igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100)

My vertical leap training

I've been doing extensive research on vertical leap because I want to jump as high as I did in High school, and so far I'm seeing an increase in my vertical leap; but tell me what you think about my vertical jump rating system. I've developed a system in order to figure out why my vertical isn't rising, because I've done everything I can such as plyometrics, stretching, squats, and other stuff I've found on the internet and tried and failed.

But I've found something that has been working for me. I rated my self based on:

-How much I could power clean
    -Fat percentage
    -Waist to hip ratio
    -Over all core strength

I would develope a program based on whichever one of these 4 I'm weakest on.

So far it has been working out for me, a week ago I could only touch the rim; and now I am hanging on it for being 5'8". I've been doing lower back exercises because I got lower back pain from doing power cleans and I've been doing power cleans.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by igquick View Post
    But I've found something that has been working for me. I rated my self based on:

-Fat percentage
    -Waist to hip ratio
    -Over all core strength

So far it has been working out for me, a week ago I could only touch the rim; and now I am hanging on it for being 5'8". I've been doing lower back exercises because I got lower back pain from doing power cleans and I've been doing power cleans.
    You haven't found any system that works. It's just not possible to evaluate something like that after one week. Note that I am not saying that what you did isn't working. I would suggest sticking with the changes you've made until you stop making progress and then try one of your other 4 methods.

Keep in mind it could even be because of what you did before you made changes that you are seeing progress now. Perhaps you had too much built up fatigue before, and now you don't have much. But that could mean you now have insufficient stimulus to continue making progress (and cause fatigue). Perhaps you didn't eat or sleep as well previously but made a change (that you're possibly not aware of) that increased recovery.

There are way too many variables to draw conclusions like that.

ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've been doing extensive research on vertical leap because I want to jump as high as I did in High school, and so far I'm seeing an increase in my vertical leap; but tell me what you think about my vertical jump rating system. I've developed a system in order to figure out why my vertical isn't rising, because I've done everything I can such as plyometrics, stretching, squats, and other stuff I've found on the internet and tried and failed.

-Fat percentage
    -Waist to hip ratio
    -Over all core strength

awesome!

what kinda lower back exercises are you doing, and at what pace? are they quick reps, or slow?

igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100) igquick is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've been doing quad workouts during the winter (over working out), then rested a full week. Then was able to grab rim which surprised the crap out of me. Then I gained upper body muscle, so I lost a lot of ups during spring. Then started getting cut (made my fat percentage get really low, Im at 8% which is alright), and now Im doing this workout system. Now I can hang on the rim and just today my little brother said Im jumping a lot higher; even though I've been working out like a mad man on power lifts, and played basketball/lower back exercises/power cleans the day before. I just feel a lot different. My goal is to be able to hang on the rim after hours of basketball, because when I was in high school, I won a tournament and was so happy that I hung on the rim. I miss being able to jump that high, but in turn, I was a skinny weak upper body kid.

So far I've been doing straight leg dead lifts with 40 lb dumbbells if Im at home (really easy but I plan to get bigger weights). I used to do supermans but they are extremely easy. If Im at the gym, I'll do power cleans, and use the lower back machine for my lower back. During winter, I jumped like I had no hops and I could only do 4 reps of 160 lbs on the lower back machine. Now, just the other day, I did 4 sets, 25 reps, and 160 lbs on the same machine; so you can kind of see the correlation to my vertical leap. I forgot to add that when I do any reps, I do them as quick as possible. I stop if my body starts getting tired and my reps become slower. Im certain that it is bad to do the reps slow because that isn't the kind of energy I want to attain from my workouts, which are slow twitched muscles. I want fast twitch muscles in any workout I do. Even though I've been able to run a mile in less than 6 minutes, to me it doesn't translate into basketball. For example, during winter I ran like this, and I always ran a couple times a week; BUT my running on the basketball court sucked. Right now I just exercise all fast twitched and my running on the court is significantly better than it was during winter. I was always wondering why I ran a million miles a week during high school but I always jogged during basketball when Im tired; it's because I've been working out my slow twich muscles and not enough fast twitched.
    Last edited by igquick; 07-06-2010 at 02:40 PM.

sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up I wanna jump high too

I've been working on being able to jump higher and sprint faster as well. You're right that you should do quick reps and stop when you get tired (Quality > quantity). A few exercises you should try are single leg hyper extensions and single leg squats. The reason these two workouts are very effective is that when you run you hit the ground with one leg at a time (unless you're a kangaroo). People can normally jump higher running and jumping off one leg so it would usually be good to train to be using one leg at a time (I think it helps you to train how your nervous system "speaks" to your muscles one leg at a time and builds muscle. I'm not an expert lol). Keep up the power cleaning as it's a way to increase power for sure and keep posting so I can copy you if your method keeps working.

Originally Posted by sderico1 View Post
    I've been working on being able to jump higher and sprint faster as well. You're right that you should do quick reps and stop when you get tired (Quality > quantity). A few exercises you should try are single leg hyper extensions and single leg squats. The reason these two workouts are very effective is that when you run you hit the ground with one leg at a time (unless you're a kangaroo). People can normally jump higher running and jumping off one leg so it would usually be good to train to be using one leg at a time (I think it helps you to train how your nervous system "speaks" to your muscles one leg at a time and builds muscle. I'm not an expert lol). Keep up the power cleaning as it's a way to increase power for sure and keep posting so I can copy you if your method keeps working.
    To be honest I suck at jumping off one leg, I jump off two feet better sadly. I've been always doing pistol squats for like a year or two but I haven't seen any difference. Alright I'll post something every week, I pray that this all wasn't luck right?
    Last edited by igquick; 07-07-2010 at 01:49 AM.

My bad I ment two 20 lb dumbbells**

sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sderico1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    To be honest I suck at jumping off one leg, I jump off two feet better sadly. I've been always doing pistol squats for like a year or two but I haven't seen any difference. Alright I'll post something every week, I pray that this all wasn't luck right?
    2 foot is more explosive strength based while one is more reactive strength based so maybe you'd be able to get your running vertical up by doing plyometrics on the days you aren't doing strength training. Just make sure you give yourself rest and keep quality over quantity (plyometrics are supposed to really tire out your CNS). Another thing you can do is just practice running and jumping off one leg because it could be that you are just not used to the motion. Could you tell me what your squat and power clean are up to?

Originally Posted by sderico1 View Post
    2 foot is more explosive strength based while one is more reactive strength based so maybe you'd be able to get your running vertical up by doing plyometrics on the days you aren't doing strength training. Just make sure you give yourself rest and keep quality over quantity (plyometrics are supposed to really tire out your CNS). Another thing you can do is just practice running and jumping off one leg because it could be that you are just not used to the motion. Could you tell me what your squat and power clean are up to?
    Max power cleaned 310. I haven't done squats since I could barely do any, but I could max leg press 800.

Right now I have been doing mostly sprints.

Alright for anyone that has been paying attention, for this week I've been trying to get cutter because my body fat percentage went up a little which could be just a fluctuation. The fat percentage Im trying to go for is 5% because the highest leapers are literally sticks. Kadour Ziani and Mr. 720 (the guy that can do a 720 dunk) are way skinnier than me and they both have amazing vertical leaps.

Anyways I've done around 3 miles of sprinting and 2 miles of jogging (jogging can be bad or good depending on the person) in order to get cut and played a lot of basketball this week.

It has been less than two weeks, and after I did my 2 mile jogging with a couple family members, I was able to grab (and hang if I wanted to but it would probably break the hoop, and myself) and when I started this system, I could only get 3 inches over the rim at most. Also, I can now touch the rim when just standing and jumping, and before I did this system, I could only jump 4 inches to 3 inches below the rim.

So far I think this system has been working for me...

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    and when I started this system, I could only get 3 inches over the rim at most. Also, I can now touch the rim when just standing and jumping, and before I did this system, I could only jump 4 inches to 3 inches below the rim.

So far I think this system has been working for me...
    So, this "system" added 6 inches to your vertical leap in 10 days?
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000) TPower81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    How much do you weigh man.

I'd like to dunk because I've never been able to. I might make that my next gym goal...not that I play basketball or anything but I think it would be cool to do. I'm 5'10".

Power clean 310 is pretty freakin good though. Most people in the gym can't even back squat 315.

I started doing hang cleans to learn the motion, but I'm having trouble dropping down into the front squat position. I can hang clean 185 and front squat 275 but can't really power clean more than 185.
    wut?

GarthGarrels has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GarthGarrels has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GarthGarrels has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Try the "Jump Attack" workout. Designed to increase your vertical, speed, and quickness. It's a great program.

I'll take a look at the jump attack workouts

Actually I gained 4 inches on my standing then jump vert. My running vert is a little obscure because sometimes I get a really good jump, and sometimes I just completely F it up. So for running vert, I went from going 3 inches over the rim, to being able to hang on it.

I play a lot of basketball and I feel that I'm really well rounded but there is one thing I cannot do, and that's dunk. I also feel that if I get a large vertical leap, it will really take my game to the next level. Dunking would be pretty cool for us short people.

I've gotten pretty high on the power cleans because practicing helps a lot and working on my lower back and hip extension muscles. Right now Im just kind of trying to maintain the exercise. Im 170 lbs 5'8" tall and 8% body fat.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Vid of power clean plz. How much can you DL, for comparison?

You might find romanian deadlifts or good mornings more useful/effective for lower back strength than this machine you keep talking about (or is this just a standard back extension apparatus?). Either way, RDL's/GM's work the posterior chain well.

Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    Vid of power clean plz. How much can you DL, for comparison?

You might find romanian deadlifts or good mornings more useful/effective for lower back strength than this machine you keep talking about (or is this just a standard back extension apparatus?). Either way, RDL's/GM's work the posterior chain well.
    my camera is broken

lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Leg press for sure. My vertical went up 10 inches in like 6 months of leg press. Not only factor, but MAJOR contributor.

Originally Posted by lionsman81 View Post
    Leg press for sure. My vertical went up 10 inches in like 6 months of leg press. Not only factor, but MAJOR contributor.
    So what is your vertical now? How much do you leg press?

My leg pressing used to depend on where Im at because every gym seems to have a lot of weight for leg pressing, or just have a machine that maxes out at 400 lbs.

ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100) ProSport25 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I've been doing quad workouts during the winter (over working out), then rested a full week. Then was able to grab rim which surprised the crap out of me. Then I gained upper body muscle, so I lost a lot of ups during spring. Then started getting cut (made my fat percentage get really low, Im at 8% which is alright), and now Im doing this workout system. Now I can hang on the rim and just today my little brother said Im jumping a lot higher; even though I've been working out like a mad man on power lifts, and played basketball/lower back exercises/power cleans the day before. I just feel a lot different. My goal is to be able to hang on the rim after hours of basketball, because when I was in high school, I won a tournament and was so happy that I hung on the rim. I miss being able to jump that high, but in turn, I was a skinny weak upper body kid.

So far I've been doing straight leg dead lifts with 40 lb dumbbells if Im at home (really easy but I plan to get bigger weights). I used to do supermans but they are extremely easy. If Im at the gym, I'll do power cleans, and use the lower back machine for my lower back. During winter, I jumped like I had no hops and I could only do 4 reps of 160 lbs on the lower back machine. Now, just the other day, I did 4 sets, 25 reps, and 160 lbs on the same machine; so you can kind of see the correlation to my vertical leap. I forgot to add that when I do any reps, I do them as quick as possible. I stop if my body starts getting tired and my reps become slower. Im certain that it is bad to do the reps slow because that isn't the kind of energy I want to attain from my workouts, which are slow twitched muscles. I want fast twitch muscles in any workout I do. Even though I've been able to run a mile in less than 6 minutes, to me it doesn't translate into basketball. For example, during winter I ran like this, and I always ran a couple times a week; BUT my running on the basketball court sucked. Right now I just exercise all fast twitched and my running on the court is significantly better than it was during winter. I was always wondering why I ran a million miles a week during high school but I always jogged during basketball when Im tired; it's because I've been working out my slow twich muscles and not enough fast twitched.
    i suck at cleans. i've never really tried them. i hit the leg press, lower back extensions, and calf raises. i think i'm gonna try those straight legged deadlifts.

ay keep us posted. it would be cool to eventually see you posting about rocking the rim off the bounce, or off the backboard.

Originally Posted by ProSport25 View Post
    i suck at cleans. i've never really tried them. i hit the leg press, lower back extensions, and calf raises. i think i'm gonna try those straight legged deadlifts.

ay keep us posted. it would be cool to eventually see you posting about rocking the rim off the bounce, or off the backboard.
    I'm gaining in my vert, but I hope my vertical doesn't taper any time soon.

Right now Im just in the healing process and I'll check my vertical in a couple days to see if it got higher

Tested my standing no step vertical today and I was able to touch rim easily; and that is after all the plyometrics, sprinting, and dumbbell high swings I've done today and core workouts yesterday. Also Im kind of editing the system because I've found better correlations to my vert, but til then I'll keep yall posted if anybody is still reading.

Max power cleaned 310. I haven't done squats since I could barely do any, but I could max leg press 800.

Right now I have been doing mostly sprints.
    That's a beastly power clean. You should probably work on your reactive strength but the only way I know how to do that is plyometrics or just practicing running and jumping all out. Still you should keep working on that power clean or maybe try switching it up with box sqats because dunking on someone while in the post being 5ft 8 would be awesome to do

cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squatting me enabled to dunk at 5' 8.5". I could dunk pretty easily (off of a couple steps). Could dunk with two hands. And could nearly windmill.

I went from touching rim to doing these things in 5 months. And with every week (as i went up in squat) i could feel myself jump a lil higher)
    Last edited by cbjackson24; 07-20-2010 at 10:40 PM.
    Rebuilding.

lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So what is your vertical now? How much do you leg press?

My leg pressing used to depend on where Im at because every gym seems to have a lot of weight for leg pressing, or just have a machine that maxes out at 400 lbs.
    My vertical is roughly 31 or 32 now. My max on leg press was 1300, but now it is 1150. I stopped leg pressing for a while because I had a few leg injuries from playing some pick-up games of football and basketball.