celtsoxpats has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Playing Basketball and Working Out?

Someone told me that playing basketball 5-6 times a week while also doing Rippitoe's Starting Strength will hinder my ability to gain weight, muscle, or whatever. Is this true? I am 6 ft 151 lbs. I am planning on trying out for my college basketball team in a few months and need to gain weight while also continuing to play ball.

caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) caligrown92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Depends. If your just shooting hoops, playing 21 or having short pickup games (like under 20mins) then no it doesn't really matter. But even that little cardio 6 days a week will keep you from gaining faster then you would probably like.

DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    aslong as you eat more to make up for all the exercise you will be doing

nitrowendigo6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well it could if your trying to make serious gains, because doing intense cardio like that is going to burn precious calories. and your measurements seem like your pretty lean, so bulk could probably help. but it seems like you would be playing at guard with your height, so you dont want to be too bulky. otherwise you wont be that quick. just emphasize legs, arms, and shoulders when working out.

DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DiamondSlits has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nitrowendigo6 View Post
    well it could if your trying to make serious gains, because doing intense cardio like that is going to burn precious calories. and your measurements seem like your pretty lean, so bulk could probably help. but it seems like you would be playing at guard with your height, so you dont want to be too bulky. otherwise you wont be that quick. just emphasize legs, arms, and shoulders when working out.
    "emphasize" everything evenly

Originally Posted by caligrown92 View Post
    Depends. If your just shooting hoops, playing 21 or having short pickup games (like under 20mins) then no it doesn't really matter. But even that little cardio 6 days a week will keep you from gaining faster then you would probably like.
    Sometimes its shooting around, sometimes 2 on 2, sometimes a few 5 on 5 games. I always thought running would help...does it slow gaining down because of the calorie burn?

Originally Posted by nitrowendigo6 View Post
    I'm finishing my 2nd week of Rippitoe's Starting Strength...shoud I continue doing it?
    My goal is to get up to 165lb by October or November.

dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dowg16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by celtsoxpats View Post
    Someone told me that playing basketball 5-6 times a week while also doing Rippitoe's Starting Strength will hinder my ability to gain weight, muscle, or whatever. Is this true? I am 6 ft 151 lbs. I am planning on trying out for my college basketball team in a few months and need to gain weight while also continuing to play ball.
    Jesus christ of course you can workout and gain mass while playing basketball, same with any other sport except wrestling ( gotta make weight ). Just eat more than you would if you weren't playing basketball, add an extra 500 calories here and there.
    Current/By July(Beginning of summer) - Bench to chest, squat parallel, deadlift no belt or straps.

Bench: 215/250

Squat: ???/315

Deadlift: 390/450

Come visit my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130504833

mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mavs1041 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i played varsity basketball through out high school and it was nearly impossible for me to workout. i ended up having to quit lifting during the season because it is impossible to be at school and then go to practice and then lift or lift before school or something for the entire season. i was becoming mediocre at both. i wasnt lifting as hard because i was tired and didnt have the right nutrition and my basketball game was struggling because i was sore and working out muscles that affect your shot. i'd reccomend just training in the off season.

RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000) RWC5113 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just play the damn game!
    Are you gonna stop enjoying sports and living your life because "zoMG I'm gonna burn some calories and I need that extra half centimeter on my arms."
    Play basketball and just eat a nice big meal afterwards.
    ALPHA MANLET CREW ~AMC~

*Deadlift Junkies*

-Dallas Cowboys-

-Penn State '13-

Reps for life: Suit. 1k+

Originally Posted by mavs1041 View Post
    i played varsity basketball through out high school and it was nearly impossible for me to workout. i ended up having to quit lifting during the season because it is impossible to be at school and then go to practice and then lift or lift before school or something for the entire season. i was becoming mediocre at both. i wasnt lifting as hard because i was tired and didnt have the right nutrition and my basketball game was struggling because i was sore and working out muscles that affect your shot. i'd reccomend just training in the off season.
    Well it is the offseason. But I need to keep playing and get better but at the same time i need to put on 15-20 lbs

We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just eat a lot thats what I do, lost some fat too.
    **Misc Cologne Crew**

Ravens, Lakers, Angels

Ball So Hard University

Originally Posted by We_Big View Post
    Just eat a lot thats what I do, lost some fat too.
    how many calories a day would you recommend? I'm 6ft 151lb

ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I do this all the time, what I would do is stick to no more than 5 days a week B Ball. But keep it to no more than 2 days of actual playing and running, and then a few days of shooting around and stuff that isn't strenuous on ur legs. And don't play for more than 90 minutes, try to keep it under an hour cus ur gonna burn up too many calories. Your best bet would be to just stick to shooting for like 6 weeks and then you can add in a couple days of play
    "I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing." -Socrates

Everything I post is my opinion based on a relatively respectable education and a good amount of time in the weight room. If we disagree, so be it, let's have some intelligent debate.

I rep back.

ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironrat42 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    start at around 2500 calories with around 150-200 grams of protein a day, and see where that takes you, add 300 calories a day if necessary till you get a nice gain going.

Everything I post is my opinion based on a relatively respectable education and a good amount of time in the weight room. If we disagree, so be it, let's have some intelligent debate.

I rep back.

We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I dont really keep track of my calories, but this would be a typical day for me:

Wake up, have a protein shake
    5 eggs for breakfast with apple juice and creatine monohydrate

Peanuts for a snack

A couple PP&J's for Lunch, whole wheat bread

Workout - after have a protein shake

Go to the local rec center and shoot around and play games

Dinner - always varies

after that snack on fruit, peanuts, eggs etc until I go to bed, with glasses of milk for casein
    **Misc Cologne Crew**

Ravens, Lakers, Angels

Ball So Hard University

Originally Posted by ironrat42 View Post
    I do this all the time, what I would do is stick to no more than 5 days a week B Ball. But keep it to no more than 2 days of actual playing and running, and then a few days of shooting around and stuff that isn't strenuous on ur legs. And don't play for more than 90 minutes, try to keep it under an hour cus ur gonna burn up too many calories. Your best bet would be to just stick to shooting for like 6 weeks and then you can add in a couple days of play
    Thanks, I will try to do that. If I were to play real games (running and what not) like 3 or 4 times a week, how many more calories should I take in on those extra days?

Thanks, I will try to do that. If I were to play real games (running and what not) like 3 or 4 times a week, how many more calories should I take in on those extra days?
    prolly around 300 calories would be safe, which is real easy if you just have a gatorade while you play or something and then a protein bar or something right after.

I rep back.

Aesthetic Powerlifter Staliyo_Lycan's Avatar
    Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Staliyo_Lycan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nope, did basketball for school training 2x a week and game 1x a week and still gained muscle
    U90KG/198LB Powerlifter
    IFBB Mens Physique competitor

Best lifts:
    Bench : 200kg/441lb ( paused )
    Squat : 300kg/661lb ( wrapped )
    Deadlift : 265kg/585lb x 4

Instagram: @_kevinyuan

Originally Posted by ironrat42 View Post
    prolly around 300 calories would be safe, which is real easy if you just have a gatorade while you play or something and then a protein bar or something right after.
    Thanks for all the help. Rep'd multiple times