cluelessmoose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how is stored fat broken down and by what?

I really don't know much of the details on this subject so I was wondering if I could get some help. If you could go through the whole process as detailed as possible I'd truly appreciate it.

Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000) Gusthebus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good question. I'm curious too. I know it leaves ur body by breathing and peeing but not broken down
    1k+ 100% of the time

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by cluelessmoose View Post
    I really don't know much of the details on this subject so I was wondering if I could get some help. If you could go through the whole process as detailed as possible I'd truly appreciate it.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+is+fat+broken+down+in+the+body
    Barely decent crew

Alanw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alanw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alanw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The liver breaks down fat stores, and turns them into usable energy (glycogen I believe)

Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
    The liver breaks down fat stores, and turns them into usable energy (glycogen I believe)
    I thought the liver only broke down fat upon entering the body : /

@cyco85

that's the point, looking for more indepth ^.^"

Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    glycogen is stored energy not useable, glucose would be the usable form

jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmoutlaw is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Supplements:

ON 100% Whey Gold Standard Protein
    ON Casein Protein
    ON Opti-Men Multi-vitamin
    ON Fish Oil
    ON Micronized Creatine (cycled)
    ON AminoEnergy (cycled)

Starting Weight: 198 LBS (FAT)
    Goal Weight: 175 LBS <-----Reached
    Goal Weight: 165 LBS <----- Reached
    Goal Weight: 150 LBS<-----Reached
    Goal Weight: 165 LBS (LEAN)

"No regrets! Only you dwell on your failures" -- Jamie Eason

ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ec2690 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

It occurs through a process called glycogenolysis where glycogen (stored fat reserves) are broken down in the liver to a form that is usable to the body, glucose. When you are eating in a deficit you aren't supplying your body with all the energy it needs so it has to resort to it's reserves for energy, thereby using the stored glycogen and thereby causing you to lose fat.

Look up glycogenolysis if you want more details, but this is the jist of it.

thanks for the help guys

Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000)
    This link seems to give a relatively simple explanation.

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/D...Oxidation.html

From the above link:
    The process by which stored fats become energy sources begins with how fat is released from the adipose tissue. Fats are digested through conversion into free fatty acids, which are stored in a form known as triglycerides in the adipose tissue. Various hormones will trigger the release of the triglycerides from adipose tissue. These triglycerides, through the process known as lipolysis (a breakdown of the stored fats), are reduced to two distinct components: glycerol, (which is processed by the liver for further use), and fatty acids (which are released into the bloodstream). The fatty acids are transported to the mitochondria, the portion of a cell that produces power within each cell. The transport of the fatty acids to the mitochondria is facilitated by the enzyme carnitine, a transport mechanism that is found in food sources such as red meats and poultry. The mitochondria are also a storehouse for deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), as well as the enzymes necessary to permit ongoing cellular construction. In the mitochondria, the fatty acids are oxidized in the process that creates adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy-producing fuel.
    Once in the mitochondria fats go through many steps to be fully utilized for energy. The end product is CO2 which is released in the breath.

MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ec2690 View Post
    It occurs through a process called glycogenolysis where glycogen (stored fat reserves) are broken down in the liver to a form that is usable to the body, glucose. When you are eating in a deficit you aren't supplying your body with all the energy it needs so it has to resort to it's reserves for energy, thereby using the stored glycogen and thereby causing you to lose fat.

Look up glycogenolysis if you want more details, but this is the jist of it.
    Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post
    This link seems to give a relatively simple explanation.

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/D...Oxidation.html

From the above link:

Once in the mitochondria fats go through many steps to be fully utilized for energy. The end product is CO2 which is released in the breath.

^^^^These are all wrong

Op, I don't know the exact mechanism, but I can tell u why these are all wrong.

first of all, fat cannot be broken into carbohydrates, especially not glycogen (not glucose either, which I tink is what he meant t say)

2nd, glycogen is not bodyfat reserves. bodyfat is bodyfat. glycogen is glucose stored in the liver/muscles.

and finally, there is no oxygen in fat (except in the glycerol portion, which makes up almost none of the suable energy). fat is carbon hydrogen chains. it is releasd through co2 + water

Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MikeD4386 View Post
    ^^^^These are all wrong

Op, I don't know the exact mechanism, but I can tell u why these are all wrong.
    So how are you qualified to tell if those are all wrong if you don't know the process yourself?

first of all, fat cannot be broken into carbohydrates, especially not glycogen (not glucose either, which I tink is what he meant t say)

2nd, glycogen is not bodyfat reserves. bodyfat is bodyfat. glycogen is glucose stored in the liver/muscles.
    You are correct here

and finally, there is no oxygen in fat (except in the glycerol portion, which makes up almost none of the suable energy). fat is carbon hydrogen chains. it is releasd through co2 + water
    I'm not sure who this was in response too? No one has implied that fat has oxygen in it. Unless you are confused by the term 'fat oxidation'?

Perhaps you should look up the term and learn a little.
    Wikipedia is a good start (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_acid_metabolism) and has links to all the correct steps like beta-oxidation and the ETC.
    Fat in the body is indeed 'oxidised'. Which is one step in the process of becoming CO2. In fact how could it become CO2, if it was not oxidised at some point?

MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000) MikeD4386 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post
    So how are you qualified to tell if those are all wrong if you don't know the process yourself?

You are correct here

I'm not sure who this was in response too? No one has implied that fat has oxygen in it. Unless you are confused by the term 'fat oxidation'?

Perhaps you should look up the term and learn a little.
    Wikipedia is a good start (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatty_acid_metabolism) and has links to all the correct steps like beta-oxidation and the ETC.
    Fat in the body is indeed 'oxidised'. Which is one step in the process of becoming CO2. In fact how could it become CO2, if it was not oxidised at some point?
    I said don't know the full process in 100% detail, bt I know enough to know those are wrong.

As far as the last one I quoted, I know what oxidation means, my concern was that the poster said that fat is excreted from the body as C02, and I wanted to make the addition that it is also lost in material amounts through urinary output.