mmowbray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Just pulled my hamstring, what do I do?

So, getting back into shape for the past two weeks. I decided to do wind sprints and some agility training for my cardio because it was a beautiful day and the park was calling me. After about five or six minutes of stretching, I lined up with my workout partner and took off for the first sprint. About 25 yards out, POP! my hamstring goes out and I fall to the ground cursing my dumbass. It's hard to walk. I can't put any weight on the leg and I'm currently keeping it Iced down, elevated and have plenty of Advil on board... Now, what do I do to get back on the horse in the next few days, weeks and months? How do I get back from this? Any ideas from the guys who've gone through this?

I've NEVER had a leg injury before. I haven't even felt what shin splints feel like. However, I'm 28 now and definitely out of shape. How can I make this injury less of a problem and what exercises to people in my situation do to get back up to form?
    What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the only thing to do is rest it and ice it and take anti inflammatories. You have to be patient otherwise that thing will nag you for a while. I tweaked mine 2 weeks ago and about 5 days later I was good. Once it is healed make sure you start doing things like romanian deadlifts, cable pull throughs, sled walks, glute ham raises, go for hip extension excersizes over knee flexion excersizes.
    Last edited by bigguy64; 06-22-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: forgot something

secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get some therapy.

For future notice, dont sprint right after stretching... Go through a 25-30 min dynamic warm up.

mmowbray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by secretlifter3 View Post
    Get some therapy.

For future notice, dont sprint right after stretching... Go through a 25-30 min dynamic warm up.
    So, I will remember not to do that in the future. Thanks for your advice, as well as everyone else. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow. But, do you have any good advice on exercises that will let me ease into getting back to lifting?
    What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mmowbray View Post
    So, I will remember not to do that in the future. Thanks for your advice, as well as everyone else. I'm getting it looked at tomorrow. But, do you have any good advice on exercises that will let me ease into getting back to lifting?
    Once your hamstring is better, you will need to restrengthen it, and make it stronger than it was before (on both legs though). Also, work on flexibility in the hamstrings.

Right now, ice it, do a contrast shower on it, this will all help.

As for exercises, standing hamstring curls (no resistance), hip thrusts, glute bridges, resistance band hamstring curls, single leg hip thrusts, all will help your hamstrings out a lot. Once your into lifting, start doing some hip thrusts w/ resistance and RDLs (not heavy).

DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i'm going to post a link but keep in mind i never pulled a hamstring and i never tried this "method":

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...amstrings.html

Originally Posted by DriveMyWhey View Post
    i'm going to post a link but keep in mind i never pulled a hamstring and i never tried this "method":

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...amstrings.html
    looks pretty good.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mmowbray View Post
    So, getting back into shape for the past two weeks. I decided to do wind sprints and some agility training for my cardio because it was a beautiful day and the park was calling me. After about five or six minutes of stretching, I lined up with my workout partner and took off for the first sprint. About 25 yards out, POP! my hamstring goes out and I fall to the ground cursing my dumbass. It's hard to walk. I can't put any weight on the leg and I'm currently keeping it Iced down, elevated and have plenty of Advil on board... Now, what do I do to get back on the horse in the next few days, weeks and months? How do I get back from this? Any ideas from the guys who've gone through this?

I've NEVER had a leg injury before. I haven't even felt what shin splints feel like. However, I'm 28 now and definitely out of shape. How can I make this injury less of a problem and what exercises to people in my situation do to get back up to form?
    After a few days of ice and rest you can start mixing in heat to the equation. Honestly, just come back slowly increasing things or else it will linger.

Next time try doing some dynamic warm-ups and some lighter sprints where you slowly increase the speed so your muscles are warmed up well. Once you have a sweat going then you can start doing some sprints. Take this from somebody who constantly has had hamstring problems .... don't try to get into the sprints too early. Also, after you do sprints go ahead and do static stretching to increase the range of motion and flexibility. Static stretching is only good if the muscles are warm.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

Delengowski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This wont help you get back faster but you should really try to strengthen hamstrings more because I've been told by trainers that pulled hamstrings can be caused by muscle imbalances between your quads and hams. One of the best if not best reason to get full ROM on squats. (Not saying you do or dont just stating so you know)

Could be just because you weren't warmed up enough either though

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Delengowski View Post
    This wont help you get back faster but you should really try to strengthen hamstrings more because I've been told by trainers that pulled hamstrings can be caused by muscle imbalances between your quads and hams. One of the best if not best reason to get full ROM on squats. (Not saying you do or dont just stating so you know)

Could be just because you weren't warmed up enough either though
    Yes .... imbalances can definitely cause a pull because one muscle is stronger than the other pulling it. Happens more frequently with the front muscle being stronger than the rear .... so the quad stronger than the hamstring.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!