wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wn1998 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight train legs while training for 10k?

I am currently 5'10" 205lbs looking to get to 195 thus why I took up running. I have some decent strength right now and don't want to lose too much muscle but I have grown quite fond of running.

I currently train legs 2 x a week (Tuesday Heavy "low reps", and Friday Light weight high reps). I am also running 4-miles on Monday, walking 9 holes of Golf on Wednesday, running 6-miles on thursday and running 3-miles on Saturday. Do my legs have enough time to recover?

I have been thinking about taking it easy on legs since I am doing a lot of running and my legs often feel fatiged but I thought I would see what you guys think.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Take it all one day at a time!

MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MileHighBlues has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wn1998 View Post
    I am currently 5'10" 205lbs looking to get to 195 thus why I took up running. I have some decent strength right now and don't want to lose too much muscle but I have grown quite fond of running.

I currently train legs 2 x a week (Tuesday Heavy "low reps", and Friday Light weight high reps). I am also running 4-miles on Monday, walking 9 holes of Golf on Wednesday, running 6-miles on thursday and running 3-miles on Saturday. Do my legs have enough time to recover?

I have been thinking about taking it easy on legs since I am doing a lot of running and my legs often feel fatiged but I thought I would see what you guys think.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Thats an entierly personal question... some people are horribly sore for 3-4 days after training their legs, and others feel great the next morning. The best advise I could give you is to listen to your body... try taking it easy for a couple weeks if your performance goes up then you were pushing it too hard. If it stays the same then push it a little harder next time. The only way to know exactly how your body responds and which work out schedule/routine is best for you is by trial and error. If it works keep it up, if it doesnt try something else.

If you like I can chat with my cousin, and see what his leg workouts consist of. He's 250lbs maybe 15% body fat if he's lucky he's probably closer to 18% but he can run a full marathon in under 5 hrs. He does a 10k in 45 min, if anyone knows how to mantain size/strenght but still manage to be retardedly fast for a big man... its him =)

Take Care, and good luck!!!

Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stathakis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if that's easy running you're talking about, then by all means go for it. easy running really targets your heart as a muscle more than your legs. once you start doing hard anaerobic stuff where you build lactic acid in your legs or really high aerobic pace for a long time, that's when you start heading to the areas that are more difficult to recover from and really work your legs. I suppose it depends on what your priorities are. if your priority is to run fast, I'd drop all leg days completely and run easy every day. but I'm willing to be that you'd rather keep it as a hobby and maintain as much muscle as you can, in which case you're fine. I'd keep the lifting heavy (since that's your priority), and if your legs feel like poop on a day when you run, just slow down to a pace that's maintainable and do it. your heart will still get stronger since you're out there for a certain amount of time--you'll just feel less stress on your legs (and your heart won't gain AS much as if you prioritized running first and lifting second).

there is no need to stop running, just take it easy since lifting is your goal. your running should never get in the way of your lifting. if you have to crawl at 12+ minute mile pace some days, so be it. you can't be 100% fresh 100% of the time.
    former track runner crew
    physics crew
    proud manlet crew