SephirothXR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strength vs Muscle Building vs Endurance?

I've been lifting for about 6 months, I've had some success with getting bigger and building strength, but I want to see if there's something I'm doing drastically wrong:

Muscle Building -- eat 3,000 calories in day, eat 150g protein (I'm 5'10, 160 lbs), do workouts of 3x12, but do multiple workouts for major muscles (quads, pecs), but you only gain muscle when you do reps while your muscles experience hypertrophy (sometimes I have to cheat towards the end to get more hypertrophy, is this alright?)

Strength -- I've heard of doing 3x5 with 80% max, and then 3x8, but if you do 3x8 then you have to do multiple exercises. Your diet doesn't really matter because strength is all neural, but get SOME GOOD SLEEP. I still got stronger, but I want a better idea of this aspect.

And the most important thing is to vary your workouts to confuse your body, and the weight slowly (2-3 seconds up, 2-3 seconds down).

For endurance, is it alright to say do a strength workout, and then follow it with endurance? B/c if Strength is pure neural, I can theoretically not eat that much or do any workout I want after it right [is there any diet that makes you get stronger]? So say if I follow a 3x5 workout with a 1x35 rep. Also, what do I have to eat if I'm doing endurance/toning muscles?

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SephirothXR View Post
    I've been lifting for about 6 months, I've had some success with getting bigger and building strength, but I want to see if there's something I'm doing drastically wrong:

Muscle Building -- eat 3,000 calories in day, eat 150g protein (I'm 5'10, 160 lbs), do workouts of 3x12, but do multiple workouts for major muscles (quads, pecs), but you only gain muscle when you do reps while your muscles experience hypertrophy (sometimes I have to cheat towards the end to get more hypertrophy, is this alright?)

Strength -- I've heard of doing 3x5 with 80% max, and then 3x8, but if you do 3x8 then you have to do multiple exercises. Your diet doesn't really matter because strength is all neural, but get SOME GOOD SLEEP. I still got stronger, but I want a better idea of this aspect.

And the most important thing is to vary your workouts to confuse your body, and the weight slowly (2-3 seconds up, 2-3 seconds down).

For endurance, is it alright to say do a strength workout, and then follow it with endurance? B/c if Strength is pure neural, I can theoretically not eat that much or do any workout I want after it right [is there any diet that makes you get stronger]? So say if I follow a 3x5 workout with a 1x35 rep. Also, what do I have to eat if I'm doing endurance/toning muscles?
    Lots of misconceptions here. Strength has a lot do with diet/genetics/etc. The bigger you are, the more you will increase your capability of strength gain. If a 200 lb lifter maxes out on a 600 lb squat, if he gained 25 lbs of muscle, his squat would most likely increase as well.

Also, for bodybuilding and strength gain, there are hundreds of training styles that have worked over the years. Its not so black and white.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

SephirothXR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't control genetics obviously, and it definitely makes sense that more muscles gives your body more capacity to get stronger, but I always thought strength was just using the same amount of muscle better. Do I still have to eat a lot when I do strength workouts?

Also, if I do cardio workouts followed by pure endurance, would that endurance workout only give me fat burn (and some neural benefits), or also some muscle toning? If I do want to tone muscles, what do I have to eat that day?

Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SephirothXR View Post
    I can't control genetics obviously, and it definitely makes sense that more muscles gives your body more capacity to get stronger, but I always thought strength was just using the same amount of muscle better. Do I still have to eat a lot when I do strength workouts?

Also, if I do cardio workouts followed by pure endurance, would that endurance workout only give me fat burn (and some neural benefits), or also some muscle toning? If I do want to tone muscles, what do I have to eat that day?
    There are a bunch of questions here, but I just want to address one:

Get the "toning" thing out of your head. You can't "tone" muscles. (Well, actually, you can - but it doesn't mean what you think it means.) You can make the muscle larger and it will be "toned" if you lose the fat covering the muscle.

Also, pick a goal and go with it. You want to gain mass, eat more than maintenance, get a lot of protein, lift heavy for a decent number of reps. (Just pick a hypertrophy program - there are tons of them out there). You will naturally gain strength as well. You want to gain strength, do a strength training program. You want to lose fat, eat below maintence, eat adequate protein, lower volume, lift heavy. You shouldn't be trying to do all three things at once. That's a good recipe for failure.
    2/14: 218
    7/7: 183

"The poison is in the dose." ~ Brad Pilon

"What matters is actually doing something. You usually won't find out if something is right for you ahead of time unless you just hunker down and try it. So stop worrying and start hunkering." ~ Lyle McDonald

" 'Why' is one of the most powerful words you can put in your vocabulary." ~ Alan Aragon

"I'm lucky because I can eat whatever I want and I just get really, really fat." ~ Louis C.K.