JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)

Personal Training in My Basement?

As some of you may know I will be taking the ISSA test in the next week or so and plan on doing PT on a part time basis. My plan is to turn my basement into a "gym" oriented towards training and will also be available to go to client's houses. Within the next few months we plan on remodeling a little by painting and adding mirrors to the walls to give it a larger feel. Not sure what I am going to do with my big screen TV? It takes up a lot of space. Does anyone know anyone who has done this? What about insurance issuesOne good thing about starting a bussiness like this is that I will be able to purchase weights and machines and then use them as a tax write off. Thanks for any information you might have.
    "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground outside of the Lord's will. So do not be afraid, or worry, for you are worth much more than many sparrows."

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and the rest shall be given to you as well."

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    maybe once you've saved up enough money, you can get a video camera and record them and use the TV to show them how their form looks and then give them tips/critiques/ adjustments.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    maybe once you've saved up enough money, you can get a video camera and record them and use the TV to show them how their form looks and then give them tips/critiques/ adjustments.
    That is a good idea, However you cannot videotape the whole house so oif someone wanted to make a false claim, there is really no stopping them. Has anyone had this happen to them?
    "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground outside of the Lord's will. So do not be afraid, or worry, for you are worth much more than many sparrows."

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and the rest shall be given to you as well."

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Having people, especially women, in your basement, training, can open you up to all sorts of potential liabilities.
    frankly i'd videotape everyclient from time they come in until they leave, so they cannot file some "harassment" suit.

It would probably never happen, but if it did, and you had no proof, it could be devastating.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wouldn't train new clients (strangers), especially females in my basement... nor would I train in someones basement. I think for your sake in regards to building a bigger client base, don't train in your basement, you don't want to lose clients or have them turn you down because you train in your basement.

If you have some neighbors or friends/friends of friends that wouldn't mind training in your basement that may be ok.

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    Having people, especially women, in your basement, training, can open you up to all sorts of potential liabilities.
    frankly i'd videotape everyclient from time they come in until they leave, so they cannot file some "harassment" suit.

It would probably never happen, but if it did, and you had no proof, it could be devastating.
    How do trainers train people in client homes then. Seems like there is risk in every situation. Even if you had your own studio, an accusation may come up.

pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should be clear in learning how your prof liability insurance interacts with your homeowners insurance. People don't want to be honest with their agent and pay for the additional risk. Think about these different issues.

What if a client slips on your icy sidewalk. Is that liability covered by your homeowners or professional insurance? Would it be different if it happens while lifting weights?

If your home burns down it likely won't cover replacing your professional equipment, unless perhaps you've specifically added it on.

If someone has a basket making business in their basement but doesn't declare it to their insurance company. Later a hot glue gun burns the house down. Will the homeowners insurance be required to cover the loss? What if this was the motor of your treadmill?

People are always trying to game the system to avoid paying another $100 a month in insurance. But if they are that unlucky guy it could be game over permanently.

Keep in mind one of your client's is ******* enough to sue you. Lots of em have a victim's mindset to begin with.

Originally Posted by pcproffy View Post
    You should be clear in learning how your prof liability insurance interacts with your homeowners insurance. People don't want to be honest with their agent and pay for the additional risk. Think about these different issues.

What if a client slips on your icy sidewalk. Is that liability covered by your homeowners or professional insurance? Would it be different if it happens while lifting weights?

If your home burns down it likely won't cover replacing your professional equipment, unless perhaps you've specifically added it on.

If someone has a basket making business in their basement but doesn't declare it to their insurance company. Later a hot glue gun burns the house down. Will the homeowners insurance be required to cover the loss? What if this was the motor of your treadmill?

People are always trying to game the system to avoid paying another $100 a month in insurance. But if they are that unlucky guy it could be game over permanently.

Keep in mind one of your client's is ******* enough to sue you. Lots of em have a victim's mindset to begin with.
    Thanks for the reply. I will look into the insurance part of it. I am trying to be positive about this opportunity, however it seems like alll I am getting are the negatives.

Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JolietKev View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I will look into the insurance part of it. I am trying to be positive about this opportunity, however it seems like alll I am getting are the negatives.
    I wouldn't look at it as negatives but things to make sure you cover. If you have no problem doing what is required and getting all the insurance you need then there is nothing to worry about. It's better to know now what the possible down falls are rather then find out when it happens. Honestly unless you have good connections or a good amount of capitol to get your name out there it will be difficult to get clients to train at your house. Personally I have always thought if someone is going to train out of their house having a separate building like a large garage would be more ideal than having it actually in your house. Another thing what kind a visibility does your house have? Is it on a busy road? If not that only makes it that much tougher for people to start noticing you. But, if you are confident you can get the clients then by all means go for it!
    Goals in writing are dreams with deadlines.

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As some of you may know I will be taking the ISSA test in the next week or so and plan on doing PT on a part time basis. My plan is to turn my basement into a "gym" oriented towards training and will also be available to go to client's houses. Within the next few months we plan on remodeling a little by painting and adding mirrors to the walls to give it a larger feel. Not sure what I am going to do with my big screen TV? It takes up a lot of space. Does anyone know anyone who has done this? What about insurance issuesOne good thing about starting a bussiness like this is that I will be able to purchase weights and machines and then use them as a tax write off. Thanks for any information you might have.
    I think its a great idea. As long as you have the proper insurance coverage n stuff. I wouldn't worry bout a tv, just get your equipment in order. Thats what they are there for, to train. I have seen some people do this very thing in the post your pics of workout equipment in the forum section here. Most people turn their garage into a gym but if you have enough room a basement should work just fine. As long as you can get enough clients. I know of some trainers that train their clients in a public park.... Hey, what ever works!

akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it's a great idea. I did a similiar thing in my garage and it's been very successful the past several years. My clients love the private atmosphere and it's allowed me to create unique relationships with each of them. I have constantly put money back into my studio so it looks inviting and professional- not just some dingy garage.

I have recieved nothing but positive feedback from clients and friends. I also have an awesome place to workout with low overhead and no drive time. You are essentially letting strangers (albeit temporary strangers) into your home and this does have an affect on your family. You want to always present a professional attitude just as you would if you worked out of a high end gym. Just be sure that your insurance and zoning stuff is in check and you should be good to go!
    NASM CPT, NFPT Master Trainer, Psychology Major
    www.figarellesfitness.com
    www.********.com/figarellesfitness
    https://twitter.com/stephfigarelle

pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not trying to be negative. I was a former licensed insurance agent and have seen what can go wrong. Better for you to know all the angles now instead of learning the hard way.

I've had a client haggle with me about customizations on a car to keep their premiums down. What do you know, it gets stolen and he wants to be compensated for a higher value.

A young male had just minimum liability on his auto (25k), causes a major accident and puts a woman in the hospital for over $100k in medical bills. Tries to blame us for selling him a minimum policy. Ya right, we're paid on commission so of course we're going to offer a more expensive policy with higher limits.

Originally Posted by pcproffy View Post
    Not trying to be negative. I was a former licensed insurance agent and have seen what can go wrong. Better for you to know all the angles now instead of learning the hard way.

I've had a client haggle with me about customizations on a car to keep their premiums down. What do you know, it gets stolen and he wants to be compensated for a higher value.

A young male had just minimum liability on his auto (25k), causes a major accident and puts a woman in the hospital for over $100k in medical bills. Tries to blame us for selling him a minimum policy. Ya right, we're paid on commission so of course we're going to offer a more expensive policy with higher limits.
    Thanks for the info.