cadet4303 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Why wont my abs show!!!

I have been consistently working out for almost three years. I have seen some growth in my chest, back and arms, but my abs have hardly changed at all! (My stomach muscles are strong, and I work them about three to four times a week with weights, P90X Ab Ripper and various ab/oblique exercises.)
    I eat pretty healthy; no fried foods. no soda. no high fatty foods. BUT I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY MY AB MUSCLES AREN'T VISIBLE! I have a very small layer of fat around lower stomach, but if it weren't there, I still think I wouldn't see my abs. I also do a good amount of cardio exercises throughout the week. It looks like they are refusing to grow.
    Please help me out.

Thanks

Weight: 155
    Height: 5'10''
    BF%: 10-13

davidli2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidli2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidli2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidli2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidli2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) davidli2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cadet4303 View Post
    I have been consistently working out for almost three years. I have seen some growth in my chest, back and arms, but my abs have hardly changed at all! (My stomach muscles are strong, and I work them about three to four times a week with weights, P90X Ab Ripper and various ab/oblique exercises.)
    I eat pretty healthy; no fried foods. no soda. no high fatty foods. BUT I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY MY AB MUSCLES AREN'T VISIBLE! I have a very small layer of fat around lower stomach, but if it weren't there, I still think I wouldn't see my abs. I also do a good amount of cardio exercises throughout the week. It looks like they are refusing to grow.
    Please help me out.

Thanks

Weight: 155
    Height: 5'10''
    BF%: 10-13
    The layer of fat is what is doing it. You could have a set of abs more muscular than Jay Cutler's, but nobody will ever see it because of the fat layer. Get your bf % measured with calipers with someone that know how to do it. If you have a gut, no way you are 10%bf.

You might be overtraining your abs. Abdominals are like any other muscle in that they need proper recovery to perform and grow. I hit abs 3 times a week, but only moderately hard each time, and only because I have a very strong core that I developed through years of training. Most people would do better to hit your abs harder (use drop sets and circuits) but less frequently (2-3 days rest).

vuedoolor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your body fat is in the single digit and you don't see abs I will be very very shock. Try for 8% or lower.

cadet4303 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by davidli2012 View Post
    The layer of fat is what is doing it. You could have a set of abs more muscular than Jay Cutler's, but nobody will ever see it because of the fat layer. Get your bf % measured with calipers with someone that know how to do it. If you have a gut, no way you are 10%bf.

You might be overtraining your abs. Abdominals are like any other muscle in that they need proper recovery to perform and grow. I hit abs 3 times a week, but only moderately hard each time, and only because I have a very strong core that I developed through years of training. Most people would do better to hit your abs harder (use drop sets and circuits) but less frequently (2-3 days rest).
    I has taken be a year to reach 155lbs. I was 135.
    How can I lower my bf% without falling under weight again?
    I do cardio, but I don't over-do it because I don't want to lose the weight I worked so hard to gain.

Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Zevier has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You can maintain your strength and muscle mass by taking glutamine pre-workout and by eating a gram of protein for every lbs you weigh.

bronx623 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cadet4303 View Post
    I has taken be a year to reach 155lbs. I was 135.
    How can I lower my bf% without falling under weight again?
    I do cardio, but I don't over-do it because I don't want to lose the weight I worked so hard to gain.
    Its a hard thing to do... Same height, I weigh in at 170, i just got my bf% done with calipers at the gym, its at 8%. Ive been cutting a while. You can barely see my abs (if at all). Its genetics man, some people just have more fat in their midsection.

You just have to take your diet and supplementation to the next level. Start looking at fat burners, carb cycling, insulin control, etc. I don't know what point your at, but be open to new ideas.

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Zevier View Post
    You can maintain your strength and muscle mass by taking glutamine pre-workout and by eating a gram of protein for every lbs you weigh.
    wrong

nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.v is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Zevier View Post
    it's not quite as simple as that.

OP, i'm know of a few people who are in the same boat as you. one of my buddies got so fed up of chasing his abs he said f*ck it and just started bulking instead. now he's so big he doesn't care that he can't see his abs when he cuts. just some food for thought.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are skinny fat and undereating. There is no excuse for being 155 lbs after years of training. Spend a year putting on some size then diet down to see your abs.

The reason you cannot see your well developed six pack is becuase of your bodyfat levels. At this point you should focus on gaining some lean mass though instead of dieting down for cuts or you risk looking like one of those out of shape toothpicks in the new ****light movie with the werewolves in it. After several years of training you should be large enough and strong enough to one arm press the largest one of them in that movie by his neck, up over your head, and pinch his head off... not be 155 lbs.

Check out the stickies for a solid novice workout routine, like All Pro's, and put some size on before trying to cut. As Arnold said, you cannot chisel a pebble.

mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mariusjacobsen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Post a pic and I'm sure we can tell you why you can't see your abs. My guess is that your bf % is too high.

It takes a lot of work to get ripped. Some people are lucky though: I have a friend who eats crappy food, and does very little weight training and he has nice abs. I, on the other hand, have to keep my diet 100% in check in order for my abs to show. It takes a lot of work.

Having said that, I really think you should focus on gaining a bit of weight so you have some decent muscle mass before you start cutting.