Thread: Shoulder injury

kinghandle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Shoulder injury

hey guys... i have recently went to the doc and she gave me some bad news.. somehow i had pulled my "rotary muscle" (not sure what's the official name of it, hopefully you guys know what i am talking about..) under my shoulder blades and there is some swelling now. she told me that i cannot work out my shoulder for at least 6 weeks. My question is.. can i still bench? and can i still work on my arms? i know i definitely cant work on my back and do pull ups anymore since the doc said i cannot lift my arm over my shoulder... but i dont want to not work out the entire upper body for 6 weeks... second question.. if I DO stop working out my entire top.. how much muscle loss will there be for the period of 6 weeks? i dont know if i post this in the right section... but please give me some advice with it.. thanks!!

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    She likely meant your rotator cuff. That being the case, no you should not bench. This is one of those cases where taking 6 weeks off is going to be a much better decision than trying to work through the pain. RC's are not something you want to fool around with. Take the time to work on your lower body strength, calf development, lower back strength, etc.

If you keep your calories at maintenance, you shouldn't lose too much, and what you do lose will come back relatively quickly if you don't prolong the injury.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    She likely meant your rotator cuff. That being the case, no you should not bench. This is one of those cases where taking 6 weeks off is going to be a much better decision than trying to work through the pain. RC's are not something you want to fool around with. Take the time to work on your lower body strength, calf development, lower back strength, etc.

If you keep your calories at maintenance, you shouldn't lose too much, and what you do lose will come back relatively quickly if you don't prolong the injury.
    alright! guess no upper body training for 6 weeks! however, i have just started a cut 2 weeks ago.. so even with the high protein, i am in calories deficit.. will the deficit enhance the muscle loss? or as long as i am taking enough protein then it doesnt matter how much my calories in take is? thanks!!!!

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by kinghandle View Post
    alright! guess no upper body training for 6 weeks! however, i have just started a cut 2 weeks ago.. so even with the high protein, i am in calories deficit.. will the deficit enhance the muscle loss? or as long as i am taking enough protein then it doesnt matter how much my calories in take is? thanks!!!!
    Keep in mind that you can always discuss what you can and can't do with your doc. Perhaps some bicep & tricep work, shrugs, etc. may be okay. Depends on exactly what you injured, and what exercises you intend to do. But don't take any chances.

As for the cut/cals, everyone is different so I can't really comment other than to say that any strength you lose usually comes back relatively quickly once you've gotten the green light to begin again. Deficits do generally lead to more muscle loss (esp. while not lifting with those muscles), but keeping the protein above 1-1.25g / lb of body weight should help.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Keep in mind that you can always discuss what you can and can't do with your doc. Perhaps some bicep & tricep work, shrugs, etc. may be okay. Depends on exactly what you injured, and what exercises you intend to do. But don't take any chances.

As for the cut/cals, everyone is different so I can't really comment other than to say that any strength you lose usually comes back relatively quickly once you've gotten the green light to begin again. Deficits do generally lead to more muscle loss (esp. while not lifting with those muscles), but keeping the protein above 1-1.25g / lb of body weight should help.
    ok!! thanks alot for the helpful advice!!! it is really useful for me.