tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question Can I healthfully lose 3lbs a week for 6 weeks?

I recently lost my job. So I figured this is a good time as any to get my fat arse in shape. I need to lose about 33lbs.

I'm female 5'3" 147lbs and 31% bodyfat.

I got a trainer for 6 weeks. I was asking him about losing fat vs muscle and he said it's actually very hard to lose muscle. So when I said "Really, awesome let's shoot for 3lbs a week then" He gave me the old 2lbs a week is the healthy way to lose. I was like "but you just said it's hard to lose muscle"

Needless to say, I'm a bit confused. My goal is to workout 2x a day HARD , 6-7 days a week, eat 1200 calories/day, and walk the dogs 2miles a day. of the 2x a day, only 3-4 workouts of the total 12-14 workouts will be weight lifting exercise, the other 8-11 workouts will be pure cardio. Each lasting about 1 hour long.

Before you answer, I am aware that I may burn out and may not be able to keep it up. I also know that I could injure myself. So with all of this said I plan on being careful and listening to my body and resting when I need to.

HOWEVER, let's just say for our purposes I'm able to keep up the rigerous schedule, eat and workout according to my plan without injuring myself or burning out over 6 weeks and I'm able to lose 3lbs a week.

Can I lose the 3lbs with minimum to no muscle loss. I dont want to lose the weight if It's going to be mostly muscle. That's just pointless. That's why I'm asking this question. I want to try to lose fat as much as possible and maximize weight loss.

PS my trainer wants me on a C/P/F ratio of 60/20/20

I always thought for fat loss you wanted something more like 50/40/10 to 40/40/20.

TIA

KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At your height and weight 3lbs per week is unreasonable.

Also your trainer is wrong. It's very easy to lose muscle if you don't train properly and eat properly. If you don't manage your weight loss properly, you'll lose (roughly) equal amounts of fat and muscle. If you eat healthily and exercise properly, you can skew that proportion to more fat, and less muscle.

1200 cals is too low. 14 workouts per week is insane. 7 days of working out is going to wear you out. It's recovery that leads to muscle growth and weight loss. If you don't give your body time to recover, then you're going to regret it. Overexercising (overtraining) while under eating can not only stall your weight loss, it can make you go backwards as you simply build damage upon damage.

At a healthy rate, you should aim for about 1% of your bodyweight per week. More than that, you're going to be losing muscle in large amount.

Finally, ratios are meaningless really if you're eating the wrong calorie level. Aim for 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Then get about .3g of healthy fat per pound of bodyweight. Then make up the rest of your calories in carbs - whole grains, fruits and veg, etc. However that falls into the percentages is what it is.

tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tmoneyag99 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by KaraCooks View Post
    At your height and weight 3lbs per week is unreasonable.

Also your trainer is wrong. It's very easy to lose muscle if you don't train properly and eat properly. If you don't manage your weight loss properly, you'll lose (roughly) equal amounts of fat and muscle. If you eat healthily and exercise properly, you can skew that proportion to more fat, and less muscle.

At a healthy rate, you should aim for about 1% of your bodyweight per week. More than that, you're going to be losing muscle in large amount.
    That is what I was afraid of. I think I've been becoming weaker since I started seeing him. He refuses to put enough weight on the machines and makes me do higher reps.

Can you point me to some threads that will help me lose fat and not muscle?

KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tmoneyag99 View Post
    That is what I was afraid of. I think I've been becoming weaker since I started seeing him. He refuses to put enough weight on the machines and makes me do higher reps.

Can you point me to some threads that will help me lose fat and not muscle?
    Fire your trainer and read the sticky threads here.

Seriously ... any trainer who doe the whole low weight/high rep thing is a moron.

Fire him now and find someone who knows what he's talking about.

Eat. Sleep. Train. ExclusiveStarr's Avatar
    ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Seriously ... any trainer who doe the whole low weight/high rep thing is a moron.

What she said.

You're current stats are very similiar to my starting stats (5'3", 146 lbs, 29% bf) when I first started lifting. . . in 6 weeks you won't be able to perform miracles, but you will be able to make large strides in your fitness level and changing your body's composition. For me, the actual number number on the scale has been moving slowly, but the way my clothing fits and my overall measurements have changed drastically. At our height 10 lbs can be an entire pant size or two, so sticking to the 2lb a week rule (providing your diet is on point the whole time) would be 12 lbs that can make a world of difference.

And why are your calories so low? You need a sufficient amount of calories to fuel your body for your workouts and to help your body maintain what muscle you do have. Doing tons and tons of cardio will burn you out and ravage your muscle.

Losing weight is simple:
    Lift heavy+eat the proper amount of calories+stick to your diet= weight loss.

I suggest you go and read the stickies.
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. That surrender, even the smallest act of giving up, stays with me. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, which would I rather live with?" - Lance Armstrong

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tmoneyag99 View Post
    I recently lost my job. So I figured this is a good time as any to get my fat arse in shape. I need to lose about 33lbs.

I'm female 5'3" 147lbs and 31% bodyfat.

I got a trainer for 6 weeks. I was asking him about losing fat vs muscle and he said it's actually very hard to lose muscle. So when I said "Really, awesome let's shoot for 3lbs a week then" He gave me the old 2lbs a week is the healthy way to lose. I was like "but you just said it's hard to lose muscle"

Needless to say, I'm a bit confused. My goal is to workout 2x a day HARD , 6-7 days a week, eat 1200 calories/day, and walk the dogs 2miles a day. of the 2x a day, only 3-4 workouts of the total 12-14 workouts will be weight lifting exercise, the other 8-11 workouts will be pure cardio. Each lasting about 1 hour long.

Before you answer, I am aware that I may burn out and may not be able to keep it up. I also know that I could injure myself. So with all of this said I plan on being careful and listening to my body and resting when I need to.

HOWEVER, let's just say for our purposes I'm able to keep up the rigerous schedule, eat and workout according to my plan without injuring myself or burning out over 6 weeks and I'm able to lose 3lbs a week.

Can I lose the 3lbs with minimum to no muscle loss. I dont want to lose the weight if It's going to be mostly muscle. That's just pointless. That's why I'm asking this question. I want to try to lose fat as much as possible and maximize weight loss.

PS my trainer wants me on a C/P/F ratio of 60/20/20

I always thought for fat loss you wanted something more like 50/40/10 to 40/40/20.

TIA

3lbs a week is not going to happen. Losing over 2lbs a week and you're tapping into muscle. Most women are lucky if they can lose a steady 1-1.5 lbs a week...and to do this your calories better be spot on. 1200 calories is too low and won't work for you. As you continue losing you'll need to lower calories and you're going to end up with no where to go.

You need to focus on heavy weight training while eating in a deficit, it's how we preserve our muscle. You need to seriously cut back on some of the cardio. All that cardio while eating in a deficit and you'll end up losing more muscle then anything else. Also training 6-7 days a week...when do you plan to recover? Rest and recovery is crucial for growth and this happens outside the gym. You need to learn to train smart and training smart is about the quality of a workout...not the quantity.

I hope you didn't pay your trainer, because this is the perfect program for losing muscle...
    Last edited by kimm4; 07-09-2010 at 02:54 AM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good advice above

Also "healthfully" is not a word. I think you mean "healthily"
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reggie1642 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is lots of great advice posted here already, so I will spare you the rehash. I agree, fire your trainer. I dont like the diet he put you on, you can lose muscle quickly, and didnt low weights/high reps leave the gym with high top reeboks?

Since you a looking to really push yourself and are looking for ongoing high intensity to lose fat and build muscle AND you can afford a trainer, I suggest that you fire his a** and find a local Crossfit. You have to check it out and see if it is for you, but it sounds like it is. I am an addict. Changed my life. Plus you will get the motivation, competition, and support you need to keep your program up. Some will help you with your diet, but be critical. These people have no training in that really.

PM me if you have Crossfit questions. Check out the main site, www.crossfit.com. There is a workout posted every day, but most crossfit gyms (called boxes) usually make up their own to suit the members.

No matter what, good luck! GET IT DONE!
    Always demand more from yourself than anyone can ever expect of you.

www.KillerCircuits.com

adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adifferentme3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I agree. All they do is take your money. I learned everything from here.
    To conquer oneself is the best and noblest victory; to be vanquished by one's own nature is the worst and most ignoble defeat-Plato

For those who "neg" my reputation JUST because I am a woman and then put that in the description to why you "negged" me, I will do it right back.

chicagogirl89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou View Post
    Good advice above

Also "healthfully" is not a word. I think you mean "healthily"
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary "Healthfully" is a word. As an adjective it is, in fact, more appropriate than the adverb "healthily."

j-train333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Actually low weight high rep is not a bad plan. personal trainers (for the most part know what they are talking about). high rep/low weight is more catered towards muscular endurance and toning. it will not decrease ur muscularity however it will not aid much in building muscle.

PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhysXJunkie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    according to this web site -> http://www.freedieting.com/tools/cal...alculator.htm#
    your BMR is 1817 cals a day and you should aim for 1453 cals a day to lose about 1lb a week. If you try to loose 3lbs a week then that means your eating 10,500 cal less a week then you would normally eat. It also says that starting to eat 1k below your BMR right off the bat is bad.
    "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

Originally Posted by j-train333 View Post
    Actually low weight high rep is not a bad plan. personal trainers (for the most part know what they are talking about). high rep/low weight is more catered towards muscular endurance and toning. it will not decrease ur muscularity however it will not aid much in building muscle.
    There's no such thing as "toning". Sorry .. you're flat out wrong, and many trainers don't know what they're talking about. The good ones will tell you that in order to maintain muscle, you have to lift heavy.

healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) healthyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There's no such thing as "toning". Sorry .. you're flat out wrong, and many trainers don't know what they're talking about. The good ones will tell you that in order to maintain muscle, you have to lift heavy.
    She is absolutely correct! Most women think excessive amounts of cardio and restricted calories is the way to go...WRONG. Restrict your calories too much, and your body begins to think its starving and stores what little calories it's receiving as fat. The more muscle, the higher metabolism and fat burning capabilities. Can you lose 3 lbs/week on the program you have stated...you bet, but as soon as you start to increase your calories you will put it back on and then some, not to mention your energy levels will be so low. Have you been lifting weights and know that you have the muscle mass beneath the fat you want to lose? I'm a big advocate of heavy lifting over excessive amounts of cardio to burn the fat...just my opinion =)
    "For attractive lips- speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes- seek out the good in people. For a slim figure- share your food with the hungry. For poise- walk with the knowledge that you will never walk alone."

MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MsMightyMau5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    3lbs a week =O asking for severe muscle loss. you didn't gain all that weight in 6 so you can't take it off in 6 weeks either. Jeez I worry about muscle loss when losing 1lb per week, 1.5 is the highest I would ever go (unless just starting keto or something where you lose alot of water at first). If you were obese maybe you could swing 2, but not at sub 150

lauracharl14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lauracharl14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lauracharl14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm 5 4" 132lbs and 20.9 body fat now.
    during 33lbs of wieght loss through diet I lost little muscle 101lbs to 98lbs drop of 15 percent bodyfat this took me 8months i was 36percent body fat.
    started 27th feb 15 duing wieghts 3 x week for 30 min for 10 weeks I started at 98 lbs muscle and 126 lbs now I'm 104lbs muscle and 132lbs and lost 3.5 percent since 27th Feb.
    last week i completed 4 workouts total lifted 10,000 lbs only lost 1lb!
    This week I've completed 11 alf hour workouts 2 hours cardio i walk 45 min everyday and lifted total 30,000 using an 8kg kettlebell at home my calorie intake is 1200 my net calorie intake is under by 900 my macros are 52 c 43p 15 f will continue until see fat loss xxxx

lauracharl14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lauracharl14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lauracharl14 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have high and low carb days when training and days i do just cardio and Sunday rest day I consume less calories worked for me so far I see 'toning' as maintain muscle but drop bodyfat so your muscles appear more toned ?

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lauracharl14 View Post
    I have high and low carb days when training and days i do just cardio and Sunday rest day I consume less calories worked for me so far I see 'toning' as maintain muscle but drop bodyfat so your muscles appear more toned ?
    Awesome bump of a 5 yr old thread.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."