greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50) greenswimmer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

"Cycling" off of Beta-Alanine--beneficial?

I've already run a search, but all the evidence I found was anecdotal, not empirical. However, I keep hearing about people taking BA for a few months on, then a few months off.

Are there any studies that show that it is beneficial to cycle off of Beta Alanine--that my body will "adapt" and render it temporarily ineffectively? Or is this mere broscience? What do reputable experts like Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, etc say about it? I've searched but can't find very solid answers.

Thanks.

kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by greenswimmer View Post
    I've already run a search, but all the evidence I found was anecdotal, not empirical. However, I keep hearing about people taking BA for a few months on, then a few months off.

Are there any studies that show that it is beneficial to cycle off of Beta Alanine--that my body will "adapt" and render it temporarily ineffectively? Or is this mere broscience? What do reputable experts like Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, etc say about it? I've searched but can't find very solid answers.

Thanks.
    No. You get beta alanine from food like chicken, so taking it as a supplement is not going to negatively impact you unless you just really hate the BA tingles.

evidence based poster Terrimonas's Avatar
    Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is no human research that would indicate muscle carnosine levels drop despite supplementing with beta-alanine.

kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) kissdadookie has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Terrimonas View Post
    There is no human research that would indicate muscle carnosine levels drop despite supplementing with beta-alanine.
    This is because your body does not directly produce beta alanine. Beta alanine is basically what gets released when the body breaks down histidine dipeptides (including carnosine), a by product of L-alanine to pyruvate conversion, as well as from food. The stuff is really exogenous if you think about it and thus supplementing with beta alanine will not cause a down regulation of any sort since our bodies do not actually produce beta alanine on its own.

idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    No. You get beta alanine from food like chicken, so taking it as a supplement is not going to negatively impact you unless you just really hate the BA tingles.
    there's vitamin A in carrots, doesn't mean I can safely take 25,000 IU with vitamin A pills for a year

Originally Posted by idungoofed View Post
    bad logic. there's vitamin A in carrots, doesn't mean I can safely take 25,000 IU with pills for a year
    Bad research skills on your part and horrendous skills at figuring out context. Did I tell the person to take in a bucket of beta alanine in one go? No. What I've pointed out is that the stuff has not been shown to be toxic and gets excreted just fine. Is it safe? If you actually understood beta alanine, you wouldn't have made your idiotic vitamin A comment, in short, it is safe. What do you think comes out when your body breaks down carnosine? Beta alanine. Why do you not just ingest carnosine? Because that is inefficient and gets broken down into beta alanine anyway. The reason I mention that it's in food is to point out that is one main way we get beta alanine into our systems, also to point out that there's no down regulation of beta alanine production because our bodies does not actually produce beta alanine, beta alanine is essentially the by product of the chemical reactions I've mentioned in an earlier post as well as being in food.

So where is the bad logic or are you just trying to be a smart arse? At the least, do your research on beta alanine before running around with such ridiculous comments as the one you have made.

Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is because your body does not directly produce beta alanine. Beta alanine is basically what gets released when the body breaks down histidine dipeptides (including carnosine), a by product of L-alanine to pyruvate conversion, as well as from food.
    Incorrect. Beta-alanine is synthesized from the catabolism of the pyrimidine uracil.

Incorrect. Beta-alanine is synthesized from the catabolism of the pyrimidine uracil.
    Which is basically the last step in breaking down things like carnosine. So where am I incorrect again?

Which is basically the last step in breaking down things like carnosine. So where am I incorrect again?
    lol no it's not. Those are two completely different pathways that result in beta-alanine. Learn some ****ing biochem ffs.

idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000) idungoofed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bad research skills on your part and horrendous skills at figuring out context. Did I tell the person to take in a bucket of beta alanine in one go? No. What I've pointed out is that the stuff has not been shown to be toxic and gets excreted just fine. Is it safe? If you actually understood beta alanine, you wouldn't have made your idiotic vitamin A comment, in short, it is safe. What do you think comes out when your body breaks down carnosine? Beta alanine. Why do you not just ingest carnosine? Because that is inefficient and gets broken down into beta alanine anyway. The reason I mention that it's in food is to point out that is one main way we get beta alanine into our systems, also to point out that there's no down regulation of beta alanine production because our bodies does not actually produce beta alanine, beta alanine is essentially the by product of the chemical reactions I've mentioned in an earlier post as well as being in food.

So where is the bad logic or are you just trying to be a smart arse? At the least, do your research on beta alanine before running around with such ridiculous comments as the one you have made.
    just sayin, as far as i know there aren't any studies on BA for long term use in supplemental doses

I just don't like the "it's in food so **** it use it year long" thing

lol no it's not. Those are two completely different pathways that result in beta-alanine. Learn some ****ing biochem ffs.
    Not a biochem or any science major really. I just do my own research but you are indeed right to an extent. The pathway you've mentioned is just ONE way we produce beta alanine. The other ways I've mentioned is valid which comes right back to the issue of you stating in your original post:

1) That's still not a direct production of beta-alanine in our bodies thus ingesting it does not down regular (the synthesis you've mentioned is still essentially a by-product of that chemical reaction, our bodies are not producing beta-alanine like how our bodies produces hormones)
    2) The 3 ways our bodies gets beta-alanine is completely valid.

Originally Posted by idungoofed View Post
    just sayin, as far as i know there aren't any studies on BA for long term use in supplemental doses

I just don't like the "it's in food so **** it use it year long" thing
    A ceiling has indeed not been established for it but that's mostly due to them not bothering to want to establish a ceiling since at 12-week of the studied dosage, there were not toxicity or negative effects from it. Secondly, again, I mentioned that it's in food to mainly point out that our bodies do not directly manufacture it. It's basically a by-product of other chemical reactions for the most part thus in turn, supplementing with it will not lead to down regulation which is of a concern most of the time for people (like how if you ingest PH or T, your body will shut down on T production).
    Last edited by kissdadookie; 04-23-2013 at 02:02 PM.

1) That's still not a direct production of beta-alanine in our bodies thus ingesting it does not down regular (the synthesis you've mentioned is still essentially a by-product of that chemical reaction)
    Yes it absolutely is the direct synthesis of beta alanine. You are way over your head in ignorance right now.

Yes it absolutely is the direct synthesis of beta alanine. You are way over your head in ignorance right now.
    You're right, just retread this:

http://www.unc.edu/~traut/Beta-alanineSynthase.htm

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is still different from the body intentionally manufacturing it right? It's only produced when there is a degradation of uracil right?
    Last edited by kissdadookie; 04-23-2013 at 02:51 PM.