Ob7Zero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice on bulking/cutting cycles/programs!

First time poster, long time reader here, looking for advice on a training plan.

I'm 17, 6' 0" and ~160 lbs, semi-experienced lifter (1 rep bench 200, squat 285 to give you an idea), definite ectomorph.
    My goals are basically to gain mass and shed some excess fat and gain definition (I'm at roughly 10-15% body fat right now).

Essentially, my question is this: if I want to get bigger and more cut, should I...
    a) get cut, then get bigger
    b) get bigger, then get cut
    c) get bigger while getting cut

For cutting, I plan on using P90X. I already have all the DVDs and documentation, acquired for free.

For bulking, I plan to use Rippetoe's Starting Strength program.

So here are my more specific options as far as I can see. Would love some input as to what sounds best, or if you have any other ideas to add.

Option A: Cut then bulk.
    Follow the P90X program to a tee, including diet. Get cut, shed fat, but lose some mass and strength. After 90 days, begin a 90-day cycle of Rippetoe's Starting Strength, adding lots of calories and protein to gain fast. Then after Strength cycle, go back to P90X. (Thinking there may be problems with such a rapid change in diet and weight gain with this one). Also, is a 90-day cycle on Rippetoe's enough to see gains? Or is a longer cycle necessary?

Option B: Bulk then cut.
    Same as above, but in reverse order: gain mass and strength with Rippetoe's, then do a P90X cycle to get cut.

Option C (1): Bulk while cutting, emphasis cut.
    Follow the P90X program to a tee, including diet. Add Rippetoe's Starting Strength program simultaneously (an extra 3 days of lifting per week). Sacrifice a lot of mass gain by using lean P90X diet, but stay cut with constant cardio.

Option C (2): Bulk while cutting, emphasis bulk.
    Follow the P90X workout program, but with a high-calorie, high-protein bulking diet and Rippetoe's Starting Strength program (an extra 3 days of lifting). Gain more mass, but get less cut.

Not looking for specific workout or nutrition advice, I have the details worked out for both P90X and Rippetoe's and I'm set on those two programs as my favorite options for cutting and bulking respectively, just hoping to find more general cycling-type advice i.e. WHICH program to follow WHEN and in WHAT combination.

Thanks in advance guys.

silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yerh great question and im in pritty much the same position... i would love to know...

kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000) kyhunter89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    whats your goal weight and purpose in the end? Are you playing any sports while doing this?

ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ob7Zero View Post
    First time poster, long time reader here, looking for advice on a training plan.

I'm 17, 6' 0" and ~160 lbs, semi-experienced lifter (1 rep bench 200, squat 285 to give you an idea).......
    Amount of weight being lifted does not = experience. Many naturally strong people could walk into a gym, lift a heavy weight and claim to be an "experienced lifter"

Also the content of your post = inexperience or you would know at your height/weight you need to bulk first. Rippetoe hard for a year then the PX90.

K thanks for the advice so far, looks like most of you are leaning toward bulking first then cut.
    What about the possibility of running P90X while doing Starting Strength or similar?
    I think I would still be able to use post-workout shakes for my strength workouts while adhering to the P90X diet. Opinions?

BTW, I'm looking to get up to 175 from 160, and down to approx. 6-8% BFC from 10-12%. I'm not playing any sports now that I've graduated, but to give you an idea of my build I've been wrestling varsity for 4 years. So I have a lean wrestler's type build.

Originally Posted by ltbs View Post
    Amount of weight being lifted does not = experience. Many naturally strong people could walk into a gym, lift a heavy weight and claim to be an "experienced lifter"
    I do consider myself somewhat experienced in weight training, as I've been using it in an athletic capacity for years.
    I am, however, inexperienced in bodybuilding. That's why I'm looking for advice.

Bump

silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i always hear the word 'bump' being used but i have never known what it actually meant... can someone please explain??

ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    dont use p90x, not a good cutting program, good for cutting shear weight not the best for muscle preservation, concentrating on isolating fat loss.

I would Bulk then cut if you are in the 10-15% range. I dunno tho, for me its been kind of a bulk, recomp, bulk, recomp.
    "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." -Socrates

Everything I post is my opinion based on a relatively respectable education and a good amount of time in the weight room. If we disagree, so be it, let's have some intelligent debate.

I rep back.

Vtso4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ltbs View Post

Also the content of your post = inexperience or you would know at your height/weight you need to bulk first. Rippetoe hard for a year then the PX90.
    I'm wondering why you would suggest Rippetoe's Starting Strength if the OP wants to bulk? Starting Strength is mostly that, Strenth purposes. The MAIN product of SS is geared towards athletes for sports. OP needs to EAT Big Lift Big.