Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is Smith Machine Effective For Bench Press Over Barbells?

Hey so I was reading another topic but I didnt want to add to it but how effective is Smith Machine as a bench press exercise over regular barbell flat bench press? Im thinking it might help me mentally cause Im always adjusting the bars in my hand to keep it even and the bench always seems slightly wrong angle when looking up at bar.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Peter_Bishop View Post
    Im thinking it might help me mentally cause Im always adjusting the bars in my hand to keep it even and the bench always seems slightly wrong angle when looking up at bar.
    Huh? Are you saying when you bench with a barbell, the bar doesn't go up parallel to the floor ( ie you don't lock out both side at the same time )? So what, don't worry about it. Its certaintly not a reason to start using the smith machine.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zealot_paul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey so I was reading another topic but I didnt want to add to it but how effective is Smith Machine as a bench press exercise over regular barbell flat bench press? Im thinking it might help me mentally cause Im always adjusting the bars in my hand to keep it even and the bench always seems slightly wrong angle when looking up at bar.
    Barbell bench press is better, forces you to stabilize the weight on your own. Maybe your loading the bar too heavy, or simply starting off in an uneven position. Have a gym instructor, or a friend check your form to make sure your doing it right. If its just a strength imbalance, try doing dumbbell bench press for a few weeks, that should even you out, plus its always good to add variety.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Smith machines are okay but for big compounds like flat pressing, Id much rather use DB's or a barbell. If I was deadset on using a smith machine, Id use it as an accessory movement, definitly not a primary one.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You shouldn't need to adjust your hands once the bar is unracked. Your hands should be in the proper position when you unrack the bar to keep it stable. Stabilizing the bar is part of what makes using free weights superior to machines. You need to learn how to properly bench press is all. Running to a machine is NOT the answer...

Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10) Peter_Bishop is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks everyone who replied considering all it took was a quick forum search to find this questions answered many times before. Im gonna try it once tomorrow to see how it feels. As for I mean about the bar being wrong its when your on the bench looking up the bar rather than looking straight is is a bit left to right angled so when your lifting it feels weird mentally.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Learn the freeweight barbell.

Make sure you hands are evenly placed before unracking. Use the same grip every time and it becomes pretty natural.

Start light. If you are having trouble getting form/technique down a heavy ass weight isn't what you need to be working with just yet.

You dont need to be, and probably shouldn't be, visually focusing on the bar as you are lifting.

giving my body a reason DominationStation's Avatar
    DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Short answer: free-weight barbell.

Long answer: free-weight barbell, no doubt.

'Nuff said.
    Today I'll do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When I first started training all I used was the smith machine when I benched... I worked out alone at a 24 hour gym after 2 a.m. so literally I was the only person there almost every night. I never saw any real improvements... after I started using freeweights though completely different story. I think that the smith machine has it's place in a chest routine though... I still like to use it every once and a while to do things like heavy forced negatives where stabilizers arent really the issue and the fixed path is actually a good thing. But outside of that the only time I use it is for shrugs lol
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142412021