SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Any disadvantages to lifting on empty stomach in the AM?

I've been lifting first thing in the morning before work, and I was just wondering if, other than hunger pangs, there are any reasons not to do so? I've only been getting, on average, around 7 hours of sleep in a night, so I didn't really want to wake up any earlier than I am, figuring that the extra hour of sleep was worth more than a pre workout meal, and I can't always get to bed earlier just due to how my day works. Generally I wake up, down some Jack3d, and head off to the gym.

I also started wondering, I know most people will say that you can only be gaining wait, or losing it, not both. But, one would think that working out in the morning on an empty stomach, once glycogen stores are used up (and I have no idea how much work that actually takes...), wouldn't your body have to start burning fat for fuel? And as long as you stay in a caloric surplus for the remainder of the day still have the nutrients necessary for building size?

a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) a.roman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training fasted is nothing new. If it works for you then just keep doing it.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not really. It is more personal preference. Some people feel better working out after having eaten, some don't. Post workout food is usually more important than pre, anyhow. But even then, it matters on your usual eating habit. Those who follow the 1-meal/day thing have more of a leeway about this.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I train fasted in the AM because....

- It fits my schedule best
    - I know I have trained for the day and feel like my meals are being put to good use
    - My pre workout supplements have better effect fasted
    - I feel sick working out with food in my stomach
    - I don't have to worry about going to train at night after a long day at work and feeling tired. I am refreshed and have 100% energy and haven't exhausted any muscles during the day.

These are the reasons for ME
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SpeedCheeser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    I train fasted in the AM because....

- It fits my schedule best
    - I know I have trained for the day and feel like my meals are being put to good use
    - My pre workout supplements have better effect fasted
    - I feel sick working out with food in my stomach
    - I don't have to worry about going to train at night after a long day at work and feeling tired. I am refreshed and have 100% energy and haven't exhausted any muscles during the day.

These are the reasons for ME
    lol, actually those are pretty much all the reasons I work out in the AM. Just making sure I'm not missing out on anything this way or anything.

Also really curious to see if anyone has any knowledge of the glycogen depletion and fat burning while working out question. I don't know enough about this topic.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
    lol, actually those are pretty much all the reasons I work out in the AM. Just making sure I'm not missing out on anything this way or anything.

Also really curious to see if anyone has any knowledge of the glycogen depletion and fat burning while working out question. I don't know enough about this topic.
    a basic weights session won't deplete your body completely of glycogen.

what do you want to know?
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50) vanzack will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have been working out fasted for almost 5 weeks straight now and have gotten stronger with alot of new PR's........more mental focus and energy.......I don't think I will be going back to eating before working out anytime soon.
    Monday- Abs/HIIT
    Tuesday- Chest, Biceps, Cardio
    Wednesday- HIIT or Rest
    Thursday- Shoulders, Triceps, Traps, Light Cardio
    Friday- HIIT
    Saturday- Back, Abs, Cardio
    Sunday- Legs, Cardio

monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50) monkeyfrogO.O will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i always set PR's if i don't eat before working out.

Daniel Larson 2024 RainingBlood's Avatar
    RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You won't get the most of your workout. You must eat before lifting. You need carbs and protein. Lifting on an empty stomach is a good way to lose muscle.

In it for the Long Haul! bbavender's Avatar
    bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not true ^^^^^ Its all about personal preference. If you feel strong and energized without eating before the gym by all mean go for it. Just make sure you hit your macros for the day and your golden.
    ED got me, ill be darned if it gets anyone else.

Only the strong survive...

25-RAC-99

Follow my RFL Journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141048001

Originally Posted by RainingBlood View Post
    You won't get the most of your workout. You must eat before lifting. You need carbs and protein. Lifting on an empty stomach is a good way to lose muscle.
    No offense, but you are red and you seem to be speaking opposite of everyone else in here thusfar, so I have to be a bit skeptical of your post. I'm sure I've heard this before as well, which is probably why I had this mindset and felt I needed to ask, but I'm thinking it's possible it may be broscience. Which is why I'm trying to get input here.

Originally Posted by RainingBlood View Post

See that red colour under your username and stats? That's why ^^^

In it for the Long Haul! bbavender's Avatar
    bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SpeedCheeser View Post
    No offense, but you are red and you seem to be speaking opposite of everyone else in here thusfar, so I have to be a bit skeptical of your post. I'm sure I've heard this before as well, which is probably why I had this mindset and felt I needed to ask, but I'm thinking it's possible it may be broscience. Which is why I'm trying to get input here.
    Definitely broscience!
    ED got me, ill be darned if it gets anyone else.

Only the strong survive...

25-RAC-99

Follow my RFL Journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141048001

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    a basic weights session won't deplete your body completely of glycogen.

what do you want to know?
    I guess I just had it in my mind that glycogen stores could be depleted quicker than that. How much activity does it take to fully deplete them? And then once depleted, continued activity should cause your body to burn fat, correct? Lastly, if you do this, but still eat a surplus after your workout and throughout the day, you should still be able to build mass...effectively burning fat and building muscle in the same day?

bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigtimeschu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it's a matter of preference. I used to workout after a decent breakfast, but decided to try fasted. Personally I have found that having a 1 scoop protein shake with a little cereal preworkout is best for me. It curbs my morning hunger without slowing me down in the gym.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew] - U mad?