ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Road vs Stationary Bike

So, today I took out my bike for a 20 mile ride. I have not been on it in over a year. I usually just ride the stationary in the gym. Boy, what a great difference! My heart rate monitor got way up there fast, like when running. The changes in terrain gave me a HIIT like workout. I took a trail near the river, and felt inspired and loved the fresh air.

In the Gym, the ride is so blaaa; and so unnatural. Yes it burn cals, but according to my heart rate monitor, I burn around 700-800 for an hour in the gym, and around 1200 for an hour outside on a real bike. Plus, it felt easier out side... Maybe the distractions of the trail, but more likely the randomness and the natural movement and constantly changing terrain.

Just thought I would share!

I think I am going to change my primary work transportation for a while. I can take that trail and get there in 18 miles one way. Coming home is all down hill.
    Qualify as a Bar-barian by Fall 2011.
    Physical requirements include:
    1. 5 Muscle Ups
    2. 45 Dips
    3. 25 Pull-ups
    4. 55 Push Ups
    5. and 5 Muscle Ups, within 6 mins.

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChimarraoMate View Post
    So, today I took out my bike for a 20 mile ride. I have not been on it in over a year. I usually just ride the stationary in the gym. Boy, what a great difference! My heart rate monitor got way up there fast, like when running. The changes in terrain gave me a HIIT like workout. I took a trail near the river, and felt inspired and loved the fresh air.

In the Gym, the ride is so blaaa; and so unnatural. Yes it burn cals, but according to my heart rate monitor, I burn around 700-800 for an hour in the gym, and around 1200 for an hour outside on a real bike. Plus, it felt easier out side... Maybe the distractions of the trail, but more likely the randomness and the natural movement and constantly changing terrain.

I think I am going to change my primary work transportation for a while. I can take that trail and get there in 18 miles one way. Coming home is all down hill.
    nice - enjoy!
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

LaneyP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I totally agree, I ride the stationary all winter and as soon as spring roll around I remember how enjoyable it is to get out there. I try not to drive my truck when I can just get on the bike and go.

I like to ride the stationary to warm up at the gym though.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree there is no comparison, riding a bike outdoors either on the road or on woodland trails is so much more fun and burns more cals than riding in a gym.

Just taken a look at my Garmin and I've cycled 700KM since March this year and have burnt 29,570 calories.

Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Road bike for the win!

I can tolerate about 20 minutes on a stationary bike, but outside I could go for hours.

You can mix it up too; take a flat route and spin for a little LISS cardio, or go hard, sprint, and ride the hills for more of a HIIT variation.

You can burn a lot of calories on these things. Just make sure to eat well for a heavy ride, or you could end up looking like a skinny Pro bike rider ;-)

cyclingfan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post

You can burn a lot of calories on these things. Just make sure to eat well for a heavy ride, or you could end up looking like a skinny Pro bike rider ;-)

That always makes me think about my buddies who always talk about weight training in the off season and how they don't want to lift "too heavy" because they don't want to bulk up or get too muscular. I always tell them, don't worry, it's not gonna happen.

Same goes for riding a bike, most of the guys in the gym I've spoken with always say they worry that riding a bike will make them look like a skinny cyclist. I always tell them that unless they stop lifting altogether and start riding 300+ miles a week for years on end it's probably something they don't need to worry about.

People!

KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KLR650 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ChimarraoMate View Post

I ride a motorcycle to work everyday. I flat out cannot sit on a bicycle anymore - feels far too awkward and alien to me. I don't do stationary bikes either - way too boring.

Shame really, because I'm with you - riding outside can be an extremely good way to burn calories and get some fresh air. My city has miles and miles and miles of rural bike trails but like I said, after commuting 40 miles on a motorcycle, my Trek mountain bike feels like a toy.

C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) C5VetteLS1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I live at 7000' in the mountains and have endless mountain trails to ride. Man, what a refreshing way to workout! I do the elliptical when we're snowed in but I'm always on the mountain bike when whether allows. I snapped this pic with my phone camera during my rest stop (uphill 1-hour) this past Sunday. Needless to say, my dog loves these rides too!

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 25

Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ed-B will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On a more somber note - be careful out there.

My wife just told me that her colleague - my primary care doc - got hit on his bicycle yesterday. Very badly hurt. Hit by a truck.

Multiple fractures, broken ribs, respiratory problems. Doesn't sound good at all...
    Last edited by Ed-B; 07-06-2010 at 02:02 PM.

ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ChimarraoMate has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

My wife just told me that her colleague - my primary care doc - got hit on his bicycle yesterday. Very badly hurt. Hit by a truck.

Multiple fractures, broken ribs, respiratory problems. Doesn't sound good at all...
    Good point. That is why I take small roads and 10 miles of it is on a trail with no cars. Still, good to point out the hazards.
    Qualify as a Bar-barian by Fall 2011.
    Physical requirements include:
    1. 5 Muscle Ups
    2. 45 Dips
    3. 25 Pull-ups
    4. 55 Push Ups
    5. and 5 Muscle Ups, within 6 mins.

JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1 View Post
    I live at 7000' in the mountains and have endless mountain trails to ride. Man, what a refreshing way to workout! I do the elliptical when we're snowed in but I'm always on the mountain bike when whether allows. I snapped this pic with my phone camera during my rest stop (uphill 1-hour) this past Sunday. Needless to say, my dog loves these rides too!

I am jealous.
    "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground outside of the Lord's will. So do not be afraid, or worry, for you are worth much more than many sparrows."

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and the rest shall be given to you as well."

CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I don't know how anyone can ride a bike in any kind of traffic. Your lives are totally in the hands of other drivers and that scares the crap out of me. I see these guys and girls riding with traffic with cars whizzing bye them, just one person texting or on a cell phone and it's over.
    I ride a motorcycle and at least I can accelerate out of the way of some of these morons. Now a bike path or off road sounds enjoyable.

RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoadKingRocket is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Biking outside is always the best. Rather it be on the trail or on the road, you will ALWAYS get a better workout (cardio-wise). I used to mountain bike race and am working towards getting back into it. I will spin in the house if I don't have time to make the trail or go for a nice road ride. But, if I can be outside...that is where I prefer to be!
    My Journey thread if you're interested...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125250581

Proud Patriot Guard Riders member
    PGR Kentucky - http://www.pgrofky.com
    National PGR - http://www.patriotguard.org

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'll take riding outside over any indoor cardio any day. Spin class is for when it's raining, or too cold to go outside. Here are my rides:

Rocky Mountain Element T.O. (built myself in 1998):

Bianchi D.I.S.S. Single-Speed: