FalvoPS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Torn Distal Bicep Tendon Advice

I'm looking for advice regarding a torn distal bicep tendon. In teh early part of the fall I had pain in my shoulder around my acromioclavicular (AC) joint. For a few weeks I was unable to do reverse grip (underhand) pulldowns and had some pain with bicep curls. Eventually the pain went away and I was able to return to my regular routine. In November I was doing hammer curls and I had a sharp pain in my bicep and it began to bruise. I assumed I just ruptured a blood vessel and continued to lift.

After about 3 weeks I though I had tendonitis so I made an appointment to see a physician who specializes in sports medicine. I was sent for an X-ray and an MRI, which revealed that I had partially torn my left distal bicep tendon. The tendon did not seperate from the bone, rather it split in half. I began physical therapy and I had been following my regular lifting routine, but I cut out all bicep and back exercises, and lightened up on everything else. This past week I had severe pain and swelling after I did a light shoulder workout. Apparently, I retore the healing tendon and may require surgery.

My question is, besides training legs, which I plan to do twice a week as I do now, what can I do to maintain my upperbody? I have the goal of leaning out, but I'm affraid if I run too much I'll lose a lot of mass and end being flabby. Does anyone have any advice for me?

WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) WibbleWabble will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do what your doctor recommends. keep doing moderate weekly cardio just to keep the blood cycling nicely so you'll heal faster. you might consider a joint supp. as well.

FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I tore my distal bicep about 4 years ago doing straight bar curls. it popped 3 times and I knew it was bad. I went to a great doctor and he said that if I wanted surgery it needed to be done with in the first week before it scars down. He said that if I let it heal on its own with out surgery that the pain would go away. I chose not to have the surgery. I went about a month with no lifting other than my arm weight which was kept minimul. This is so it would scar down with no re-tearing. After the month I started very very very light curls with 1lb. I just slowly worked my way up past where I was before it tore, adding a few lbs a week. The pain did disappear after a few months and never came back. The only setback was that if it didn't scar down good enough, it would tear again and I would just get the surgery then. I'm very happy with the decision I made with the doctors advice and I've had no problems with it since.
    I hope this helped ya a little.

irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by FLbeach321 View Post
    I tore my distal bicep about 4 years ago doing straight bar curls. it popped 3 times and I knew it was bad. I went to a great doctor and he said that if I wanted surgery it needed to be done with in the first week before it scars down. He said that if I let it heal on its own with out surgery that the pain would go away. I chose not to have the surgery.
    I had the same injury only I opted to have the surgery - about a month ago. It took two weeks before I could use that arm to bring coffee to my mouth. Now, at 4 wks I am curling 15lbs (Doc set the limit) But really, 15lbs is pushing it. I can feel it pull at the reattatchment point.

I have similar questions as above. For lack of formal PT what kind of exercises can/should I be doing and at what wieght and at what progression? I want to push myself but I DO NOT want to go through this again. Until I get some clear guidance I will err on the side of extreme light weight.

FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sounds like you made the right decision. you won't have to worry about it coming back off again. my only advice is to take it slow and let it heal down. i was under the impression that 6-8 weeks before lifting that kind of weight but i guess your doctor knows best. just remember that this is your 1 chance to let it heal so go slow even if it takes a few extra weeks

irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) irondork is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To follow up: It's been two months since my surgery and I am back to lifting anything I want at the gym. I don't have the strength I had but it is improving fast. I was surprised at how weak I became. The muscle mass was still there but it was useless. NO STRENGTH whatsoever. Prior to injury I was doing, for example, sets of 10 with 180lbs on the bench. A month after surgery I was sweating to put up just the bar. No lie! Now, at two months post surgery I did 10, 7, 6 with 135lbs and worked my butt off.

So the strength is returning but EVERYONE is telling me I'll be back to where I was in 6 months. I think it'll be sooner because I'm smarter than everyone else. :-)

In the meantime, there doesn't seem to be any restriction on what lifts I can make. All the exercises I was doing before the injury, I can do now without any pain. Just can't lift as much - YET!

Hope this helps someone down the road looking for info on this type of injury. I probably won't post here again but if you have questions like I did, please feel free to contact me.