sense2k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Lower back ache from bent over rowing

I know this has probably been addressed but I can't search thru countless pages trying to find what I'm looking for
    soooooooo
    Do you recommend using a lifting belt for doing bent over rowing (barbell)?
    I do not lift heavy - probably 100 lbs
    but i find that the next day my lower back is achy enough that I sometimes have to skip the next bent over rowing day.
    I am trying to stretch out my lats so that the upper part doesn't overdevelop and i end up having bunchy looking lats

Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I bet when you are doing the movement you are standing up a bit, thus lifting with your back. Try lowering the weight and use good form.
    Instagram @captloufitness

Get comfortable being uncomfortable

USMC 89-97

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How often are you doing them? Your back should recover in a week. Aside from the form comment above, and not trying to do them more often, you just need to build your lower back. You might want to try adding in some good mornings.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Look in the mirror when you do them, if your back looks like a camels would then you are doing them wrong. If it looks like the spine at your doctors office only horizontal, you are good. While you do the exercise are you bobbing up and down using your lower back to generate the force to get the weight moving? If you are that can work the lower back muscles pretty hard but it can also put you at risk for an injury.Barbell rows along with squats and deadlifts are the exercises I rarely see people do correctly so theres a goo9d chance your form can be improved.

I like to use a belt, its a personal choice that you have to make. For me I like the support and I believe it can take some of the stress off your waist muscles. For some that is the reason they dont wear one but for me maintaining as small a waist as possible is my concern so I dont want any more muscle growth around my waist.

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    How about switching to one arm DBs with one leg on a bench
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I try to keep my chin up and squeeze my shoulder blades together as I am pulling the bar up.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sense2k View Post
    I know this has probably been addressed but I can't search thru countless pages trying to find what I'm looking for
    soooooooo
    but i find that the next day my lower back is achy enough that I sometimes have to skip the next bent over rowing day.
    I am trying to stretch out my lats so that the upper part doesn't overdevelop and i end up having bunchy looking lats
    It will happen of your lower back muscles are weak or your form is bad , in both cases you lighten the load, in the second case you video yourself or have someone check your form

you can't really offer much advise without seeing you doing it
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I lifting belt will not help this, and I would hold off from ever wearing a belt.

A lot of people get a little twinge in their lower back/upper glute area during a rowing workout that may be due to lack of flexibility or improper form. If this is the case, it should pass within a few minutes of completing your sets. However, you are saying that this is lingering from workout to workout. Something is wrong here. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are getting like this using 100 pounds, you should make sure that there is no disk problem, sciatica, etc.

I would run this by your doctor and describe your pain (e.g., dull ache, shooting pain, numbness) and where it hurts (e.g., small of the back, hip and butt, extends down the leg).

Ray
    Last edited by pastorgbc; 06-29-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: need to add something
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

sense2k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Thanks

for all the replies - all helpful
    I work out to keep in shape but with no set goals such as benching more and more etc
    I am also a small dude 155 lbs
    the weights have helped me very much with my shoulder problems
    as far as lats go - in my opinion having nice long lats is awesome
    I always think of good ol' (and small) bruce lee - what great lats!
    I think maybe i should drop the weight and work on form instead of trying to rush and do things wrong

I think good mornings may help - there is a machine at the gym - you sit on there and push the back of the seat with your back to work lower back i think
    does anyone know if that is as effective?

thx

tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    pull the belt tight and fill my belly with air . keeps my lower back stable..

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rob440 makes a good point. If you round your back during the movement you needlessly stretch the lower back muscles prior to the lift, and then apply a lot of force when you lift the weight. Your back is arched for a reason. Don't fight it. Use it. And take a look at the muscles your applying the force to before you start working your lats.

http://anjasmith.files.wordpress.com...ck-muscles.jpg

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think good mornings may help - there is a machine at the gym - you sit on there and push the back of the seat with your back to work lower back i think
    does anyone know if that is as effective?

thx
    Before you do anything try and learn to use the proper technique..
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perfor...per-technique/

a machine will not teach you good form..
    If you want nice long lats maybe you should try reincarnation, that's a genetic feature

Last edited by BrotherWolf; 06-29-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    Before you do anything try and learn to use the proper technique..
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perfor...per-technique/

a machine will not teach you good form..
    If you want nice long lats maybe you should try reincarnation, that's a genetic feature

True stuff. Form first. Best wishes.
    Be well and breathe deep.

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    Indeed check your form. Keeping your torso still, use your upper back muscles to pull the barbell to your chest. Don't follow the other guys in the gym: if they're anything like the tools at mine, they do what looks more like good mornings.
    Overweight and arrogant

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I posted this in a similar thread a while back maybe it can help you.

Originally Posted by rob440 View Post
    A few suggestions to make the exercise more effective;

Start light until you can feel the target muscles working when you are an expert add weight until you lose the feeling you have just learned then back the weight off slightly so you can maintain the feel with the heavier weight..

Use a grip where your arms will end up perpendicular to the floor through the majority of the movement. It should look like your bench press grip.

Move the weight so it is close to your thighs almost dragging up them and finish with the bar where your waist meets your legs.

Hold your torso slightly higher than parallel to the floor. Experiment with this angle a little to hit the area of your back you want. Make sure you hold your lower back in its natural position throughout this movement DO NOT ROUND YOUR BACK! Hamstrings may require time to get stretched enough to do this but dont skip it.

Try this and see if you dont finally realize why barbell rows are considered so effective.

Registered User haveagreatday90's Avatar
    haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haveagreatday90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As stated check your form. If your form is correct and it still causes discomfort find a different exercise or exercises to work those muscles.

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    soooooooo
    Don't use belts or machines to compensate for what is probably a lack of core strength and stability.

Do work on core strength and stability through progressions in the squat, the deadlift, and overhead presses.

Remedial stuff would be push ups and these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkIaarnf0g you should be able to maintain a perfect plank position all the way to chest to floor or chest to bar depending on which one you are doing.

By the way, how far along in this game are you? Your weight? Height?
    Last edited by tonester; 07-02-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In addition to the good advice that's already in here, try sitting back further on your heels. I found that if I'm not careful I'll let my body weight drift forward as I do the reps. This puts more pressure on the lower back. The more that you can keep the weight on your heels, lean back, and try to get the bar fairly close to your legs the better you'll be. If you find yourself wanting to use your legs and lower back to heave the weight up, then you need to take some weight off of the bar.
    Last edited by MDPower75; 07-02-2010 at 12:23 PM.