BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Im overweight and want to start lifting - a question

im 6ft and around 200lbs i want to build mass but i am also wanting to lose fat.
    Should i concentrate on building mass then 'cut'? or try and lose weight then lift to build mass? or both?(is that possible) im a complete newby

anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BindMlown View Post
    im 6ft and around 200lbs i want to build mass but i am also wanting to lose fat.
    Should i concentrate on building mass then 'cut'? or try and lose weight then lift to build mass? or both?(is that possible) im a complete newby
    You could can muscle and lose weight at the same time depending on your Body fat % but you will only gain little muscle. Lost weight, Build mass, Cut

BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BindMlown has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by anahnymus View Post
    You could can muscle and lose weight at the same time depending on your Body fat % but you will only gain little muscle. Lost weight, Build mass, Cut
    Ok so while im losing weight through a caloric defecit and cardio, lifting weights wont create a lot of mass - so do you think it would be worth doing at all while im losing weight?

Reppin' Force Factor Universal64's Avatar
    Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Universal64 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My advice would be to post some pics so we can see where you are at and what kind of build you have then we can give some better advice. Best of luck!
    "The road to success isnt straight
    Theres a curve called Failure
    A loop called Confusion
    Speed bumps called Friends
    Red lights called enemies
    Caution lights called Family

But if you have a
    Spare called Determination
    An engine called Perseverance
    A driver called Jesus
    You will make it to a place called

SUCCESS"

Team Force Factor Rep
    www.forcefactor.com

anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50) anahnymus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok so while im losing weight through a caloric defecit and cardio, lifting weights wont create a lot of mass - so do you think it would be worth doing at all while im losing weight?
    Lifting weights while on a caloric deficit will help you maintain whatever muscle you have already while losing weight. Light weights would be ideal for this type of program. In order to gain muscle mass not only do you have to intake alot of protein, fat and carbs your caloric intake will be probably double maybe even triple your caloric deficit for losing weight. Its best to diet, exercise (cardio plus weight training) and then began your body transformation (muscle mass) after your desired weight is lost.

Remember the more muscle mass you have the higher your metabolism. Thats why just about every single guy on here can eat whatever they want without gaining a single pound.

Ok thankyou i will follow the simple weight routine thats stickied at the top of this forum

otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50) otiskii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, I would say lift as heavy as you can. But, since you are new it really won't be that heavy but you'll progress quickly. I've had better luck losing bodyfat by lifting than by cardio alone. In fact my best results were from lifting on a beginner 3 day program and doing cardio right after. I couldn't do that at first but after about 3 weeks I could. So if the workout was 40 minutes I did 20 of cardio. If the workout was 51 then I did 9 cardio. In other words I kept my heartrate up for an hour.

I have only lost a few pounds but if i had before an after pics you would see why. I lost 4% bf in about 2 months and I can tell. So can others. Of course, unlike you, I have another 30% to go but I found this to work best for me instead of 3 days lifting and 3 days cardio with 1 day off.

xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xBUSBYx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You will drop weight just by lifting, period. If you hit the weights hard enough and you workout correctly you will drop weight. If you are looking to get big then the best bet is to try and convert what you have into muscle, its is 10x easier to convert fat to muscle than to gain lean muscle mass. Ive been hard at it about 5 months now and ive lost 30 lbs total and about 10 inces off my waist, if i were to calculate it Ive prolly lost around 60 lbs of fat and I just started doing strict cardio this month.

Originally Posted by xBUSBYx View Post
    You will drop weight just by lifting, period. If you hit the weights hard enough and you workout correctly you will drop weight. If you are looking to get big then the best bet is to try and convert what you have into muscle, its is 10x easier to convert fat to muscle than to gain lean muscle mass. Ive been hard at it about 5 months now and ive lost 30 lbs total and about 10 inces off my waist, if i were to calculate it Ive prolly lost around 60 lbs of fat and I just started doing strict cardio this month.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=125840373

I was wondering what i should do calorie wise? without putting lifting into the equation if i eat less than 2300 calories i will lose weight - so should i eat at a deficit? should i eat 2300 cals a day or eat even more? and is it 1lb of protein for every 1lb i weigh?

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes. There is rarely a reason not to lift weights, for anyone. It is good for appearance, health, strength, mobility, injury resistance, joint strength, etc. Just keep on lifting while you're losing weight and don't worry about it not making sense to you.

Originally Posted by anahnymus View Post
    Lifting weights while on a caloric deficit will help you maintain whatever muscle you have already while losing weight. Light weights would be ideal for this type of program. In order to gain muscle mass not only do you have to intake alot of protein, fat and carbs your caloric intake will be probably double maybe even triple your caloric deficit for losing weight. Its best to diet, exercise (cardio plus weight training) and then began your body transformation (muscle mass) after your desired weight is lost.

Remember the more muscle mass you have the higher your metabolism. Thats why just about every single guy on here can eat whatever they want without gaining a single pound.
    1) Wrong. Light weights are really not very useful at all, in any situation. They just don't provide enough of a stimulus. Lifting heavy is important while losing weight, in order to keep strength and provide a stimulus that will make the body adapt by holding on to or adding muscle. If you're a fat rank novice, you will get bigger and better looking muscles while losing weight at the same time. Eventually as you become a more advanced trainee, this won't happen, but it will still be important to lift heavy ass weights while cutting.

2) It's best just to lift heavy ass weights at all times.

3) The increase in metabolic rate due to adding muscle is insignificant. No one should worry about this issue. Get bigger muscles to look better and be stronger. And the last sentence is just utter retardation.

bigcrita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigcrita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigcrita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigcrita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigcrita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigcrita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigcrita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

im in the same postion man i started to lose the weight and now im gaining muscle and its working

Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Welcome to the club, bro. I'm 220 and need to lose weight. I started lifting weights again about one year ago, and I've maintained my bodyweight while getting stronger. I'll start cutting once I achieve my strength goals.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Gaining strength and losing fat works until you get down to around 13-16% BF.

Just be vigilant and make sure that you are either losing scale weight or gaining strength. If neither is happening, you are spinning your wheels

varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by xBUSBYx View Post
    So fat is converted into muscles?
    I guess protein helps in muscle building and fat can help in getting calories (which are required in this process, otherwise protein will be used to get calories which will be a wastage of protein) while it burns.

Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by varundbest View Post
    So fat is converted into muscles?
    I guess protein helps in muscle building and fat can help in getting calories (which are required in this process, otherwise protein will be used to get calories which will be a wastage of protein) while it burns.
    No, I don't think that fat can be converted into muscle tissue.

varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varundbest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Koaia View Post
    So what i am saying is correct?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Koaia View Post
    It can insofar as fat cells can supply energy to support hypertrophy. Whether the body will do that or not depends on hormones - most people's bodies will not allow this if they are already quite lean.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMO, 6' and 200lbs isn't a bad weight. You could maintain your weight, but train solidly for a couple years, and totally change your physique. Also, the process of adding muscle over time will have you burning more calories over time. Not just from the workouts you do, but from the extra muscle you'll be carrying down the road. Someething to think about.
    --- Nick ---