makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do it yourself Almond/Peanut Butter? [will rep any help]

My local grocery store has recently dropped all natural natty PB (well the large 1Kg tub anyways). Been looking online and can see that I could simply make my own if I put the effort and time into it.

I made a batch today and it came out pretty good, however it doesn't taste the same as the store bought ones (even though their ingredients has ONLY peanuts listed).

Am I missing something? I didn't add any peanut oil as some instructions say (others say the oil will be released from the peanuts when you grind them), so wondering if it would taste better if I did add some peanut oil next time?

Any help would be appreciated.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What I've found is it turns out differently with what kind of nuts you use. I tryed using raw almonds and didn't like it. Using dry roasted almonds was better. But I found that my favorite was buying raw almonds and toasting them in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees before making the almond butter.
    It takes a long time, I've had it take 15 minutes to turn into he butter. It seems sometimes that its just going to stay powder. I don't add anything. I once added coconut oil for a flavor but I like the plain better.

makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) makavelipac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    What I've found is it turns out differently with what kind of nuts you use. I tryed using raw almonds and didn't like it. Using dry roasted almonds was better. But I found that my favorite was buying raw almonds and toasting them in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees before making the almond butter.
    It takes a long time, I've had it take 15 minutes to turn into he butter. It seems sometimes that its just going to stay powder. I don't add anything. I once added coconut oil for a flavor but I like the plain better.
    The batch I made today were dry roasted peanuts (unsalted). I dropped them into the food processor, and let it go. It was powdery at first, however as it let it go longer, it got creamier.

Never tried almond butter before, heard nothing but good things about them. Fair to assume they're just as healthy as peanuts are? Always passed up on them because of the cost (about $10 for a 400g container here)

cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ive noticed this too. every time i make peanut butter it has that earthy pure peanut taste, and it never tastes as good / quite like real peanut butter

i think it has to do with the type of peanut / and the preparation of it
    Vegan

"there are ZERO conclusive and definitive peer-reviewed studies proving detrimental effects of phytoestrogens in dietary soy intake"

liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cheeseandrice View Post
    ive noticed this too. every time i make peanut butter it has that earthy pure peanut taste, and it never tastes as good / quite like real peanut butter

i think it has to do with the type of peanut / and the preparation of it
    Pretty much always needs salt. You can either add your own or buy salted peanuts. If the nuts are dry roasted I would also add some olive oil.

This: http://www.thermomix.com.au/01-productprofile.html is the bomb-diggity for making PB... NASA space age technology in a blender!

Originally Posted by liammccarthy View Post
    Pretty much always needs salt. You can either add your own or buy salted peanuts. If the nuts are dry roasted I would also add some olive oil.

This: http://www.thermomix.com.au/01-productprofile.html is the bomb-diggity for making PB... NASA space age technology in a blender!
    The peanut butter I used to buy (natural) indicates zero grams of salt, it's not listed in the ingredients either.

The difference in taste is probably what the earlier user mentions, something to do with the type of peanuts used.

Wondering if almond butter will work better.