Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Expected Pull-up/Chin-up Progression

On the version of Starting Strength which I'm doing, pull-ups and chin-ups are each included once a week. I just started my third week, and I have been very satisfied with my progression; my chin-ups went from 7/5/5 to 8/5/4 and then 9/6/4, and my pull-ups have gone from 4/4/4 to 5/4/4 (I'm hoping for 6/5/4 this Friday). My form is strict with no kipping.

How quickly do pull-ups and chin-ups usually progress on a weekly basis? I want to know what I should be shooting for in terms of increased repetitions. Once I hit 15 chin-ups/pull-ups I'll start adding weight of course.

xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xagent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It all depends on how much you're eating and how active the rest of your lifestyle is (desk job, manual labor, play other sports, etc...)

Also, which SS version are you doing? The one I see on the website that includes pullups AND chinups ("Practical Programming Novice Program:" - the third version of the program). Only really has these exercises, with 3 sets of chins once a week and 3 sets of pullups once a week for directly targeting the lats and partially hitting the biceps and forearms.

Are you also doing barbell or dumbbell rows or power cleans? These will help your pulls and chins, but I dont see any of these included in the SS you're doing.

Personal experience:

I never did starting strength. But I did read about it and various 5x5 and other beginner/intermediate programs. I went from doing about only 2-3 bodyweight pullups 9 months ago, to doing able to do 3x5 weighted pullups at 35 pounds. This is after doing 5x5 sets of bent over BB rows at 155 pounds, which also went up from only 75 pounds 9 months ago. Last time I tried unweighted, a month ago, I was able to do around 20-25 pullups at bodyweight.

so... all depends on your eating/lifestyle habits and which SS you're doing and if you do any other exercises on top of that.

Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10) Buddy-Joe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xagent View Post
    It all depends on how much you're eating and how active the rest of your lifestyle is (desk job, manual labor, play other sports, etc...)

Also, which SS version are you doing? The one I see on the website that includes pullups AND chinups ("Practical Programming Novice Program:" - the third version of the program). Only really has these exercises, with 3 sets of chins once a week and 3 sets of pullups once a week for directly targeting the lats and partially hitting the biceps and forearms.

Are you also doing barbell or dumbbell rows or power cleans? These will help your pulls and chins, but I dont see any of these included in the SS you're doing.

Personal experience:

I never did starting strength. But I did read about it and various 5x5 and other beginner/intermediate programs. I went from doing about only 2-3 bodyweight pullups 9 months ago, to doing able to do 3x5 weighted pullups at 35 pounds. This is after doing 5x5 sets of bent over BB rows at 155 pounds, which also went up from only 75 pounds 9 months ago. Last time I tried unweighted, a month ago, I was able to do around 20-25 pullups at bodyweight.

so... all depends on your eating/lifestyle habits and which SS you're doing and if you do any other exercises on top of that.
    I'm a high school/private school teacher, so I live a moderately active lifestyle with lots of walking and standing. Right now I'm strictly carb cycling with 3000, 2500, or 2000 calories/day depending on the day, and I'm always getting in 1.5 grams my weight in protein a day. I would say that I'm not quite a novice with pull-ups, but I started really doing them about three months ago. I have gone from 2 unassisted chin-ups to 9 in that time, but since I got on Starting Strength, I have been developing at one per week.

I'm doing the version of SS that you mentioned. It doesn't include power cleans or bent over rows, but pull-ups/chin-ups instead.

Your pull-up numbers are impressive. I'm hoping to get there in the timeframe you did.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pull ups will progress according to a number of variables that we can't predict. Most of it, has to do with you specifically, and you would be the best judge, but even that is impossible.

The other, is bsaed on your training type and recovery styles.

If you are wanting ot merely increase reps, doing 3 sets to failure is not the best method. Look into a training tactic called "greasing the groove". You perform many sub-failure sets throughout the day.

If starting strength has you doing 5 reps per set, why would you wait till 15 reps to add weight? Seems pointless. The minute you are doing 5/5/5 of pull ups, add weight, to stay in your desired rep range.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Pull ups will progress according to a number of variables that we can't predict. Most of it, has to do with you specifically, and you would be the best judge, but even that is impossible.

If you are wanting ot merely increase reps, doing 3 sets to failure is not the best method. Look into a training tactic called "greasing the groove". You perform many sub-failure sets throughout the day.

If starting strength has you doing 5 reps per set, why would you wait till 15 reps to add weight? Seems pointless. The minute you are doing 5/5/5 of pull ups, add weight, to stay in your desired rep range.
    The program instructs us to only add weight once we can do 15 non-weighted non-kipping pull-ups.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Buddy-Joe View Post
    The program instructs us to only add weight once we can do 15 non-weighted non-kipping pull-ups.
    Okay.

Well then refer to the Grease the groove tip. Figure out your one set max. If it is 10 reps, then throughout your day, do many sets of 5 reps. Never approaching failure. Like every time you pass your pull up bar, or every time you go to the bathroom. Some way to do it many times. At the end of the week, recheck your max. if it has gone up to 16 pull ups, then start doing many sets of 8. lather rinse, repeat.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WADEAL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I got my chinning up to speed by doing 3 sets at the start of every back work out and then as many as possible afterwards, resting and pausing and doing about 25 in the final batch. Once the final set was complete, I would lower the bar on a Smith machine and sit underneath it. Doing chins from this position takes the legs out of the equation and allows a few more to be completed. Negative reps also helped. Climb on a bench when you hit failure and lower yourself down. Then climb back up and do it again, you should be able to manage three or four more reps.

On my leg day I would also do a set of extra chins - a good warm up and a neat way to bring up the lagging exercise.

The biggest problem I now have is that I have gained weight really quickly and it takes more effort to do the chins when ther is more of you - I can't wait to cut up!

Andre4000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post

Is the only way to add weight to pull/chin ups to put on one of those belts and attach a plate to it?

Originally Posted by Andre4000 View Post
    Is the only way to add weight to pull/chin ups to put on one of those belts and attach a plate to it?
    You can use a dip belt, or I just hold a dumbbell between my feet. If you have trouble holding it with your toes, cross your feet/ankles and rest the DB in the nook of your ankles. If the knurling tears up your skin, wrap your gym towel around it to provide comfort/padding.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -