the last 5 lbs. Any advice? Should I lay off the protein powder for a few days and see if that helps or will I not be maximizing my workouts without refueling with protein? Protein powder is the only supplement I take FYI.
    What do ya think?

Registered User coconuttree2009's Avatar
    coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by phluffhead View Post
    Ive come a long way from 260lbs but Now I am around 205 and have been there for 3 years. ( running and lifting) I want to be under 200 lbs but dont want to lose any muscle. I have a really hard time losing weight when I am lifting weights a lot. I know muscle weighs more than fat and all that..but I definetely feel chunkier and not in a good way. I wonder if the protein powder is bloating me up? I am in a caloric deficit most days of the week but still cannot drop the last 5 lbs. Any advice? Should I lay off the protein powder for a few days and see if that helps or will I not be maximizing my workouts without refueling with protein? Protein powder is the only supplement I take FYI.
    What do ya think?
    The only way to loose fat is via kcal deficit created either by diet or activity. If you eat enough protein and lift heavy, do not overdo on cardio and do not create a crazy kcal deficit, you will be able to preserve hard earned muscle.
    Muscle does not weight more than fat - it's more dense in it's structure, but a pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat, like a pound of gold is equal to a pound of cotton...
    You need to track your kcal and not just be 'in a calorific deficit most days'.
    No need to drop protein powder, but if it bloats you, try to find a brand that doesn't, however, you can also get your protein in a food form.
    Good luck.

phluffhead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coconuttree2009 View Post
    The only way to loose fat is via kcal deficit created either by diet or activity. If you eat enough protein and lift heavy, do not overdo on cardio and do not create a crazy kcal deficit, you will be able to preserve hard earned muscle.
    Muscle does not weight more than fat - it's more dense in it's structure, but a pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat, like a pound of gold is equal to a pound of cotton...
    You need to track your kcal and not just be 'in a calorific deficit most days'.
    No need to drop protein powder, but if it bloats you, try to find a brand that doesn't, however, you can also get your protein in a food form.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the honest reply. I guess it just hard to tell if I am turning muscle to fat or not. My pants are a little more snug not too much, but my chest and arms are definetely getting bigger not chissled though. I never had a problem getting BIG I just need to tone it.