24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 Need Help? 1-866-236-8417

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stats: 5'9", 187 lbs
    stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit stobco's BodySpace

stobco's Journal

So here it is, my journal to record my workouts, nutrition, etc. Anything to do with getting in shape. Where to begin...

Skip this rest of this post if you just want to get to the workouts, etc.

Hit 202.5lbs (at 5'9") when I was 35 (now 41). I had always promised myself that if I hit 200lbs I would do something about it. I joined a crossfit gym and still struggled to lose the weight. Looked at my diet and it made the world of difference. At one point I was down to 165lbs. Problem was, I wasn't putting on any mass. Cardio wise, things were better but I just couldn't put on any mass. Looking back with what I know now, it was due to my eating. I was consuming to few calories and I didn't know anything about macros, etc. Stayed at crossfit for three years and I enjoyed it.

Then I moved from Montreal to Moncton and things got out of wack. I switched crossfit for squash and ball hockey as I didn't want to pay the high crossfit fees any more. Thing is, I gained all my weight back. Four years later and back where I started, just under 200lbs.

I've just recently moved from Moncton to Conrwall and weighed in at 197lbs. 6 weeks later eating a calorie reduced diet I'm at 187lbs. I've decided to start lifting as that was my favourite part of crossfit. I loved the heavy lifts when we had them, especially deadlifts. Something about it being a pure strength move. I love standing there looking at the bar and having a mental battle with it.

So here I am, reading as much as I can and trying to take it all in. I've decided to start off with StrongLifts. Below is my progress.

Join in and see me succeed, fail, and then get revenge.
    Last edited by stobco; 07-22-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    Squat = ??? (don't remember what my max 1 rep is)
    Bench Press = ??? (don't remember what my max 1 rep is)
    Deadlift = 415lbs (it was ugly, but I was proud of it!)

stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50) stobco will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 1

Walked in the gym and took a look around. Did about 30 seconds of jump rope and realized how out of shape I am.

Walked over to the squat rack and got going.

Squats
    5 x 115
    5 x 115
    5 x 115
    5 x 115
    5 x 115
    Did more than the recommended starting weight as I've always been able to lift heavier relative to other "upper body" workouts.

Bench Press
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    Kept the weight low as I've always struggled with the bench press. With the idea being to add 5lbs per workout I don't want to struggle early on so might as well start low and work up from there.

Barbell Row
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    5 x 65
    Started low with these as well, in part for the same reasons as the bench press and also wanted to ensure form is good. I've done these before but not too often, so I want to make sure I'm doing them correctly. I might ask the owner/trainer to look at my form next time and see what he has to say.

Decent workout, but boy did it go by fast! I was in and out in 35 minutes. I kept the rest time to 45 seconds between sets and wham, next thing I know I was ready to leave. I'm sure when things get heavier it'll struggle to keep the rest time to 45 seconds.
    Last edited by stobco; 07-22-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Stats: 6'3", 248 lbs
    BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit BluesPreacher's BodySpace
    Welcome!

There's a lot of knowledge, wisdom and support here.

Good luck!

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 2

Rest day, and my legs feel it s bit that's for sure. I spend a decent amount of time walking at work, and it was tough to get out of my chair and walk around because I knew the hurt was coming. No real pain anywhere else but I pretty much figured that would be the case. 65lbs on bench and barbel rows wasn't enough, but I had to think about form and the fact that I would be adding 5lbs/workout. It could get heavy for me pretty fast.

Still figuring out the cal & macro stuff. I think I have my numbers set, and now have to play around and figure out how to get what I need.
    Last edited by stobco; 07-22-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Stats: 6'5", 233 lbs
    shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit shaneinga's BodySpace
    Yep, things will get heavier soon. 5 x 5's always start light, and they will quickly get heavy. This is a good time to work on form and get that all sorted while the weights are light.

Good luck man!
    My workout Log : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165343111

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 3

Walked in and was pumped about doing deadlifts, my favourite. I ended up messing them up, kinda. More on that down below.

Squats
    5 x 120
    5 x 120
    5 x 120
    5 x 120
    5 x 120
    Legs still hurt from two days ago, but the hurt ran away once I started to squat. Weight still seems light, or at least that what I'm telling myself. That being said, I hesitated at the bottom of my very last rep. Had the tiniest bit if trouble coming back up. Real tiny, itty-bitty, but it was there. So maybe I'm not as strong in the squat as I think I am. Or should I keep telling myself I am? Either way, I'm focusing on form.

Overhead Press
    5 x 45
    5 x 45
    5 x 45
    5 x 45
    5 x 45
    Went light on these since I have a nagging shoulder issue ever since I separated it years ago. Also, upper body for me = weak. Add 5lbs/occurance on this? Ouch, could be a tough one.

DEADLIFT!!!
    1 x 225
    1 x 225
    1 x 225
    1 x 225
    1 x 225
    I was so looking forward to this, that I messed them up. It was supposed to be one set of 5 reps. Brain fart I guess since I ended up doing 5 sets for 1 rep each. Weight felt easy so I worked on form. I'm still going to ask the owner/trainer next time to take a look at me to make sure my form is good. Messed up my back once real bad when I didn't know what I was doing with deadlifts, don't want to revisit that again.

Enjoyed this workout, energy level was good. Was out of the gym in 30 minutes. Again, feels too fast, but with heavier weights will come longer workouts. I'm kinda enjoying the quick workouts right now. I'm not one to stand around and talk to others in the gym, or stare, etc. I like to get in, concentrate, lift, and get out.

Looking forward to seeing how my legs feel tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to Thursday's workout.
    Last edited by stobco; 07-22-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Spelling

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    Welcome!

There's a lot of knowledge, wisdom and support here.

Good luck!
    Thanks. There's so much knowledge and wisdom here it's hard to know where to start and what to read.

Glad I'm in the 35+ group, if I was younger I might have ended up on the "other" boards where some of the advice, even to a new guy like me, is crappy.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    Yep, things will get heavier soon. 5 x 5's always start light, and they will quickly get heavy. This is a good time to work on form and get that all sorted while the weights are light.

Good luck man!
    Yeah, I have to keep that in mind. I might have started too heavy on the squats seeing as they're done every workout and adding 5lbs per could make it heavy quick. Oh well, I'll have to tell my body to suck it up and deal with it!

shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) shaneinga is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice couple of workouts. The thing to fix squat doms, is more squats.

I think with your macros I would run your protein around 1 gram per pound and your fats at .4 grams per pound and let the carbs fall where they fall. That should be a good place to start anyway.

You still got your 5 reps on deads, so no big deal there. Just watch later on and make sure you reset after each lift. Touch n go on deads for reps is typically not recommended. Lift heavy weight, put heavy weight down, lift it again, repeat.

I had some shoulder issues and I found this little warm up to work wonders to help get all the areas of the shoulders warm and "greased up." I do it once a week on my a non lifting day, but I imagine you could do it anytime you wanted.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Nice couple of workouts. The thing to fix squat doms, is more squats.

I think with your macros I would run your protein around 1 gram per pound and your fats at .4 grams per pound and let the carbs fall where they fall. That should be a good place to start anyway.

You still got your 5 reps on deads, so no big deal there. Just watch later on and make sure you reset after each lift. Touch n go on deads for reps is typically not recommended. Lift heavy weight, put heavy weight down, lift it again, repeat.

I had some shoulder issues and I found this little warm up to work wonders to help get all the areas of the shoulders warm and "greased up." I do it once a week on my a non lifting day, but I imagine you could do it anytime you wanted.
    So what you're saying regarding deads is it's best to lift, put down, a quick 2-5 second reset, lift, put down, etc.

Thanks for the video, much appreciated. I'll start doing these at least once per week and hopefully it'll help my weaker right shoulder.

I think I figured out my cal and marco requirements:

Calories = 2,437
    Carbs = 211
    Protein = 187
    Fat = 93

Used 1percentedge.com to get the numbers. Your suggestion of .4g/lbs @ 187lbs would be 75g of fat. Thoughts?

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 4

Off day today. Still trying to figure out the best way to hit my target cals & macros. Took in too much fat and not enough protein. Supposed to get 183g protein & 95 fat. Took in 145g & 115g instead. It'll take some practice until I get it right.

On a good note, squat doms aren't too bad. I do feel some upper back muscle feedback, I'm guessing it's from the overhead presses.

ElrondHubbard made a comment in my other post about stretching. Stretching... what's that? Seriously, I need to do it. I didn't even think about it when I walked in, I was just eager to lift. Will have to make it mandatory to stretch before and after workouts.

Looking forward to tomorrows workout. Off to make some food for the rest of the day for work!

I think if you can fit in fats in your calorie needs by dropping out carbs that is up to you. I honestly have a hard time getting my fats in, I usually end up eating peanut butter, or an avocado, or some almonds to get mine in at the end of the day. As long as you are getting at least 75 I think you should be good to go. Some people run even lower and use .35 grams.

Easy protein for me is greek yogurt, of course the standard meats, chicken, pork, lean red meats and fish, and then the good old whey protein shakes.

I will throw another video out for you to in regards to stretching.

I also like to hit the stationary bike for 10 minutes to get my legs and knees warmed up before I go squat, but my knees are crap.

Keep the GOAL the GOAL mirroroferised's Avatar
    Stats: 5'9", 183 lbs
    mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mirroroferised is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit mirroroferised's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by stobco View Post
    Thanks. There's so much knowledge and wisdom here it's hard to know where to start and what to read.
    IMO you can't go wrong with just reading the journals around here. I've learned so much in the last couple of years from all of the experienced guys in here. Good luck!
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167902791

So what you're saying regarding deads is it's best to lift, put down, a quick 2-5 second reset, lift, put down, etc.

Thanks for the video, much appreciated. I'll start doing these at least once per week and hopefully it'll help my weaker right shoulder.

I think I figured out my cal and marco requirements:

Calories = 2,437
    Carbs = 211
    Protein = 187
    Fat = 93

Used 1percentedge.com to get the numbers. Your suggestion of .4g/lbs @ 187lbs would be 75g of fat. Thoughts?
    Also, you don't need to rest of 2 to 5 seconds, the goal is to just reset the weight on the floor so you are pulling from a dead stop.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 5

Felt real strong when I woke up and got to the gym. So much so I wanted to slap on 4 plates and squat. Whoa fat guy, let's settle down before we do something we regret...

I wonder if my feeling so good/strong had anything to do with hitting my cal/macro numbers yesterday? THey were real close and I was pretty proud of myself.

Once I got over the Superman syndrome, I decided to do some stretches which lasted a whole five minutes. It was better than zero minutes which is what I did in previous workouts. Done, now to the lifts.

Squats
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 125
    5 x 125
    5 x 125
    5 x 125
    5 x 125

Felt easy. Kept them slow and in proper form. So wanted to try one rep at heavier weight to see what I could do, but I was able to talk myself out of it.

Bench Press
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 70
    5 x 70
    5 x 70
    5 x 70
    5 x 70

Still real light, but I know I'm weak on the bench press and it'll be heavy soon enough.

Barbell Row
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 70
    5 x 70
    5 x 70
    5 x 70
    5 x 70

Same as above. I really took my time with these reps as I wanted to make sure the form was proper. I asked the owner/trainer after my workout if he could explain the barbell row form to me. He said it would take longer than a quick conversation and to look for him before my next workout. Fair enough, will do.

Finished the workout with another five minutes of stretching. My strong feeling continued throughout the workout and into the rest of the day. I loved it.

Nutrition
    Hit my cals/maros for the day, but I'm finding it hard to get that much food in, especially for protein. I'm guessing that's why protein shakes come in so handy?

Stats: 5'6", 174 lbs
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit fittofattofit's BodySpace
    Good luck with your programme. It's great to see that you stuck with CrossFit for 3 years ... you would have a real grounding in proper lift techniques and would have been very fit when you stopped. Nice to have had a 415 DL so you've got a good strength background.
    Good to see that you're starting off light and planning to build back into it but keeping the form tight
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Jane Fonda helped me to rediscover my core. ..... thanks for that Ken :rolleyes:

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    I think if you can fit in fats in your calorie needs by dropping out carbs that is up to you. I honestly have a hard time getting my fats in, I usually end up eating peanut butter, or an avocado, or some almonds to get mine in at the end of the day. As long as you are getting at least 75 I think you should be good to go. Some people run even lower and use .35 grams.

Easy protein for me is greek yogurt, of course the standard meats, chicken, pork, lean red meats and fish, and then the good old whey protein shakes.

I will throw another video out for you to in regards to stretching.

I also like to hit the stationary bike for 10 minutes to get my legs and knees warmed up before I go squat, but my knees are crap.
    Thanks for the second video, much appreciated.

Right now, my staple protein is cottage cheese and meets. Not so different from you I guess. I just need to work things out until it becomes easier to make sense.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    IMO you can't go wrong with just reading the journals around here. I've learned so much in the last couple of years from all of the experienced guys in here. Good luck!
    Yeah, I started subscribing to some of the workout journals that look interesting. Like you said, seems like a great place to learn from.

Also, you don't need to rest of 2 to 5 seconds, the goal is to just reset the weight on the floor so you are pulling from a dead stop.
    Ok, just a quick pause to ensure I'm not pulling off the bounce.

Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    Good luck with your programme. It's great to see that you stuck with CrossFit for 3 years ... you would have a real grounding in proper lift techniques and would have been very fit when you stopped. Nice to have had a 415 DL so you've got a good strength background.
    Good to see that you're starting off light and planning to build back into it but keeping the form tight
    Really enjoyed all the Olympic lifts I learnt while Crossfitting. I thought about going back to Crossfit but when I stopped and thought about it, my favourite parts was the lifting. So why not focus on the part I really enjoyed instead of doing a bunch of stuff that I wasn't so keen on?

Yeah, I can remember that 415 DL like it was yesterday. It felt so good. I wish I had it on video. I know it was ugly but it would have been good to have.

I'm so tempted to lift much heavier because I know I can, especially anything using legs. But I've also over-lifted a few times and paid dearly for it. I remember having a big meeting and having super back pains that I could only walk bent over, and I mean really bent over. Hard to stand up in front of everyone and make my presentation. Took me out of my workouts for a few weeks. I'm going to do what I can to stay away from that again.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 6

Day off. Supposed to go again on Day 8, but I'm going to delay it to Day 9. I thought Sun-Tue-Thu would work, but I now realize Mon-Wed-Fri is a better fit.

Muscles definitely feel better than they did at the beginning of the week. Doms not bad at all. Some small aches, but nothing unbearable. I keep telling myself "It's proof I can lift heavier!", but my mind keeps telling me "It will come..."

Food was bad today. Wife was in town and we were house shopping. Had to eat on the road and quickly and made bad decisions. I did my best to put what I ate into MFP, but who knows if it's accurate. All I know is I'm 99% positive I went over cals and macros were no where close to where they should be; carbs and fat way up, protein low

Have another day with the family tomorrow on the road. I'll have to think before I open my mouth and eat.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 7 & 8

Another two days out of the gym and on the road looking for houses, etc. Tried to eat better while driving around. Did better of cals, but still missed on protein and went over on fat. At least I'm getting a better understanding on how it "works".

Day 8 was supposed t be my lifting day, but I'm moving it back a day to fit into my schedule better going forward.

No real pain these two days. Feel pretty good actually.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 9

Back to the gym after three days off. I was hoping to be full of energy, but that was wishful thinking. U work 2:30pm - 11:30pm and usually lift around 11:00am, but today I had some appointments at 9:30am to see houses for a few hours. No problem, I'll get up a little earlier and hit the gym before I meet up with the wife and go house hunting. If I go to bed at 12:30am I could get up at 7:00am and still have 6.5 hours of sleep. Not ideal but doable.

Thing is, we had an fire alarm go off at work and we had to keep everyone on site until it was resolved. I ended up getting to bed at around 1:30am. I set the alarm for 7:00am and when it went off, I hit snooze. Went off again and hit snooze once more. I was lying there thinking "I'll just push my workout day until tomorrow, no big deal". Then I thought, "I'm wasting my time thinking about it when I could be up and doing it."

So I got up and hit the gym just like I should have.

Squats
    5 x 45 - Warm Up
    5 x 135
    5 x 135
    5 x 135
    5 x 135
    5 x 135

Still easy to lift, but I felt tired due to lack of sleep and probably also due to there being lots on my mind these days.

Overhead Press
    5 x 50
    5 x 50
    5 x 50
    5 x 50
    5 x 50

No warm up because, what would I warm up with? 20lbs? Still easy, but I'm not going to jump the gun on this as I know it'll get heavy soon enough.

Deadlifts
    5 x 135 - Warm Up
    5 x 235

Not sure if the warm-up reps were too high, or if it was due to being tired, but the 235 seemed heavier than it should have. Form wasn't bang on, not terrible but it could have been better.

Nutrition

Hit the cal target, but once again fell short on protein and took in more fat than I wanted. Since I've started keeping track of cals & marcos I'm amazed how much fat I take in. I always thought I was keeping that in check but I guess I was lying to myself.

I think part of the problem of not getting my protein is the lack of beef, chicken, port, fish lately. Will make it a point to eat more going forward. Might have to buy some protein powder for the occasional shake to hit the required protein levels.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 10

Lifting
    Day off, back at it tomorrow. Feel good. no pain other than some light "muscle development".

Nutrition
    Finally hit my protein requirements of 187g. In order to do that, I had to stuff it in at the end of the day. I work 2:30pm - 11:30pm. Got home and had a big meal at 12:30pm to hit the number. Fats were a bit high, but at least I got the protein. Carbs were lower than usual, but I didn't feel sluggish at all.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 11

Lifting
    Was glad to be back at the gym. Felt good and is translated into a nice workout.

Squats
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 140
    5 x 140
    5 x 140
    5 x 140
    5 x 140

This weight range was feeling too easy, so I made it a point to keep the rest between sets to 45 second. That seemed to make a difference, especially the last two sets. They weren't hard, but I noticed a small difference.

Bench Press
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75

Still simple, so I tried to make it more difficult by going slow on the way down; 2-3 seconds. Made a difference.

Barbell Row
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75

Working on form on these as it's not a familiar lift to me. I've watched videos and I think I'm doing pretty good with them. I feel it most across the back between the shoulders, so I thin that's good right?

Nutrition

Cals = 2,598 (160 over)
    Carbs = 218g (32%)
    Fat = 91g (30%)
    Protein = 253 (37%)

Seeing as I'm trying to hit 35-35-30, I was a bit off in the fat & protein. Can't be a bad thing to take in a little more protein at the expense of fat right?

Day 11

Lifting
    Was glad to be back at the gym. Felt good and is translated into a nice workout.

Squats
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 140
    5 x 140
    5 x 140
    5 x 140
    5 x 140

This weight range was feeling too easy, so I made it a point to keep the rest between sets to 45 second. That seemed to make a difference, especially the last two sets. They weren't hard, but I noticed a small difference.

Bench Press
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75

Still simple, so I tried to make it more difficult by going slow on the way down; 2-3 seconds. Made a difference.

Barbell Row
    5 x 45 - Warm up
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75
    5 x 75

Working on form on these as it's not a familiar lift to me. I've watched videos and I think I'm doing pretty good with them. I feel it most across the back between the shoulders, so I thin that's good right?

Nutrition

Cals = 2,598 (160 over)
    Carbs = 218g (32%)
    Fat = 91g (30%)
    Protein = 253 (37%)

Seeing as I'm trying to hit 35-35-30, I was a bit off in the fat & protein. Can't be a bad thing to take in a little more protein at the expense of fat right?
    Typically you want to rob from carbs, but you are still well within your daily minimum so you are good to go there man.

Nice workout today!

Stats: 6'3", 248 lbs
    BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50) BluesPreacher will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit BluesPreacher's BodySpace
    Good job today!!

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Typically you want to rob from carbs, but you are still well within your daily minimum so you are good to go there man.
    Yeah, it's been tough for me to keep the fat counts to where they should be.

Nice workout today!
    Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    Good job today!!
    Thanks guys! Truth is, this workout was done a couple of days earlier. I try to get my posts up at the end of the day but it doesn't always workout that way. I want to make sure I put every day in this journal, so I still put them in a day or two afterwards.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 12

Lifting
    Rest day. Muscles feel a bit sore, but it feels more like a development soreness instead of "new lifting" soreness if that makes sense.

Nutrition
    Cals = 2,504 (66 over)
    Carbs = 260g (41%)
    Fat = 91g (32%)
    Protein = 178 (28%)

Heavy on the carbs at the expense of protein. So, can someone tell me how much lee-way I have either way?

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 13

Back to the gym after my off day. It was also my day off work so I went later than I usually do. That was a mistake since I couldn't get into the deadlift area. More on that in the deadlift section.

I had energy and was looking forward to good lifts today.

Lifting

Squats
    5 x 45 - Warm Up
    5 x 145
    5 x 145
    5 x 145
    5 x 145
    5 x 145
    5 x 145???

Kept the rest between sets to 45 seconds and it felt good. Weight still on the easy side but I'm starting to feel the need to give it a bit extra on rep 4 & 5 on sets 4 & 5. Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes lose track of what set I'm on. Apparently I have a hard time keeping track of counting to 5. I'm always thinking of form, how my muscles feel, etc between sets that I sometimes forget where I'm at. I did it again and didn't know if I was on set 4 or 5, so I added another set just in case.

Overhead Press
    5 x 55
    5 x 55
    5 x 55
    5 x 55
    5 x 55

No warm-up, jumped right in and loved how it felt. Pushing up at a good pace, lowering slower seems to help. I felt the shoulders through-out the day and it felt great. Looking forward to heavier weight.

Deadlifts
    5 x 155 - Warm Up
    5 x 265

So, during the overhead presses a guy walked into the deadlift area started his lifts. I watched as he did a lift, then walked around and talked to another guy. Did another lift, etc. He was taking his time. Once I was ready to do deadlifts I asked him how long he would be and he said he was only in the warm-up phase. That left me little choice but to go over to the platform and do my deadlifts there. Not familiar with this area and I've yet the see anyone use it. Also, the weights are Eleiko and in kilos which I wasn't prepared for. I don't like to stand around in the gym so I threw on two 25kg plates and did my warm up, instead of trying to figure out where everything is in that area. I threw on two more 25kg plates and did my 5 reps. I remember not being too happy with my form the last time around with 235lbs. I focused on my form and it worked like a charm. The 5 reps were smooth and no discomfort in my lower back. I didn't calculate the weight in pounds until I got home and I was pleased to see it was 265lbs, 30lbs over my least outing and it felt better.

I also wonder if it had something to do with wearing my five fingers instead of my Nikes. I finally dug out my five fingers as there was a thread hear recently about what shoes people wear when lifting. That thread reminded me I preferred the flat bottom of my five fingers when I was lifting a few years ago. I think the solid base helped a little with stability.

Nutrition
    Still having a hard time staying below the cal count. Got hundry late at night and had some treats...

Targets
    Cals = 2,438
    Carbs = 35%
    Fat = 35%
    Protein = 30%

Actual Numbers
    Cals = 2,677
    Carbs = 32%
    Fat = 39%
    Protein = 29%

Next two days are off days, and I plan on using one of those days as a treat day, I just have to make sure I don't go over board.

Nice workout Stobco. As far as carbs and protein, as long as you are getting a gram per LBM on protein you should be good to go. I personally like more protein at the expense of some carbs, but I am just about always over 200 grams of carbs a day. I maintain at around 3000 cals though.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Nice workout Stobco. As far as carbs and protein, as long as you are getting a gram per LBM on protein you should be good to go. I personally like more protein at the expense of some carbs, but I am just about always over 200 grams of carbs a day. I maintain at around 3000 cals though.
    Well, I doubt I got enough protein during my two days. To be honest, I have a hard time getting to the 187g of protein daily. I'm thinking I might buy some protein mix, but I'm hesitant as I'd rather get my protein from real food.

I'm going to have to start eating more meats.

Visit stobco's BodySpace
    Day 14 & 15 - Aug. 1st & 2nd

End of the week and my two days off in a row. I knew eating would be an issue as I had family in town and I knew we'd be eating out a few times.

I tried to keep track of my meals, but eating out had me confused. I know I went over my cal number, and I doubt I hit my protein numbers, but it is what it is.

How do people keep track when eating out? I guess after a while the experience kicks in and you can kinda figure it out, right?

I'll buckle down at the beginning of the week and keep my appetite in check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast