IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does riding a bike build muscle?

Before I get attacked by people saying "it's an endurance exercise", I understand that. But my question is really about when you're cycling up hills.

Where I live it is quite hilly and everytime I climb these hills on my bike, my legs feel serious burn as though I was after doing weights. I assume it is building muscle seeing as your legs are put under a high amount of stress to push yourself up that hill, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10) amyfit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are right. Once I started cycling my thighs really took on a good shape. I trained for and competed in an Ironman down in KY. I rode hills every week to prep for that, the comments on how much better my legs looked were amazing. High gears and steep hills are amazing for building the thighs. I'm not saying that it should replace good ol' heavy lifting, NEVER!!! But it certainly helps bring those thighs and hams in. Calves too.
    Amyfit

creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50) creationd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say yes. I ride my bike a lot long distances, got good leg developement from it. I used to neglect legs somewhat in the gym, bike riding def. Kept my legs in shape. Really gives the quads a pounding.
    lifting @9000ft bishes!

IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IbramGaunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thats good to hear. I am currently lacking in gym equipment to do leg exercises so I guess keeping up the cycling will have to do for the time being!

Cheers.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It certainly builds muscle, but will not imitate bodybuilding.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000)
    i can tell you after starting to ride my quads have exploded in their definition and strength.

if only i can get rid of the inner thigh flab
    [300 Spartan Crew]

VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VEight is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes biking is a great exercise, obviously you won't get the same gains as you would with heavy squats, but its still good to do.

Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Cycling will help build your calves, thighs, and hammies especially on climbs. You won't get the build like you would from weights but it is a great start. I have been cycling for years and when I started, I noticed a good tone in my leg muscles. After last year when I started to competitively race, I did notice some more increase in my leg size.

Hill climbing is great especially if you can do climbing intervals in a low gear or a high gear at a faster cadence. If you are really looking to hit the muscles on a bike climbing hills, stand and climb. If you can tolerate the lactic burn (stay hydrated), you will give your legs one hell of a workout!

If you want a real good leg tone try cycling 2-3 days a week doing climbs and then 3 days a week do squats, presses, and weighted lunges and you will notice a GREAT tone and size increase in time.
    “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” - Lance Armstrong

"A vasectomy means never having to say you're sorry."

partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50) partsbook will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't own a bike but my wife convinced me to try spin class with her. After just 2 weeks I can already tell that the inside of my thighs and my quads are really firming up. So my answer would be a big yes cycling does build leg muscles!

dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I believe so yes......there is this world class speed skater in my gym, now its not biking but similar in that its an endurance type thing, his legs are massive and cut and he does not do bodybuilding leg exercises, its from using them all the time for his sport.

this is an older picture, does not really do them justice, they are much bigger now

BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000) BigD_SEVA is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dbluegoat View Post
    I believe so yes......there is this world class speed skater in my gym, now its not biking but similar in that its an endurance type thing, his legs are massive and cut and he does not do bodybuilding leg exercises, its from using them all the time for his sport.

this is an older picture, does not really do them justice, they are much bigger now
    damn dude nice stats, you look like youre my build too. repped
    [300 Spartan Crew]

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by IbramGaunt View Post
    Before I get attacked by people saying "it's an endurance exercise", I understand that. But my question is really about when you're cycling up hills.

Where I live it is quite hilly and everytime I climb these hills on my bike, my legs feel serious burn as though I was after doing weights. I assume it is building muscle seeing as your legs are put under a high amount of stress to push yourself up that hill, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
    omg yes! not many hills in florida, but when i biked in pa? yes...very much so ...I also have a spin bike in my home, and do spinning routines...and those really help build muscle and stamina...it's nice because you're getting a cardio workout, too.

chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    got some cycle friends who ride the bike a lot in the city and they have huge eye popping calves and they don't lift
    they look kinda funny with thin upper body and big legs but bottom heavy is better than top heavy!

Originally Posted by chitown70 View Post
    got some cycle friends who ride the bike a lot in the city and they have huge eye popping calves and they don't lift
    they look kinda funny with thin upper body and big legs but bottom heavy is better than top heavy!
    im the opposite my calves are pretty cut for someone with my BF% it looks like somone cut my legs off below the knee and replaced them with someone elses

inb4 C.S.B.
    [300 Spartan Crew]

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    look at a picture of a cyclists's legs and report back

Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10) Suedec is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chitown70 View Post
    There is a guy I race with and he doesn't lift and his calves look like cantaloupes... Monsters!
    But jsut because they may give you big muscles and definition, don't expect to be able to do monster weights. But, it does look good!
    “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” - Lance Armstrong

"A vasectomy means never having to say you're sorry."

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    as mentioned, mainly the calves that get the hypertrophy from cycling. i quit riding a year ago and hardly do any direct calf work and they're still heart-shaped.

for what it's worth, rock climbing (which i used to do often as well) is also an awesome calf builder.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zentenk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it does!!!! My legs were skinny and now they are getting shape and I'm so happy! I started a few months ago riding my bike to work. It takes me about 5 minutes to get there and I ride fairly quickly. Later my buddy showed me a trail off base that has some decent elevation, AND IT IS A BLAST! I love when it is muddy too, it is a full body work out. I do that about once a week. I also do leg exercises in the gym for added strength.

Now to get these scrawny arms up to snuff.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Im going to go against the grain and say no with a maybe.. This is IMO

If we are talking hills, and enough resistance then quite possibly youll see some change in shape and definition possible hypertrophy.

If your talking flat ground riding for long periods of time and not pushing hard really and going through the motions then no. Youll be hitting the wrong muscle fibers and not stimulating the type II.

I have had experience and have rode a bike from the age of 12-18 yrs of age. I had seen changes such as more sharpness but for mass and sheer size of the quads hit some heavy squats.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cycling is great for your legs . . . like others have said, it's not going to turn you into Tom Platz or anything but it does build the legs up and builds strength/endurance. I don't ride a lot, but I do some mountain biking and the effects are definitely noticeable. Some of my buddies who don't lift at all but ride quite a bit have pretty incredible leg development (for not lifting).
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My squats and deads are stronger when I am biking regularly
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

Registered User iDontSkipLegDay's Avatar
    iDontSkipLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My starting strength for the squat was over 2 plates. I biked frequently prior to starting lifting and I think thats what attributed to my squat.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by iDontSkipLegDay View Post
    My starting strength for the squat was over 2 plates. I biked frequently prior to starting lifting and I think thats what attributed to my squat.
    I bet you are squatting high

TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TakeTheLift is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cycling is great for leg development. Id say for me it was the key from making my legs good to exceptional. Interval Sprints or hill climbs are my personal fav.
    The best leg gains I have made is from combining cycling with squatting with the aim of strength training (lower reps)

Plus, it's great to add another plate to your squat over a period of time, but the equivalent on the bike is going from busting a gut to get up a steep climb, to being able to Sprint up it out of the saddle! A great motivator when you see these sort of improvements, and an indicator that the squats are paying off if nothing else!
    ★★★ I was part of the Ultra 2013 Thread Crew ★★★

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Talk is cheap. It's what you do, not what you say, that counts.