FoonkySteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FoonkySteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FoonkySteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Home gym Workout advice. Lats and Hamstrings

Hi Guys,

I'm new, 1st post. (please be gentle). Sorry its a long one, but i want to give you all the info

I'm looking for good isolated exercises for my Lats and hamstrings with little equipment.

Here is my current situation:

I'm almost 4 weeks into training again, since a Looooong layoff (like 4 years!) This has been 4 years of zero training/exercise and eating like a pig. This led me to putting on over 45lbs of pure unadulterated body FAT!

Great! So i have took the plunge, around 6 years ago, i was a keen average drug free bodybuilder, then around 5 years ago i did the 'Body for Life' program, which gave me excellent results! I then tweaked the program to give me bigger gains, and was in pretty much the best shape of my life, lean and strong!

Now i am nearly 4 weeks into the body for life program again, as i feel it is the best starting point to cut the fat, and get a bit of muscle efficiently. (Does Muscle Memory work after 4 years?). I have already dropped 14lbs and am feeling good again.

The only way i have managed to stay on the program or do any training, is because i have rented a garage right next to my home, which suits me perfectly, as i work 2 jobs, and don't drive. Sooo.... my equipment is lacking.

My Garage is only big enough to squeeze in one car. Anyway, i have a pretty ****ty cheap catalogue Bench, which has, cradles for barbells, leg extensions, and can only go Flat or incline up to about 70 degrees. I have 2 barbells with plates, and 4 sets of dumbbells, and around 100kg in plates. I have a recumbent stationery bike, and cross trainer for cardio. I also have chest expander's and an ab roller and mat.

My problem is finding decent exercises to do my Lats and Hamstrings, with the equipment i have, i am currently doing bent over barbell and dumbbell rows for my Back, but i need something else to mix it up, i also use the chest expander's behind my back, but again i feel like this isn't enough. For my Hamstrings , i have been doing straight leg dead-lifts, followed by a hamstring extension lying on my front with a dumbbell between my feet. I feel the straight leg dead-lifts in my lower back more than anything else. What can i do to isolate these muscles a bit more efficiently. I should note, that i DONT want to do individual leg exercises as i am stuck for time, and need to work out quickly and intensely.

Sorry again for the long post, need help from the pro's!

Steve
    Dundee - Scotland - UK

CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    See if you can pick up an Iron Gym pullup bar. They simply latch on to your door frame, and you can literally remove them in two seconds. If you get the advanced version (I got mine off ebay for $30 I believe), it has grips for wide grip pullups, normal, chinups, and a neutral hammer-type grip.
    "Complexity for complexity's sake is dumb. Slow progress when fast is available is very poor decision making. Training indirectly with elaborate assistance exercises to raise your back squat is foolish if you can walk in the gym and add weight to your back squat."
    -Madcow

FoonkySteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FoonkySteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FoonkySteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CharlieYo View Post
    See if you can pick up an Iron Gym pullup bar. They simply latch on to your door frame, and you can literally remove them in two seconds. If you get the advanced version (I got mine off ebay for $30 I believe), it has grips for wide grip pullups, normal, chinups, and a neutral hammer-type grip.
    Thanks CharlieYo. Greatly appreciated advice. That sounds definately like the way forward, only problem is, i am training in my garage, which doesn't have a door. Well it does have a door, but not a regular door, its a big steel garage door. I can maybe see about getting something built, although i am only renting the space, its supposed to be for vehicle use only, but ive secretly kitted it out as my gym. (shhhh

Would pull ups be more effective for my back than say Lat Pull downs?

Then i could have a toss up between, a powertower station for dips, leg raises, pull ups etc,
    or........ some kind of multi-gym, with a lat pull down bar, possibly, fly curls, and could also use the Lat pullDown bar for tricep pull downs?

Then there is trying to build something which i might not be allowed to do.

Decisions decisions.

I have also contemplated getting some sort of resistance bands i could use, although im not sure how effective they could be?

Thanks again for any advice.

Steve

TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you build something to stick your feet under you can do glute ham raises (GHR). These are very effective hamstring exercises.

Kneel on the ground and slip your legs under a bar. Keep your ankle at a 90 degree angle, not pointed. Lower your torso towards the ground and back up. In the beginning you will probably have to catch yourself with your hands and give a little push to get yourself back up. A good goal is to be able to do them unassisted.
    wut?

weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TPower81 View Post
    if you build something to stick your feet under you can do glute ham raises (GHR). These are very effective hamstring exercises.

Kneel on the ground and slip your legs under a bar. Keep your ankle at a 90 degree angle, not pointed. Lower your torso towards the ground and back up. In the beginning you will probably have to catch yourself with your hands and give a little push to get yourself back up. A good goal is to be able to do them unassisted.
    bump
    Be cool until it's time not to be cool

Knowledge is Power

Opinions are like a-holes: Everyone has one, but mine is the right one.

ISSA Certified and Certifiably Crazy

weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) weaponxxxvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    straight-up good ol' fashion deadlifts are great for your back. as well as dumbbell pullovers, emphasising the stretch portion of the rep.

if you are feeling stiff legged deads too much in your lower back, you might be coming up too high with the bar. try stopping the bar at or just above your knees. that stresses the hammies more.
    Be cool until it's time not to be cool

Knowledge is Power

Opinions are like a-holes: Everyone has one, but mine is the right one.

ISSA Certified and Certifiably Crazy

Great Advice Guys, Thanks a lot.

Looks like ive got a bit of experimenting to do!

Thanks again, im glad i came here!

Steve

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    I would think if you are serious you would look at upgrading the equipment. A power rack added to what you have gives you a place do pull-ups and a way to do squats soving both your problems right there as well as allowing for safer benching and a lot more.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17