donttrygodoit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wrist and hand pain the next day after bench press?

is it normal to have wrist pain the next day after doing bench press or other "press" workouts i also have some pain on the back of my hand right above the wrist. the pain goes away in a day or 2 and nothing is swelling. its not unbearable. theres just a limited range of motion for my wrist because moving it in certain ways cause pain. its only on my left hand though. and i think if there were any significant ligament or tendon damage that it would last for at least a week. i dont know if its muscle pain or not. im okay now and everything is back to normal but im asking advice so i can prevent it from happening

Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's probably happening because of the strain on your hands. Have you been working out long? How much weight are you using? How strong are your forearms would you say?
    Raw / Goals
    Bench: 355x1 / 405x1
    Squat: 485x1 (Parallel) / 585x1
    Clean:230x3 / 275x2
    Tri-Total: 1085
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 245
    Grade: Senior as of the end of summer.

SMASH IT AND TRASH IT BRA!

COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) COBrien3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you do close grip bench? That always makes my wrists hurt. I just don't think I have flexible wrists, lol.
    Fighting misinformation 1 post at a time!

URI - Biological Sciences/Psychology Double Major

---Currently studying for ACSM CPT

Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jloc99205 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by COBrien3 View Post
    Do you do close grip bench? That always makes my wrists hurt. I just don't think I have flexible wrists, lol.
    Ya CG bench tears a lot of peoples wrists up haha. Mine is terrible because I use such high weight and my wrists just aren't flexible and they need to be stretched and pulled to do a full rep. I just fight through the pain usually because I don't want to look like a pussy :P
    Raw / Goals

SnZ53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SnZ53 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by donttrygodoit View Post
    is it normal to have wrist pain the next day after doing bench press or other "press" workouts i also have some pain on the back of my hand right above the wrist. the pain goes away in a day or 2 and nothing is swelling. its not unbearable. theres just a limited range of motion for my wrist because moving it in certain ways cause pain. its only on my left hand though. and i think if there were any significant ligament or tendon damage that it would last for at least a week. i dont know if its muscle pain or not. im okay now and everything is back to normal but im asking advice so i can prevent it from happening
    Had the same thing and i searched around a bit and found a really good article that covers this. hopefully this helps you... That is if its the grip that is causing the pain.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-...lder-injuries/

Read the part where it talks about wrist placement, that got rid of my wrist pain 100% since i benched using this. (same for CGBP)

Heres the part for those who dont want to read the full article(there are pictures to help: Gripping the Bar. Secure the bar with your thumbs by rotating your hands in. Put the bar in the palm of your hand, close to your wrist. If you put the bar close to your fingers, you’ll get wrist pain.

Originally Posted by Jloc99205 View Post
    It's probably happening because of the strain on your hands. Have you been working out long? How much weight are you using? How strong are your forearms would you say?

ive been working out for about 4 months, im not using big weights or anything my bodyweight is 110 (yes i know how low that is lol) im benching 120lbs and my forearms are really skinny. i dont think they're that strong either. bro thanks a lot for the response, what do you think i should do? (i dont want to use wrist support cause its bad long term)

Smile

Originally Posted by COBrien3 View Post
    No my bench is wide grip, yeah i dont think i have flexible wrists either

Originally Posted by SnZ53 View Post
    Had the same thing and i searched around a bit and found a really good article that covers this. hopefully this helps you... That is if its the grip that is causing the pain.

Read the part where it talks about wrist placement, that got rid of my wrist pain 100% since i benched using this. (same for CGBP)

Heres the part for those who dont want to read the full article(there are pictures to help: Gripping the Bar. Secure the bar with your thumbs by rotating your hands in. Put the bar in the palm of your hand, close to your wrist. If you put the bar close to your fingers, you’ll get wrist pain.

Thanks for the article bro, but i want to stress the fact that i have my wrist/hand pain the day after not while im actually benching. but your help is greatly appreciated

bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bruceg is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Make sure your wrist is locked in strait with the rest of your arm....

Kind of hard to explain, but I see a lot of people benching with their hand curled back almost...looks pretty lethal on the wrists. I would imagine this would lead to some pretty bad wrist pain.

Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    Make sure your wrist is locked in strait with the rest of your arm....

Kind of hard to explain, but I see a lot of people benching with their hand curled back almost...looks pretty lethal on the wrists. I would imagine this would lead to some pretty bad wrist pain.
    I bench with all of my fingers (including thumbs) on the top side of the bar. So my wrists are bent backwards instead of straight. That's how I like it though lol doesn't cause me pain anymore and I feel it gives me a lot more pushing power.
    Raw / Goals

ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChosenBrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I got a bad wrist pain once from doing skullcrushers
    ***COUNTRYMIKE APPRECIATION CREW***
    ***Los Angeles MISC Crew***
    Twinlab Militia Member

"Suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret."
    Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130261613&page=43