Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50)

DOMS, Two a days, old guys like me...

So…DOMS, routines, intensity, age, etc. I’m 45, have been working out for about 18 months. I have a four day on, one day off routine that –to date- has worked well for me. But, I’ve found that I don’t experience DOMS very much anymore, regardless of intensity, exercise (barbell v. cable v. dumbbells, etc.). I am very well toned, I just can’t seem to grow like I once did. I take creatine and White Flood before my workouts, and protein post workout. I eat well, and am…well, very fit. So, that’s a good thing.

However, I want to grow more…but not in the midsection. I am considering a 2x per day approach (on the same muscle group) for a month or so to see if that yields any results or if it becomes counter-productive. I sort of came upon this thought by accident…although, I know it’s not a new concept. I worked out during lunch last week, then a friend of mine –who I’ve been trying to get into the gym for years- finally decided he wanted to give it a go that evening…so I went to the gym again that evening and worked the same muscle group I worked earlier that day. I worked at the same (or slightly less) intensity, and experienced DOMS the following day(s). That got me to thinking that perhaps my body needed that extra “push” later in the day to really tear down the muscle for a more extensive recovery and (hopefully) subsequent growth.

For an older guy like me, is that asking for trouble? Or, is this something I should give a try and see how it goes? I realize that it’s more of a commitment to the gym, but if it yields results, I’m willing to give it a shot for a finite period of time (say 4-6 weeks). It’s just so frustrating when you feel as though you’re doing all the right things, and yet there is little in terms of results. I’ve never taken steroids, but man, I can see how some people could get frustrated enough to start taking them.

Your thoughts/opinions/suggestions are appreciated. Am I nuts? Sorry if this sounds like a n00by type question, but I was always told that the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask. Man, I sound like someone's dad...oh...wait, I am... Anyway, thanks for your help.
    Is that a real poncho, or a Sears poncho?

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dw33z1L View Post
    So…DOMS, routines, intensity, age, etc. I’m 45, have been working out for about 18 months. I have a four day on, one day off routine that –to date- has worked well for me. But, I’ve found that I don’t experience DOMS very much anymore, regardless of intensity, exercise (barbell v. cable v. dumbbells, etc.). I am very well toned, I just can’t seem to grow like I once did. I take creatine and White Flood before my workouts, and protein post workout. I eat well, and am…well, very fit. So, that’s a good thing.

However, I want to grow more…but not in the midsection. I am considering a 2x per day approach (on the same muscle group) for a month or so to see if that yields any results or if it becomes counter-productive. I sort of came upon this thought by accident…although, I know it’s not a new concept. I worked out during lunch last week, then a friend of mine –who I’ve been trying to get into the gym for years- finally decided he wanted to give it a go that evening…so I went to the gym again that evening and worked the same muscle group I worked earlier that day. I worked at the same (or slightly less) intensity, and experienced DOMS the following day(s). That got me to thinking that perhaps my body needed that extra “push” later in the day to really tear down the muscle for a more extensive recovery and (hopefully) subsequent growth.

For an older guy like me, is that asking for trouble? Or, is this something I should give a try and see how it goes? I realize that it’s more of a commitment to the gym, but if it yields results, I’m willing to give it a shot for a finite period of time (say 4-6 weeks). It’s just so frustrating when you feel as though you’re doing all the right things, and yet there is little in terms of results. I’ve never taken steroids, but man, I can see how some people could get frustrated enough to start taking them.

Your thoughts/opinions/suggestions are appreciated. Am I nuts? Sorry if this sounds like a n00by type question, but I was always told that the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask. Man, I sound like someone's dad...oh...wait, I am... Anyway, thanks for your help.

A. You are not old.

B. I would not do 2x a day on the same group. If you do it right the first time, (at least for me anyway), you won't feel like doing it again that day.

If you want to grow, eat more and lift heavier. If you are going to add anything extra to your day (in the form of exercise), add some cardio later in the day.

JMO, but I would not do the same muscle group 2x in one day. I suppose you could split your routine into an AM/PM, and work two separate groups.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

No your not crazy at all since many lunch time "speed" workouts are "less than satisfying" because of time or sweat issues. Many times that 30 min feels like you left some on the table so the natural thing to do would be to "finish" it later that evening. I have done them and have found no negatives other than extra tiredness the following day. It is easy for 12 sets to turn into 24 sets because it is split between 2 workouts. Just make sure that your nutrition and rest is up to par. Good luck

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Don't base any training assumptions on whether or not you get "sore;" it's not an indicator of anything more than you did some work.

As far as Two-A-Days go, leave them for those who train with 'assistance.' You should be training hard enough in your one daily session that you don't want to train again that day.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ob205 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Don't base any training assumptions on whether or not you get "sore;" it's not an indicator of anything more than you did some work.

As far as Two-A-Days go, leave them for those who train with 'assistance.' You should be training hard enough in your one daily session that you don't want to train again that day.
    ^^^^^^^Solid advice here, and I would go farther to say you shouldn't train more than 4x a week at MOST.

Also, if all you want is soreness (which hasn't been proven as a sign of muscle stimulation), then you could do eccentric only workouts and be plenty sore, not saying that is most productive way to train, but if you live and die by DOMS then it is a surefire way to induce it.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the ILLUSION of knowlegde! - Stephen Hawking

Tampa, FL
    NSCA CSCS, BS
    twitter @maxwellob

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think you need to work harder. I think you just need to work differently. It sounds kind of like you do the same routine, over and over, same weekly schedule, same everything. And you keep getting the same results because your body knows just what to expect and has adapted well to your exact routine, so sees no need to adapt further. Bodies are funny that way, often disagreeing with us about what they should do.

Standard disclaimers about me being a total newb and not knowing what I'm talking about apply.

Threadweaver- Psyche Hero hochspeyer's Avatar
    hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Everyone has given good advice. DOMS is not something I look forward to (I guess thats a bit weird around here). Its okay to say older- never say old.

Under no circumstance is it okay to say "toned."

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    4 on 1 off sounds too much already & your thinking of a change and doing more?

Why not do less?

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by hochspeyer View Post
    Under no circumstance is it okay to say "toned."
    This ^

Originally Posted by TheResistance View Post

Why not do less?
    Please explain why is it to much ???

I workout with weights 6 times a week in the pm and do cardio daily in the am .... am I overtraining , no way no how , is my diet spot on and am I making gains ... damn rite !!!

No such thing as overtraining , only undereating and/or not having your diet in check.

lol @ why not do less ....

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm in the same camp....no DOMS and I'm totally bummed.

I'd try mixing up the workouts instead of twice a day. Your body can get used to a routine pretty quickly.

I've been cycling my rep/weight ranges on a 3 week cycle. So I have a medium weight/high rep week(10-15), med-heavy weight/normal reps(8-10), heavy weight/low reps(4-6).

I also mix up the exercises except for heavy week, which is pretty much all barbell exercises.

Works for me. Try it.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10) chass is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keep a Workout Log. If you lift more weight or do more reps each week, your doing something right. When you stop making gains switch routines and/or exercises. Simple as that.
    Live each day to the fullest

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by *STEVE* View Post
    This ^

Please explain why is it to much ???

I workout with weights 6 times a week in the pm and do cardio daily in the am .... am I overtraining , no way no how , is my diet spot on and am I making gains ... damn rite !!!

No such thing as overtraining , only undereating and/or not having your diet in check.

lol @ why not do less ....

I guess he could take your advice - oh, you didn't bother to give him any.

lol @ you coming in just to knock me - again.

PS its 'too' not 'to'.

tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ironwill 2008 View Post

x 2 ( over training will have a negative affect ) training 4 days in a row with little rest between sessions is not a good idea . should take a look at your routine as well . a good 3 day a week with compound lifts ( rows , squats , deads and pressing ) is a good start . more is not always better..adding weight to the bar and a rep or two is going to be more productive . a good diet is a major plus
    Last edited by tonni; 06-29-2010 at 05:52 AM.

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Why not do less?
    How could you say that without knowing his split?
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Stand Tall Among Giants BlowTorch's Avatar
    BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Amen. Remember Lee Priest saying this over and over.

tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BlowTorch View Post
    Amen. Remember Lee Priest saying this over and over.
    he is not Lee Priest..and I don't think he is on "gear" either..

Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dw33z1L will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK, I'm seeing some interesting advice here. So far, what makes the most sense to me is that I'm not switching things up enough. It is true that I "sort of" do the same routine over and over.

Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Bi's Tri's Lats
    Day 3: Shoulders/traps
    Day 4: legs
    Day 5: off

Throw in some core and aerobic here and there, and that's pretty much my schedule. I try to switch up the SORT of exercise I do for each body part every 4 to 6 weeks. Perhaps, I'm not making a large enough switch. I'm also not varying the weight/reps too much. So, I think I need to look at two things:

1: Vary weight/reps
    2: Vary exercise per body part

I will sideline the two-a-day idea for now, and focus on simply changing my routine up a bit. As for doing LESS, that's not gonna happen. I thoroughly enjoy my time at the gym, I don't feel as though I'm overtraining as I'm hitting each body part (primarily) every 5th day. I realize I'm working the same muscle (secondarily) throughout my routine though...so there may be some room for improvement there as well. At any rate, I feel great, have loads of energy, and am toned...I mean...um...in tune...nope...uh...hard bodied. Yeah, that's it, I'm a well-defined hard bodied 45 yr old...with most of his hair and all of his teeth. Yeah...that's the ticket.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It will be applied as appropriate.
    Is that a real poncho, or a Sears poncho?

joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joenj07087 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tonni View Post
    excellent point!

I get the feeling that people assume that training and recovering on gear is the same as without, not everyone here is on gear and to even suggest that if it is alright for someone like Lee Priest it should be alright with everyone is down right scary!

and for people not doing Gear, "overtraining" is a very horrific possibility that can hold you back big time!

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I guess he could take your advice - oh, you didn't bother to give him any.

lol @ you coming in just to knock me - again.

PS its 'too' not 'to'.
    *facepalm*

was tryin to play nice but seein as your gonna act like an ass , heres some overdue negs

Acquiring Spartan Status KAbjorn's Avatar
    KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Doms does not mean growth at all. DOMS means your muscles are going Oh shi*t wtf was that?

I had to read some studies for my Anatomical Kinesiology class in which generally speaking, DOMS ignited less muscle growth then a regular well planned workout. DOMS is your body's way of saying "don't ever do that to me again".

Oh and by the way, if you want soreness, just do eccentric contractions. The process of bringing the weight "down" actually causes more soreness and stress then bringing it up, but not the gains. There was one study done in which a person was assisted in bringing 120% of their max dumbbell curl up, and then they lowered it themselves. Caused intense muscle damage, and extreme muscle stress.
    "Till taught by pain, men know not water's worth." - Lord Byron.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    CNS fatigue, brother.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Stand Tall Among Giants BlowTorch's Avatar
    BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlowTorch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tonni View Post

Really?

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    CNS fatigue, brother.
    Ya I get what your sayin but theres ways to improve that and your recovery time too.