-E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Good to be back! (Fat-loss without cardio?)

Hi there guys, I've been away from this forum for around 2 years and haven't even been into a gym for about a year and a half or so! However recently, as I'm back home from university and have all the time in the world, I have been considering getting back into shape having put on about a stone of fat in the last year

Unfortunately due to my own reasons I will not be doing any cardio work outs, I can explain why if anyone really wants to know but anyway, I have plenty of knowledge regarding what to eat and when in order to lose weight but was wondering if any of you have any knowledge regarding more effective fat-loss for someone not doing any cardio, all I've really thought about is maybe eating slightly less carbs than I would have normally, and maybe going for a walk on an empty stomach first thing in the morning any help is appreciated!

harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10) harshathlete is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by -E- View Post
    Hi there guys, I've been away from this forum for around 2 years and haven't even been into a gym for about a year and a half or so! However recently, as I'm back home from university and have all the time in the world, I have been considering getting back into shape having put on about a stone of fat in the last year

Unfortunately due to my own reasons I will not be doing any cardio work outs, I can explain why if anyone really wants to know but anyway, I have plenty of knowledge regarding what to eat and when in order to lose weight but was wondering if any of you have any knowledge regarding more effective fat-loss for someone not doing any cardio, all I've really thought about is maybe eating slightly less carbs than I would have normally, and maybe going for a walk on an empty stomach first thing in the morning any help is appreciated!
    There a quite a few people here who are extremely lean without doing any cardio whatsoever. The key to weight/fat loss is creating a consistent calorie deficit. Whether you do it through cardio or just eating less, the end result will be the same.

You also mention that you are open to walking. Well, walking is a form of cardio although it may not get your heart rate up as high as jogging/running/biking will, but it will still burn calories.

So find out how many calories you need to eat to maintain your weight, then subtract 500-1000 from it and eat that number every day to get 1lb - 2lb loss per week.

Hopefully your strength training sessions will be intense enough and your walking sessions long enough to burn extra calories and thus create more deficit. That will allow you to splurge once or two times a week. i.e. eat a cheat meal ( or two ) that takes you back to your maintenance level calories , but you still lose weight.

HTH
    Harshathlete

PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You have to be more specific about what "no cardio" means, regardless of the reason - you can do circuits with bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats) as HIIT that could make up for it. Lots of people do jump rope as cardio, can you do that? If no cardio just means you can't run/use an elliptical, that's no big deal.

-E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeh thanks for the help guys, im not actually doing any strength training right now, i still have a good amount of muscle from when i was still going at the gym hard, which should hopefully aid me in my fat-loss. Also, when i say no cardio i mean no specific exercises to raise my heart rate, i am open to long walks and will most likely begin doing these first thing in the morning on an empty stomach

The reason i am not doing cardio is a really stupid one but it's basically based around a fear of raising my heart rate due to certain recent episodes that i am certainly over coming and hope to eventually be able to forget so i can continue going at it as hard as i once was!

if i am doing no real cardio should i maybe have more of a calorie deficit than i would have otherwise? my maintenance last time i calculated it was around 2600 calories, should i maybe aim for 1500 a day as im doing no cardio?