Copper75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Heavy cardio and Weight on the same day?

My main goal is to loose weight. I've lost 17 lbs in the last two months of dieting and cardio (1hr). Last week I added a workout plan to the mix and slowed down the cardio (30 min) due to time constraints. I was thinking about doing an hour of cario before work and working out after work to break up the time but I may have to add them together. I only workout (weights) three times a week but do cardio everyday. I'd like to stay with an intense cardio session either way I do it. Is it counter productive to do an intense cardio session before a workout session?

Correction: I want to lose fat not just weight.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Copper75 View Post
    My main goal is to loose weight. I've lost 17 lbs in the last two months of dieting and cardio (1hr). Last week I added a workout plan to the mix and slowed down the cardio (30 min) due to time constraints. I was thinking about doing an hour of cario before work and working out after work to break up the time but I may have to add them together. I only workout (weights) three times a week but do cardio everyday. I'd like to stay with an intense cardio session either way I do it. Is it counter productive to do an intense cardio session before a workout session?

Correction: I want to lose fat not just weight.
    No, it's fine to do the cardio in the manner you describe (approx 8hrs apart form lifting, since you're doing cardio first).

Congrats on your current weight loss, but just keep in mind that more isn't always better. There will come a point where doing "intense" cardio can be counterproductive on its own; can effect LBM gains, can fatigue you...and can also cause your body to stop burning fat as efficiently. Keep doing what you're doing if it's working, but when it slows or stops, you'd be wise to cut cardio back to a max of 3 days per week, along with your 3x lifting sessions. Again, congrats on your progress.

And welcome!
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Copper75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    No, it's fine to do the cardio in the manner you describe (approx 8hrs apart form lifting, since you're doing cardio first).

Congrats on your current weight loss, but just keep in mind that more isn't always better. There will come a point where doing "intense" cardio can be counterproductive on its own; can effect LBM gains, can fatigue you...and can also cause your body to stop burning fat as efficiently. Keep doing what you're doing if it's working, but when it slows or stops, you'd be wise to cut cardio back to a max of 3 days per week, along with your 3x lifting sessions. Again, congrats on your progress.

And welcome!

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the reply. I wouldn't say the cardio I do is real intense but I try to keep my heart rate pretty elevated. I was reading that a male my age has an average maximum heart rate of 185 BPM. When I do cardio I like to keep it in the upper 150's (running) with a short blast into the 160 (sprints while running). Am I doing too much? I guess this falls in the more isnt better, right?

BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBLou has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you are going to work cardio and weights in the same session, I would recommend to do your cardio after the weights rather than before, especially if you are doing an intense cardio session...
    "Consistency, hard work and dedication is the key to success"

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Copper75 View Post
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and the reply. I wouldn't say the cardio I do is real intense but I try to keep my heart rate pretty elevated. I was reading that a male my age has an average maximum heart rate of 185 BPM. When I do cardio I like to keep it in the upper 150's (running) with a short blast into the 160 (sprints while running). Am I doing too much? I guess this falls in the more isnt better, right?
    That max heart rate varies with the fitness of the individual, not just the age. I have seen 200 sprinting at the end of a long 10 miler.

dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    cardio right after weights is ideal and will really help lose fat.