Mihkelk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mihkelk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running 5km in the morning or in the evening?

Hey all, I was just wondering, I can run 5km in 20-30 minutes on a good intensity, and well, would it burn more fat if I did it in the morning, like 30 minutes after a breakfast? Or better to do it in the evening?
    Also, is running for 20-30 minutes enough per day to lose calories and fat, or should I try and aim for 30-45 minutes by sacrificing speed/intensity?
    Oh, and if anyone could answer this last question as well I'd be extremely grateful, about how many calories would a 30 minute LISS or MISS session burn?
    And is 5km even a good distance? Or should I try go more? Or for a longer time?

Btw, my goal is to lose fat and get fit, yes I do lift weights too, so that part is good. Just wondering which time of day burns more fat, and if it even burns more at a certain time.

I hope these questions can be answered.

RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think it makes a difference what time of day. Stick with the time that you are motivated to do it. For instance, I'm not much of a morning person so its easier for me to stick with workouts in the afternoon. As far as running, look up HIIT cardio training. Keep it intense, keep challenging your body. If it gets to be too easy then change it up so your body doesn't adjust. Focus on your diet. That's the biggest issue.

metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Doesn't matter when you run, they burn calories at the same rate. Pick whichever is more convenient/you enjoy. 30 min MISS burns about 300 calories depending on heart rate. More intensity = more calories burned. Run at whichever pace you're comfortable with.

Losing fat and getting fit is all about diet. If you want real results make sure your calories + macros are in check. You can't outrun a bad diet.
    Life is easy when you take personal responsibility
    MMMC - Assistant to the Assistant of the Secretary of Assistance

I don't do limits.

Mihkelk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mihkelk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, I know I need to have a diet, so far I've cut back on my eating, and also I've cut off ALL junk food, and I try to eat more salads, fresh foods, veggies, I'm also watching calories, I'm still not used to it as much though. And well it seems to be working, I've been jogging almost every evening, skipping an evening here and there to have a rest and give my joints a break and well, I've been doing all of this for 2.5months and lost almost 10kg, which is approx. 22 lbs, this any good?
    And about HIIT, yeah I've been trying to do it, I try to go 7-10 intervals, once I did 10 intervals, last one wasn't really THAT intense, do I need to feel the need to puke after every interval, or after I finish the whole thing? It sure did felt hard and my body felt tired after I got back home. But I'm not sure if I did it intense enough, how intense is the right way? I go all out, I know, BUT, starting from like the 5th all out sprint, I just feel like I can't pump out the highest intensity, my legs just won't let me, but still, I do as hard as I can at that moment. That sounds about right? I'm still a beginner at HIIT, trying to ease into it, been jogging more recently, but I guess I'll do HIIT on non-lifting days, and do jogging after weights on weight days.
    Oh, and now maybe a silly question, but from above I read macros, what are "macros?"

Thanks so far, and hoping to see some replies for this post as well.

canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would say first thing on an empty stomach - burns the fat stores more efficiently. I have found better results this week doing that and have heard its slightly better for fat burning this way
    The body doesn't struggle to lose weight...the mind does - keep measurements, keep your sanity.

I'm an Englishman living in Canada...oh how I miss a decent curry!

Former skinny fat member @ 158lbs - now 205lbs and 15%. It's been a long journey but a rewarding one.

metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) metroins has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You need to get educated on nutrition. I'll give you a small breakdown.

Maintenance calories = calories you need to eat in order to maintain current weight
    Surplus = Eating more calories than maintenance (gain weight)
    Defecit = Eating less calories than maintenance (lose weight)

3500 calorie surplus = 1lb of fat gained, 3500 defecit = 1lb of fat lost.

You need to determine your maintenance calories, Read this:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Macros are your Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat calories per day. So a 40/40/20 macro is 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, 20% fat. The two main factors are total calories (determines weight changes) and protein (prevents muscle loss & builds muscle). You need fats in your diet, fats are essential don't skimp on them. If you're trying to lower calories, lower carbs.

You need to read the Losing Fat for Noobs thread.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post401681611

HIIT is as hard as you can while on, your 15th sprint wont be as fast as your 1st sprint, you'll be tired. Go as hard as you can, it's all about heart rate.
    Life is easy when you take personal responsibility
    MMMC - Assistant to the Assistant of the Secretary of Assistance

I don't do limits.

dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by metroins View Post
    30 min MISS burns about 300 calories depending on heart rate.

I'm somewhere 95 kg in weight, and all tools are telling me I'm burning around 500 kcal on 30 minutes run. I guess amount of calories burnt depends on several factors, like heart rate, body weight, age, etc.

Anyway, I found morning run on empty stomach so much better and efficient for me, since it take much less time (I don't have to wait anything, just wake up, drink some water, go to toilette and run), it wakes me up so good I don't need a coffee (yet I don't have any headaches), I eat less and my appetite is much lower all the day. Well, maybe it's just me

backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yay finally i can help some1

ok if ur doing HIIT then you have 2 make it HIGH INTENSITY, when you do your burtst of sprints you are suppose 2 want to quit, u have to have the motivation to keep on going, so yes you have to feel like you want to puke and die and give up, but you also have to have the will power not to die, puke, and give up, also i read somewhere that when you wake up its easier to burn more weight by doing HIIT in the morning due to something about not having carbohydrates to burn or something(idk if that sounds right) but doing workout in the morning as soon as u wake up, b4 breakfast, is better on losing weight.

backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) backtracedtocyberpolice has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Mihkelk View Post
    Yeah, I know I need to have a diet, so far I've cut back on my eating, and also I've cut off ALL junk food, and I try to eat more salads, fresh foods, veggies, I'm also watching calories, I'm still not used to it as much though. And well it seems to be working, I've been jogging almost every evening, skipping an evening here and there to have a rest and give my joints a break and well, I've been doing all of this for 2.5months and lost almost 10kg, which is approx. 22 lbs, this any good?
    And about HIIT, yeah I've been trying to do it, I try to go 7-10 intervals, once I did 10 intervals, last one wasn't really THAT intense, do I need to feel the need to puke after every interval, or after I finish the whole thing? It sure did felt hard and my body felt tired after I got back home. But I'm not sure if I did it intense enough, how intense is the right way? I go all out, I know, BUT, starting from like the 5th all out sprint, I just feel like I can't pump out the highest intensity, my legs just won't let me, but still, I do as hard as I can at that moment. That sounds about right? I'm still a beginner at HIIT, trying to ease into it, been jogging more recently, but I guess I'll do HIIT on non-lifting days, and do jogging after weights on weight days.
    Oh, and now maybe a silly question, but from above I read macros, what are "macros?"

Thanks so far, and hoping to see some replies for this post as well.
    htt p://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2845231

explains about macros. i dnt have enuf post so remove the space at the beginning of the url

Originally Posted by metroins View Post
    You need to get educated on nutrition. I'll give you a small breakdown.

Maintenance calories = calories you need to eat in order to maintain current weight
    Surplus = Eating more calories than maintenance (gain weight)
    Defecit = Eating less calories than maintenance (lose weight)

3500 calorie surplus = 1lb of fat gained, 3500 defecit = 1lb of fat lost.

You need to determine your maintenance calories, Read this:
    htt p://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Macros are your Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat calories per day. So a 40/40/20 macro is 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, 20% fat. The two main factors are total calories (determines weight changes) and protein (prevents muscle loss & builds muscle). You need fats in your diet, fats are essential don't skimp on them. If you're trying to lower calories, lower carbs.

You need to read the Losing Fat for Noobs thread.
    htt p://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=401681611#post401681611

HIIT is as hard as you can while on, your 15th sprint wont be as fast as your 1st sprint, you'll be tired. Go as hard as you can, it's all about heart rate.
    Yeah I've read about the 40/40/20 and about having to be in calorie deficit, trying to do it as we speak, so yeah. Thanks, it kinda cleared up some more stuff for me.

Alright, I'll try and read more stuff on these boards, and try to start HIIT'ing consistently and such. I got the willpower and motivation and determination to do it, so I'm gonna do it. Thanks everyone.

thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mihkelk View Post
    Hey all, I was just wondering, I can run 5km in 20-30 minutes on a good intensity, and well, would it burn more fat if I did it in the morning, like 30 minutes after a breakfast? Or better to do it in the evening?
    Also, is running for 20-30 minutes enough per day to lose calories and fat, or should I try and aim for 30-45 minutes by sacrificing speed/intensity?
    Oh, and if anyone could answer this last question as well I'd be extremely grateful, about how many calories would a 30 minute LISS or MISS session burn?
    And is 5km even a good distance? Or should I try go more? Or for a longer time?

Btw, my goal is to lose fat and get fit, yes I do lift weights too, so that part is good. Just wondering which time of day burns more fat, and if it even burns more at a certain time.

I hope these questions can be answered.
    Always better for me to workout in the morning. You feel better the whole day having gotten your workout in early. Plus, it's difficult sometimes to get it in after work due to conflicting events. Plus 2 - testosterone is at its peak in the morning.

Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000) Gosha is just really nice. (+1000)
    morning
    boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day

euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000) euclid is just really nice. (+1000)
    Or, you could do what I do and run 3.5 in the morning then 3.5 at night. I don't think it makes a difference what time of day you exercise, as long as you are doing it.
    Philadelphia Flyers

5K's & pull-ups PerfectFormForever's Avatar
    PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000) PerfectFormForever is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Morning. Just from a mental standpoint, it would make me not want to eat too much the rest of the day. Because I don't want to "ruin" or "waste" all that running I did in the morning.

If you wait until night to run, during the day you might think, "Oh well, I'll run it off at night anyway."

Just my perspective, it seems to help.
    Austin Texas Crew
    Ditched the weights
    found Pilates
    and Inner Peace

dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MugenLee View Post
    Morning. Just from a mental standpoint, it would make me not want to eat too much the rest of the day. Because I don't want to "ruin" or "waste" all that running I did in the morning.

EXACTLY. Plus I drink several glasses of water before and after run, which supress my appetite even more.

DjIcemanTR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DjIcemanTR has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Morning, you will feel fitter for the rest of the day

Originally Posted by canadiancoops View Post
    I would say first thing on an empty stomach - burns the fat stores more efficiently. I have found better results this week doing that and have heard its slightly better for fat burning this way
    wrong, never do it on an empty stomach.. you will also lose muscle if you do this.

Originally Posted by DjIcemanTR View Post
    wrong, never do it on an empty stomach.. you will also lose muscle if you do this.

Isn't that a bro science?