p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Weighted Dips / Pull ups? + Rep Questions

Hi guys, I just started to organize my workouts a bit and need some help. I'm new to the forum and working out in general.

Currently I have dips / pull ups in the routine I do but I was wondering if I should purchase a belt to add more weight to make the exercises more difficult?

I'm a pretty small dude and I can do about 15 pull ups with just body weight and around 40 Dips.

1. Should I add more weight to my body to make the exercises easier (And also less time consuming)

2. How many reps should I be aiming for to increase in strength / size? I do 12 for my curls , bench, squats, dips and pull ups but I have been hearing different numbers around the forum.

3. Nobody at my gym does weighted dips / pull ups ... am I going to look like a douche?

Thank you in advance!

csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) csfb36 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would for sure add some weight on there, there would be no point in just benching the bar right?I stick to the same rep scheme I do with my other exercises which is 3 sets of 5 atm. Also dont think you will look like a douche for doing something nobody else does if anything they will probably be impressed.

Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mojo021 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    1. Absolutely feel free to add weight. 15 pullups isnt too many but you can add weight to put your reps closer to 10.

2. 12 is fine, 8-10 may be better for you trying to put on mass... it really all depends on how your body responds. You can try to lift a little heavier w/ less reps and see how you like it.

3. People don't do it in the gym because they are afraid... mainly people avoid pullups like cancer. Adding weight is no different then putting another plate on your bench or squat. Do it and don't look back.

Registered User DukeMan91920110's Avatar
    DukeMan91920110 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. You won't look like a douche. People should be jealous seeing you add weight.

2. Yes add weights. Adding hanging weights and getting adjusted to that weight will make doing them without weight easy as cake. Don't add too much though. Add enough so that you can do about 10-12 dips and 6-8 pullups.

p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50) p4rad0x will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you guys for all the advice! It's time to start looking for a weight belt now =)

I'll probably add a bit of weight and see how much I can do sticking with 8 Max reps, does that seem reasonable for pull ups / dips?

Also, how should my strength building lifting scheme work? Lift 8 reps and work my way to 10 max? How do I know when to increase the weights?

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    whatever rep max you choose, once you reach it, then add some more weight. repeat ad infinitum.

chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by p4rad0x View Post
    Thank you guys for all the advice! It's time to start looking for a weight belt now =)

I'll probably add a bit of weight and see how much I can do sticking with 8 Max reps, does that seem reasonable for pull ups / dips?

Also, how should my strength building lifting scheme work? Lift 8 reps and work my way to 10 max? How do I know when to increase the weights?
    use a dip belt...love mine....I even do donkey calf raises with it

add more weight if it starts getting easy....don't overthink this too much

I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) I AM STRONG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You won't look like a douche. I'm the only one in the gym that does weighted dips and I use a 60 lb dumbell in between my feet because I don't feel like buying a belt. I've gotten complements from random people.

Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Definately add weight to the dips. I think your pull-up range is right where it should be, but I would work maybe every other workout (when you include pullups) with weight.
    "To get where you want to be, you have to train like you want to get there."

Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Maxwell1995 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi guys, I just started to organize my workouts a bit and need some help. I'm new to the forum and working out in general.

Currently I have dips / pull ups in the routine I do but I was wondering if I should purchase a belt to add more weight to make the exercises more difficult?

I'm a pretty small dude and I can do about 15 pull ups with just body weight and around 40 Dips.

1. Should I add more weight to my body to make the exercises easier (And also less time consuming)

2. How many reps should I be aiming for to increase in strength / size? I do 12 for my curls , bench, squats, dips and pull ups but I have been hearing different numbers around the forum.

3. Nobody at my gym does weighted dips / pull ups ... am I going to look like a douche?

Thank you in advance!
    1. Of course you should add weight. Don't be afraid to. It's just going to increase your gains and make you stronger.

2. I say anything between 8 and 15. Don't get too low and don't get too high. I personally used to do (before football started and I was still on a bodybuilding program) 3 sets of 12, 10, and 8. Saw pretty good gains.

3. No way man. You won't look like a douche. You'll look like the only guy who can do weighted pull ups. ^_^

4. I saw in another post of yours thanking everybody for the tips and how you were going to get an exercise belt. You don't need to wait until you get the belt. You can place a dumbbell or plate in between your feet and do pull ups like that, or you can put chains over your shoulders if you have any at your gym if you don't have the belt already. Good luck brah!

SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SgSpartan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you're looking for strength, I think it's best to got 3-5 sets of 5 reps. Heavier weight, lower reps.

As for going weighted on your pull-ups or not, it depends on your goal. For me, I aim to be able to do more pull-ups-that means endurance as well. For me, there is more purpose for me to keep doing BW pull-ups rather than to go weighted. However, if your aim is to just to build strength and muscle, then go weighted.

Try doing 3 sets of 5 reps, increasing the weight whenever you suceed in getting your 3x5.

As for the belt, you can try doing with a dumbbell in between your knees first. See if you like weighted pull-ups in your routine. If so, go ahead and invest in a belt. Otherwise, you might want to wait. After 3 months of weighted pull-ups in my routine, I removed them. I wanted to be able to do more pull-ups, so endurance was necessary as well.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Maxwell1995 View Post
    1. Of course you should add weight. Don't be afraid to. It's just going to increase your gains and make you stronger.

2. I say anything between 8 and 15. Don't get too low and don't get too high. I personally used to do (before football started and I was still on a bodybuilding program) 3 sets of 12, 10, and 8. Saw pretty good gains.

3. No way man. You won't look like a douche. You'll look like the only guy who can do weighted pull ups. ^_^

4. I saw in another post of yours thanking everybody for the tips and how you were going to get an exercise belt. You don't need to wait until you get the belt. You can place a dumbbell or plate in between your feet and do pull ups like that, or you can put chains over your shoulders if you have any at your gym if you don't have the belt already. Good luck brah!
    Excellent post, amongst others.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I was wondering if I should purchase a belt to add more weight to make the exercises more difficult? I'm a pretty small dude and I can do about 15 pull ups with just body weight and around 40 Dips.

I am confused here. I understand that it would be less time consuming to do fewer reps with added weight, but when you say 'make them easier' do you mean only in this regard or in some other regard? It confuses me since you describe more weight as making them simultaneously more difficult and easier...

Thank you guys for all the advice. I tried using a DB between my feet for my pull ups and they worked great, I will see how they work in my routine for a couple of weeks.

I tried doing dips with a DB but it kept falling out of place / felt weird, but I will try it again tomorrow and see how it works out.

As for "making them easier" I actually meant the same thing as making them less time consuming, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you guys for the bundle of answers again, really appreciate it.

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

1. Should I add more weight

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves…" - Dao de Ching

The biggest secret in life is not that we go through life discovering ourselves but that we go through life creating our selves. Think about that.

guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) guest89 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP I'd add weight to both of them. I'd add enough weight to get in the 5 rep range, then every workout increase by 1 rep. Once you get a satisfactory number of reps, up the weight and drop back down to the 5 reps, work your way back up. Building both endurance and strength.

Registered User blazing_hellion's Avatar
    blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazing_hellion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No, you'll look like a BAMF!
    "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender!"

"A lesson without pain is meaningless. For you cannot gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But once you have overcome it and made it your own... You will posses a irreplaceable Full-metal heart." -Full Metal Alchemist

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you guys for all the advice. I tried using a DB between my feet for my pull ups and they worked great, I will see how they work in my routine for a couple of weeks.

I tried doing dips with a DB but it kept falling out of place / felt weird, but I will try it again tomorrow and see how it works out.

As for "making them easier" I actually meant the same thing as making them less time consuming, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you guys for the bundle of answers again, really appreciate it.
    When you use a DB, cross your feet, and rest the DB in the "nook" of your ankles. If the knurling on the db handle is too rough and rubs your skin raw, wrap your gym towel around it, as padding. I've held up to like 50 or 60lb dbs with no discomfort that way.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    When you use a DB, cross your feet, and rest the DB in the "nook" of your ankles. If the knurling on the db handle is too rough and rubs your skin raw, wrap your gym towel around it, as padding. I've held up to like 50 or 60lb dbs with no discomfort that way.
    On the way to the gym now and will definitely try this, thanks!

TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10) TLDR_Tuna is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Does your gym not have a dip belt?

I work out at a planet fitness and even they have one!

but i do 3x8 weighted dips and i feel like this is a great number for me. weight for dips is an awesome feeling.

The gym I go to is full of older women who usually spend most of their time chatting and eating snacks. Only 1-2 other people who use the limited free weights that they have, so not a lot of options for me :/

That being said, at the gym now using the wifi because I forgot to bring my gym shorts and shoes. Epic fail.