Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Can I train MMA at home?

Right now I'm a college student home for the summer and don't have enough money to take an MMA class. I have a home gym, a punching bag, and a speed bag. Are there any workouts or training programs I can do from home?

I know obviously it won't be the same or as getting first hand experience, and taught by somebody, but I can't afford anything right now - definitely will in the future. Any ideas?

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Without real training, you will basically only be able to train your body and not technique. Id work on getting strong, fast, etc. Work on sprawling and all the basic ground work. Im sure you can find some online by googling Jiu Jitsu drills or Wrestling drills.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000) hiimzac is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Wife Beater View Post
    Right now I'm a college student home for the summer and don't have enough money to take an MMA class. I have a home gym, a punching bag, and a speed bag. Are there any workouts or training programs I can do from home?

I know obviously it won't be the same or as getting first hand experience, and taught by somebody, but I can't afford anything right now - definitely will in the future. Any ideas?
    I'd advise you to not, under ANY circumstances, try to learn a combat sport (or any sport, for that matter) on your own. Even finding a proper coach who actually knows what he is talking about is hard enough. Learning technique by yourself from videos or books is damn near impossible and will actually harm you if you start to go to real classes later - you'll have to unlearn things, and unlearning things ingrained in your muscle memory is a real b*tch.

But, like the other guy said - you CAN prepare your body and come into classes in great shape. It's hard for your body to learn when you're fatigued, so the longer you can last without getting tired, the quicker you'll progress.

I'd recommend:

Work on high repetition body weight exercises. All sorts of different variations of push-ups and pull-ups and sit-ups and squats; plyometrics and isometric holds are great too. LOTS of stretching and yoga (yes, yoga - balance and a sense of self are extremely important in dat dere MMA). You want to be able to manipulate your own body weight effortlessly (something most people really cannot do to any degree at all).

Look up gymnastic body weight exercises as well; planche's and working up to 90 degree push-ups, that sort of thing.

Run for distance and run intervals on stairs or hills.

Work on training through fatigue - find ways to quickly build up lactic acid in your shoulders and legs and then force yourself to keep working. You have no idea how heavy 16 ounces feels until you're almost done with your first round of sparring

Good luck man. Combat sports are the best in the world, but you have to take them seriously. You play baseball or football or basketball - you don't play boxing or muay Thai.

vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vasyafomichev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hiimzac View Post
    Combat sports are the best in the world, but you have to take them seriously. You play baseball or football or basketball - you don't play boxing or muay Thai.
    Well said! I would also suggest you to work on your explosiveness!

For instance, take a simple bench press. Instead of lifting it gradually with a purpose of just lifting it, do an explosive push, as if you were trying to throw it up in the air. Do not decrease your weight, just change the lifting approach.
    Vasiliy Fomichev
    Bison Strength Equipment, LLC
    http://www.bisonstrength.com
    Forearm Strength Training Equipment
    ---------------------------------------------
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply! Willing is not enough, we must do!" Goethe

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wife beater: yo maybe able to work a deal with one of the local studios, see if you can trade cleaning the studio or working the counter inachange for leasons. Himacz is correct you don't want to learn bad habits that you have to fix latter.

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd do a program like 5/3/1 if you have access to weights and for your aux lifts do various bodyweight exercises.

Check out stuff like The Naked Warrior and books like that to help you increase your bodyweight strength.

Weight strength doesn't really come into play when it comes to fighting. It comes down to your technique and how well you can use your bodystrength.
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is absolutely nothing that can prepare you.

Sure you can work on cardio and stuff but with any combat sport its a whole differetn ballgame when someone punches you in the face

secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Improving your punching speed (punching bag), getting stronger and bigger overall, and making yourself more aggressive will all aid you in a fight... Being bigger and stronger will make you more intimidating and the other guy can soften up in some cases. As well, more strength = easier time fighting.

Better punching is an obvious bonus, and being aggressive is the most important of the things I mentioned.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    how does being bigger in a sport organized by weight classes help you? You just end up fighting other people your size.

Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Wife Beater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    how does being bigger in a sport organized by weight classes help you? You just end up fighting other people your size.
    I'm not trying to join MMA leagues or anything. I just want to know it, and be prepared if I am to be in a street fight.

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by secretlifter3 View Post
    Improving your punching speed (punching bag), getting stronger and bigger overall, and making yourself more aggressive will all aid you in a fight... Being bigger and stronger will make you more intimidating and the other guy can soften up in some cases. As well, more strength = easier time fighting.

Better punching is an obvious bonus, and being aggressive is the most important of the things I mentioned.
    No, no, no, no, and no.

If he doesn't have proper technique, he won't punch properly. You can't just walk up to a bag and punch randomly, it doesn't work like that.

Weight room training doesn't transfer over to fighting. Fighting is all technique.

You don't need to be aggressive, that can get you screwed. Look at Lyoto Machida, most of his fights he waits for counter attacks or for the opponent to make a mistake.

You need to be a smart fighter, just running at a guy and throwing punches can get you screwed pretty fast, especially if the other guy knows what he's doing.

REPS for SUBS.

is in love with Tom Platz DaveBriggs's Avatar
    Location: shropshire, england, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wanttolearn to fight mma?

join a boxing club, then a wrestling club, then a martial arts club, the a ju jitsu club etc etc

mma is the highest level of fighting, if you don't have any real fight skills and experience so far then your in for an uphill battle. most lads who go into mma have been competing in bouts in tere chosen fighting art since they were little and train relentlessly. these lads destroy noobs as if they were made from paper.

go to a boxing club and spar a few rounds. i assure you having someone coming at you hurting you relentlessly while you cannot even land a single shot in return is a very unique experience.

if you want to do it as a hobby cool, but stay the hell away from competition unlessyour ready to dedicate your life to it brah

real talk!!
    Natural Physique Ascossiation South East Britain lightweight champion

NPA Mike Williams Classic 3rd place Novice and Best First timer of tournament
    NPA National Finals 5th place Novice
    NPA Midlands Lightweight 2nd - best poser award
    NPA South East Lightweight Champion
    UKDFBA (british INBF arm) Bantams 4th
    NPA Mike Williams Classic Lightweight 2nd
    Natural Physique Assocciation British Finals - 5th

http://www.unleashedbeasts.com/beasts/david-briggs-talks-to-us/

MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah I do sport JJ and Judo(grappling) it is of course very different from MMA because of the rules and there is no striking and such but we still have to be conditioned. I HIGHLY suggest to go to an actual place to train as you will then properly know how to perform movements and such that you cannot simply find online. The ONLY place if your desperate to learn online would be from the official online Gracie academy as they will still test you etc and drill the basics.

Muscle size isn't everything, you'd be surprised how strong some of us are from never lifting weights and just doing bodyweight/suspension training exercises alone. But from home you can work on your endurance, speed and, explosiveness.

TimHendrix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Wife Beater View Post

No.....you can't....if u really want to be a fighter you will find a way to come up with the $75 a month to train at a good Jiu Jitsu school. If it's not important enough for you to train at a good school....then you will just get hurt....and give the sport a bad name.

Originally Posted by secretlifter3 View Post

If you don't know how to punch a punching bag....you're just wasting your time

Originally Posted by DaveBriggs View Post
    wanttolearn to fight mma?

join a boxing club, then a wrestling club, then a martial arts club, the a ju jitsu club etc etc

mma is the highest level of fighting, if you don't have any real fight skills and experience so far then your in for an uphill battle. most lads who go into mma have been competing in bouts in tere chosen fighting art since they were little and train relentlessly. these lads destroy noobs as if they were made from paper.

go to a boxing club and spar a few rounds. i assure you having someone coming at you hurting you relentlessly while you cannot even land a single shot in return is a very unique experience.

if you want to do it as a hobby cool, but stay the hell away from competition unlessyour ready to dedicate your life to it brah

real talk!!
    He didn't say he was going to go into the Octagon or anything to fight. He was just wondering if he can learn at home since he can't afford to go to classes right now.

Calm down bro, it's the internet.

REPS for SUBS.

tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10) tedsheckler is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Definitely.

Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, GSP, Bas Rutten, Randy Couture and dozens of other fighters have DVDs out.

Rich Franklin got started in a shed in his backyard with training tapes.

Or there's always the Body Action System.

secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TimHendrix View Post
    If you don't know how to punch a punching bag....you're just wasting your time
    The goal is to train yourself neurally to improve punching speed/hand speed. That will be useful regardless of what you're going into.

BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000) BIGNHYOOGE is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you can if you have the right equipment and coaches
    Second by second, you lose the opportunity of becoming the person you want to be.

Originally Posted by tedsheckler View Post
    Definitely.

Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, GSP, Bas Rutten, Randy Couture and dozens of other fighters have DVDs out.

Rich Franklin got started in a shed in his backyard with training tapes.

Or there's always the Body Action System.

Rich Franklin also trained in that shed with a Black Belt in tae Kwon Doe and a 2 stripe blue belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu.....if you have the right people it doesn't matter where you train. But if you don't know ****....you can do all the running and heavy bag work you want....your still not learning anything....you also need sparring partners.....the only conditioning for fighting, is fighting

Sorry, I get a little aggrivated when I hear people talk about training for mma in a half ass way. Do you know how many fights contracts are lost because of it. I train with 3 BJJ black belts and 2 All American wrestlers....it's not cheap. Then when it comes time for a good fight and pay day, the promoter gives the contract to some hillbilly who trains in thier back yard. They can give that dude $100 and he's happy...even though the fight sucks and ends in 30 seconds.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can;t learnt o fight on your own or by simply watching youtube videos or googling BJJ. It just doesn't work that way. Experience is what matters.

However, one thing you can work on on your own that will help your ability to learn would be to work on your cardio and overall conditioning. People don't realize how hard fighting really is until they try to fight for the first time. So being well conditioned and having excellent core strength and stability will definitely help you get started faster.

Oh, and DEFINITELY DO NOT neglect your flexibility. Try throwing a decent kick without enough flexibility, and your feet will shoot out from under you making you look like an A**.