xsailor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight Lifting for Weight Loss

So I'm ready to implement lifting / weights to my weight loss work out program, because i"m pretty sure just cardio is not helping. I'm a bulky guy so I think I need to implement weights to my program.

Any suggestions what type of work out with weights I should do for weight loss?

Thanks in advance!!

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Eat less.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    Eat less.
    ^^^^This. Eating at a deficit is the best way to shed bodyfat.

Use weight training as a means to add muscle, which is the tissue that burns the most calories. Trying to use weight training as "cardio" is a very inefficient use of gym time.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Eat less.
    That's not what I'm asking so don't try to be a smart ass. If you don't like the question, silence is golden. THere is one of you in every thread on the internet.

heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heath01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xsailor View Post
    That's not what I'm asking so don't try to be a smart ass. If you don't like the question, silence is golden. THere is one of you in every thread on the internet.
    This will make you look good when you lose the weight instead of that gross undernourished 'skinny fat' look. I'm doing the same thing basically. Monitor your calories on a daily basis, I highly recommend a nutrition log where you record everything you eat. Find out your maintenance calories and eat about 500 under that daily (1 lb weight loss per week). For me, at 5'11 190 lbs my maintenance while lifting is around 27-2800 i think. I eat about 1800 - 2200 calories, which actually might be too low, especially since I still do a decent amount of cardio.

If you are new to lifting you have that rare opportunity in the beginning where you can both build muscle and lose fat. This is a great time to start lifting - you can transform your body.

I'd recommend just picking up the weights and doing full body every other day. Focus on bench press, squat, deadlift, rows, pullups, and dips. Throw in some abs, too. If you're going to lift while losing weight definitely just throw out the scale for awhile, because your weight will kind of stall. A good measure of your weight loss is actually your pullups. I couldn't do 1 before I started dieting even though i'd been lifting for a couple months, but as soon as I started losing weight my pullups were increasing by about 1 every other week.

Hope this helps a little bit. Weights won't do a ton for your fat loss, but it will help you look more toned once you start losing weight. Fat loss is mostly in the diet, but lifting keeps me motivated.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you don't want incredibly useful advice, that's fine by me. Enjoy remaining ignorant about weight loss and exercise, however. You clearly do not have the knowledge or expertise to determine my advice was crap.

Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It was a true response.

You mention that you are doing cardio and are not losing weight. That means that you are eating too much(either not eating under maintenance or not in a large enough cal deficit). Weight training is a good thing to do while cutting, but it's not going to accelerate weight loss as it seems you think.

Find your maintenance calories and make sure you are eating below them by 500 or so cals daily.
    My Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120696121

If you don't want incredibly useful advice, that's fine by me. Enjoy remaining ignorant about weight loss and exercise, however. You clearly do not have the knowledge or expertise to determine my advice was crap.
    Question is not what i need to do to lose weight. I'm obviously watching what I eat. i'm asking about exercise routine which is the point why this forum exists, not to ride on assumptions.

Question is not what i need to do to lose weight. I'm obviously watching what I eat. i'm asking about exercise routine which is the point why this forum exists, not to ride on assumptions.
    Yeah, completely obvious...

You don't lift weights to lose weight. You do it to look better, get stronger, get bigger, and improve your health. You can surely pound yourself into the ground with weights and exercise in general in order to burn calories, but that's just a stupid way to do things. It's a giant waste of time and you are better served by eating less food to lose weight, while using an effective weightlifting program to get stronger, look better, get bigger muscles, and improve your joint health.

It takes a ****ton of exercise to burn what you could easily and quickly decide not to eat.

So, that is why I said eat less. Lift weights for all the reasons stated above, and eat less to lean out.

StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by heath01 View Post
    This will make you look good when you lose the weight instead of that gross undernourished 'skinny fat' look. I'm doing the same thing basically. Monitor your calories on a daily basis, I highly recommend a nutrition log where you record everything you eat. Find out your maintenance calories and eat about 500 under that daily (1 lb weight loss per week). For me, at 5'11 190 lbs my maintenance while lifting is around 27-2800 i think. I eat about 1800 - 2200 calories, which actually might be too low, especially since I still do a decent amount of cardio.

If you are new to lifting you have that rare opportunity in the beginning where you can both build muscle and lose fat. This is a great time to start lifting - you can transform your body.

I'd recommend just picking up the weights and doing full body every other day. Focus on bench press, squat, deadlift, rows, pullups, and dips. Throw in some abs, too. If you're going to lift while losing weight definitely just throw out the scale for awhile, because your weight will kind of stall. A good measure of your weight loss is actually your pullups. I couldn't do 1 before I started dieting even though i'd been lifting for a couple months, but as soon as I started losing weight my pullups were increasing by about 1 every other week.

Hope this helps a little bit. Weights won't do a ton for your fat loss, but it will help you look more toned once you start losing weight. Fat loss is mostly in the diet, but lifting keeps me motivated.
    This is all good advice. No one on here wants to give you a specific routine because we have no idea how many chinups/dips you can do, what equipment is available to you, how much weight lifting experience you have, etc. When you ask as broad a question as you did, you get equally broad responses like "eat less."

I'll second the advice to start with a full body routine. I would link you to one, but I'm new here and apparently can't link in a post until I have 30 posts under my belt. So just google Randy Herring's Ultimate Beginner to see the one I suggest you start with.

That writeup suggests you do that workout Monday-Wednesday-Friday. If that's too frequent, just do it every third day. For the first three months, concentrate on form. Do not add any serious weight until you can complete each set in excellent form. By the end of the three months, you should feel firmer, stronger, and possibly hairier. After that, you can come back here and ask about a split routine, if you haven't already picked one out, and the snide responses can start all over again.

Yeah, completely obvious...

You don't lift weights to lose weight. You do it to look better, get stronger, get bigger, and improve your health. You can surely pound yourself into the ground with weights and exercise in general in order to burn calories, but that's just a stupid way to do things. It's a giant waste of time and you are better served by eating less food to lose weight, while using an effective weightlifting program to get stronger, look better, get bigger muscles, and improve your joint health.

It takes a ****ton of exercise to burn what you could easily and quickly decide not to eat.

So, that is why I said eat less. Lift weights for all the reasons stated above, and eat less to lean out.
    You burn more calories by lifting than cardio, do the research.

TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TheResistance is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Any estimates for a range of calories burnt for say an 85 kg trainee in a one hour workout?

I would imagine that the more training experience, the more intense the workout and the more calories burnt?

So I would have thought if you were an advanced trainee you would burn a lot in an hour.

Does anyone know? from personal experience or otherwise?

You burn more calories by lifting than cardio, do the research.
    I think you're wrong (google it), and besides, you're still missing my point. It is stupid to lift weights for the sole purpose of burning calories.

One of the first google hits
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TheResistance View Post
    Any estimates for a range of calories burnt for say an 85 kg trainee in a one hour workout?

I would imagine that the more training experience, the more intense the workout and the more calories burnt?

So I would have thought if you were an advanced trainee you would burn a lot in an hour.

Does anyone know? from personal experience or otherwise?
    200-500/hr, according to one of the million online "calculators."

But that's only a small part of the story. Weight lifting is anaerobic; the calories burned are from burning blood sugar (carbs) and not bodyfat. Cardiovascular exercise, OTOH, is aerobic, meaning it requires oxygen, and is sustained for a relatively long period of time. This is a requirement in causing the body to switch over to bodyfat for fuel. And this, obviously, is the target if fat loss is the issue.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

I think you're wrong (google it), and besides, you're still missing my point. It is stupid to lift weights for the sole purpose of burning calories.

One of the first google hits
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
    you should work out, you should go to literacy school first.

I'm talking about what kind of lifting / weight exercises I need to incorporate to my weight loss / cardio routine so I can burn faster calories. seriously, never mind, don't worry about it. it's too complicated.

StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I'm talking about what kind of lifting / weight exercises I need to incorporate to my weight loss / cardio routine so I can burn faster calories. seriously, never mind, don't worry about it. it's too complicated.
    Considering that you're a beginner, you can put on muscle while losing fat, even if you're already a big guy. This will increase your metabolic rate so you burn more calories while you're at rest and more while you're doing your cardio. You'll also stimulate your body's production of testosterone and HGH, which is good because being overweight tends to make a person more estrogenic (sorry).

Look up Randy Herring's Ultimate Beginner workout, spend a couple months learning good technique and muscle memory, and you'll get healthier faster.

Are you thinking of doing circuit training or something?

lulz, clearly I'm the one who needs to work on grammar and comprehension here. If you're going to resort to the ever original and lame grammar nit picking type comments, you should make sure your own grammar is correct first.

I completely understand what you're trying to do, I'm telling you it is stupid and ineffective. Lifting weights to burn calories is stupid. What about this do you not get? I've explained it already. Stop being a dumb**** and start eating less or doing more cardio, both are going to be far more effective ways to burn calories than weightlifting.

Originally Posted by StoliFun View Post
    Considering that you're a beginner, you can put on muscle while losing fat, even if you're already a big guy. This will increase your metabolic rate so you burn more calories while you're at rest and more while you're doing your cardio. You'll also stimulate your body's production of testosterone and HGH, which is good because being overweight tends to make a person more estrogenic (sorry).

Look up Randy Herring's Ultimate Beginner workout, spend a couple months learning good technique and muscle memory, and you'll get healthier faster.

Are you thinking of doing circuit training or something?
    Added muscle burns a negligible amount of extra calories per day. It's not worth worrying about or counted on to burn extra calories.

N1980V has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's unfortunate that people are looking for advice/ideas to get them started and get bombarded with posts from people who clearly just don't want "new" weight lifters in the gym with them (zephed56). Whatever your purpose is XSailor I'm actually unconcerned with. Once you start lifting you'll feel good, start to see some results in a few months if you stick with and above all - concentrate on good form as someone else had stated. I started using a Men Fitness Dumbbell routine because that's all I had was dumbbells and a bench in my living room. It was the best thing I ever did. I tell you what - the first month I was so freakin' sore I didn't think I'd ever get strong enough to maintain a good full body or split routine. But stick with it and you will see results even if you don't have the perfect mix of diet, cardio and lifting at first. I was injured when I started so I was only lifting for upper body and could do no cardio for almost 5 months. Now I work a 4-day split which includes cardio, I maintain my diet and feel like I have a real handle on a healthy lifestyle. At the end of the day: take a chance on a routine, don't over do it and keep with it...it will payoff.

Good Luck.

inspired_art has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It is stupid to lift weights for the sole purpose of burning calories.
    Says who? What do you expect a overweight person to do? Just walk/run? A beginner won't even make it a 1/4 of a mile, let alone burn fat with dieting and walking alone. That may be ok for a old fart, but not for a young buck. The more you move your body, the more calories you burn. The main thing is to get an ACTIVE lifestyle. If you add low weight/high rep weight-lifting exercises to your regular exercise routine, along with watching what you eat, you will see the pounds come off...much more quicker than just walking alone!

Originally Posted by N1980V View Post
    It's unfortunate that people are looking for advice/ideas to get them started and get bombarded with posts from people who clearly just don't want "new" weight lifters in the gym with them (zephed56).
    Your stupidity is amazing. There's nothing wrong with him lifting weights (I never said there was), in fact it would be a vast improvement to his lifestyle, health, and fitness. It doesn't change the fact that it's retarded to use it for the sole purpose of burning calories. He should certainly start lifting weights, but he needs to reevaluate his reasons for doing so. It's going to lead to frustration when he pays more attention to how many calories he's burning lifting weights instead of watching his diet more closely. He's also going to end up with inferior results from his weight lifting because he wasn't focusing on the things that actually do matter. Focus on getting stronger, increasing your work capacity, and improving your physical qualities in general and you will see superior results. Furiously moving around 5 lb dumbells to make yourself tired and burn calories is not effective.

Originally Posted by inspired_art View Post
    It is stupid to lift weights for the sole purpose of burning calories.
    Says who? What do you expect a overweight person to do? Just walk/run? A beginner won't even make it a 1/4 of a mile, let alone burn fat with dieting and walking alone. That may be ok for a old fart, but not for a young buck. The more you move your body, the more calories you burn. The main thing is to get an ACTIVE lifestyle. If you add low weight/high rep weight-lifting exercises to your regular exercise routine, along with watching what you eat, you will see the pounds come off...much more quicker than just walking alone!
    #1) Woah woah woah. What you're telling me here is that eating at a caloric deficit will not burn fat? That is astoundingly ignorant. I'll give you a nudge in the right direction: go search for Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald, read up, and then come back so you are at least armed with some basic knowledge. This is basic ****, eating below your maintenance calorie level will result in a loss of fat and weight. Diet is also, by far, the best way to create a caloric deficit.

No doubt he should be lifting weights, and if you had bothered to read my posts (or comprehend them) you would have seen that I do endorse the lifting of weights. It just shouldn't be done for the sole purpose of burning calories.

#2) This is exactly the kind of silly **** that this lift-weights-to-burn-calories type thinking leads to, "light weights lots of reps". There are much better uses of his time than moving around piddly ****ing weights for the sole purpose of making yourself tired. Go read the damn stickies and pick a beginner program.

Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500) Stelly85 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Option1:
    Eat less and when you have your bf% low enough, start lifting. This seems no option for you since you either really believe cardio doesn't work or you just can't handle eating less.

Option2:
    Eat exactly at your maintenance or 10% below and start lifting now. Easy way but takes a lot longer to get to lower bf%. Because of slow progress a lot of people don't keep up because they see no fast results".

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm appalled by the general nature of responses to this thread. Most of what I've seen in here was clearly not intended to be helpful, just an effort to show off a sense of superiority. And the sad thing is, there's been some good advice given, but in a totally antagonistic way, which is only going to repel the OP from taking the advice.

Now, it's naive to say that lifting weights, in and of itself, equals uber weight loss. And it's just as naive to say that it won't help. It's a fact that high intensity activities (lifting weights, interval training, sprinting) have relevant metabolic qualities, as do low intensity (aerobic) activities. EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) caused by intense activity basically results in increased aerobic activity between sets and after the training session. But more importantly, a good strength program during a cutting phase will maintain muscle (and for a beginner, may increase muscle mass). Muscle mass uses about 10-20x more energy at rest than fat mass does, and this has significant consequences towards a person's basal metabolic rate, which they'll want to get right in order to cut efficiently. Regardless of whether or not resistance training is the best immediate calorie burner, and regardless of the energy source directly required to move a weight, resistance training is still important in fat loss.

Now, as for programming to OP...

I disagree with light weights to lose weight. I think somewhere in the <10 rep zone is a better alternative. Kyle Aaron (another member on here) promotes a good, simple routine you can follow, and has a good attitude towards beginners, so I suggest looking around for him and talking to him about his program, but the essence of the program is just 3 exercises, 3 days per week, in the 6-8 rep range (6 reps on the first day, 7 on the second, and 8 on the 3rd), increasing the weight once per week.

The exercises are:
    - Squats (increase by 5kg/week)
    - Deadlifts (increase by 7.5kg/week)
    - Overhead Press (increase by 2.5kg/week)

And of course, yes, you should be taking care of your nutrition. For the average person, 2,000kcal/day with exercise will result in fat loss, but you may need to adjust that amount (if you're consuming 2,000/day and exercising and staying at maintenance, decrease caloric intake by 200kcal/day, and see if it makes a difference). Try to always consume at least 1,500kcal during the day, and find something physical to do each day for at least 10min at a time, such as cleaning, gardening, walking the dog (if you have one), going out on active dates (eg play frisbee or go bushwalking with your date), or just parking your car 10min from work.

I hope you find this advice helpful.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

I can't believe this thread is still running.

Eat at a caloric deficit.

Train with weights to add lean mass.

Use cardio to help burn additional bodyfat.

What's the issue here?
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

rd,
    That's not what I was doing so don't try to be a smart ass. If you don't like the answers, silence is golden. THere is one of you in every thread on the internet

ironwill,
    exactly.
    Last edited by zephed56; 06-29-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: teehee