PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000)

Underweight or low body fat side effects?

I tried searching for quite awhile but, I couldn't find anything.

Back in Highschool, I had a problem my senior year. I didn't pass my physical for sports. I had a severe heart palpitation and had to be monitored by a machine for a month.

I used a machine that said I was around 6% body fat, weight was 150 lbs at the time. I would lose around 15lbs in 2 weeks of fat from 2 day practices in the summer. I would weigh around 135-140 after these.

My abs were not visible even though I had extremely low body fat, and still looked like they had fat on them.

I am starting to believe that because I didn't eat correctly(less than 500 cal a day). That it may of caused this side effect. Now, that I am 25 weighing 190lbs with about 15-20% body fat, these palpitations are pretty much gone.

I also used to get a extremely sharp pain below my heart, it felt like a knife stabbing me for about a minute or so. I couldn't breath very well if at all during this time. This is also completely gone.

I have been working out off and on for some time, lately not so much. I feel that perhaps I was putting my body through so much stress with being underweight with low body fat and not eating correctly. That, this may have triggered these symptoms. Any input would be appreciated.

audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500) audipotential is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I tried searching for quite awhile but, I couldn't find anything.

Back in Highschool, I had a problem my senior year. I didn't pass my physical for sports. I had a severe heart palpitation and had to be monitored by a machine for a month.

I used a machine that said I was around 6% body fat, weight was 150 lbs at the time. I would lose around 15lbs in 2 weeks of fat from 2 day practices in the summer. I would weigh around 135-140 after these.

My abs were not visible even though I had extremely low body fat, and still looked like they had fat on them.

I am starting to believe that because I didn't eat correctly(less than 500 cal a day). That it may of caused this side effect. Now, that I am 25 weighing 190lbs with about 15-20% body fat, these palpitations are pretty much gone.

I also used to get a extremely sharp pain below my heart, it felt like a knife stabbing me for about a minute or so. I couldn't breath very well if at all during this time. This is also completely gone.

I have been working out off and on for some time, lately not so much. I feel that perhaps I was putting my body through so much stress with being underweight with low body fat and not eating correctly. That, this may have triggered these symptoms. Any input would be appreciated.
    Did you see a doctor?
    Canadian Supplement Market Guru

PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000) PaulG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "I didn't pass my physical for sports. I had a severe heart palpitation and had to be monitored by a machine for a month."

So, yes, I did see a doctor. Many doctors, they couldn't give me a clear answer why it was happening.

sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sureshk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sounds like you were extremely underweight. being underweight can put as much strain on your body as being overweight.

if you are severely underweight, and eating very little calories, you body will be digesting itself, and although usually preserved till near last, it will start to digest your own heart (good source of muscle) causing severe problems.

possibly what was happening. good to see you broke the cycle and put on some much needed weight though. although the problem was likely the very low intake, not the actual body weight (150 lbs @ 5'9" is average and in fact my current weight )
    starting stats 08/4-158.5 lbs,95cm waist, ~25% body fat
    current stats 16/7-146 lbs, 81cm waist, ~13.0% body fat

original short term goal = 16 July = 12% BF. Actual reached = 16 July = 13% BF.
    New short term goal = increase calories by 250/week, hope to hit 10-11% BF by the time I reach my bulking calories (3rd Sept).
    Medium term goal = 160 lbs @ 10% body fat by April 2011
    long term goal = 180 lbs, 10% body fat