Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jdiritto View Post
    I love how any joe shmoe can claim to be an expert on the internet and make their own training program up and present it as if it is the spoken truth..

goodluck to everyone taking advice from these individuals. I would love to have my oppoenents training with anyone of these programs
    best, jd
    That's awesome bro. Anyone can also come in and say what you say because they don't have any sort of technical explanation for anything, and just sit there and type out claims they make.

You should also keep in mind the majority of individuals coming in here, have no clue how to get faster and would spend all their time doing random lifts and doing a few runs here and there hoping to get faster.

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They should seek a qualified expert in person, not someone on a message board.

secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    They should seek a qualified expert in person, not someone on a message board.
    Good luck setting up a Q&A with someone who you consider "qualified." Better get your wallet out and cross your fingers that they are really qualified.

CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love how any joe shmoe can claim to be an expert on the internet and make their own training program up and present it as if it is the spoken truth..

goodluck to everyone taking advice from these individuals. I would love to have my oppoenents training with anyone of these programs
    best, jd
    While I agree, I wouldn't say Tom Mutaffis is some Joe Shmoe. If in fact you think he is then you are pretty unaware imo.

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by CYTX View Post
    While I agree, I wouldn't say Tom Mutaffis is some Joe Shmoe. If in fact you think he is then you are pretty unaware imo.
    I've remained silent on this thread since it was first posted, but I have to weigh in.

Tom is a great strongman, there's no denying that, but what's his track record (pun intended) at making athletes faster? I respect him as a strongman and mean him no disrespect by this, but his program was vague and lacked the thing that's most important to becoming faster: Running. There was only one day of running/week in his program. It was a simple westside template with some plyos and GPP thrown in. If you're a regular guy who doesn't train and is just trying to get a bit faster for rec league softball, this would do the trick. If you're a trained athlete playing a sport where speed is essential, it's not going to do anything for you.

There was no resistance work, no overspeed work, no footspeed/frequency work, no speed endurance work . . . nothing a speed specific workout should have. While I agree 100% that increasing your strength will do wonders to increase your speed, it's not a magic powder you can sprinkle on you and make you faster. You have to learn how to apply your strength so that it propels you faster. That is where the speed specific work enters the equation. That was neglected in the initial progam.

If I'm looking to be a better strongman, I'd be stupid not to get Tom's input. I'm in Minnesota and have the incredible fortune to train with some of the top elite strongmen in the world, but I don't go to them for my speed training for a reason. I pay big $$$ to go to a center that specializes in making athletes faster.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ihprop1: The OP did not say this was a speed specific template. He even says so in one of the posts. Please don't let SL3's fixation on track sprinters programs cloud things.

CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Ihprop1: The OP did not say this was a speed specific template. He even says so in one of the posts. Please don't let SL3's fixation on track sprinters programs cloud things.
    I agree here. Sure it may not be the best way to train specifically for speed but as an offseason football program I think it looks just fine. In my opinion too many kids (football players) these days spend to much time in training programs that are geared toward running and not enough time in the weight room getting stronger. Thats the way it is in my area anyway.

Ihprop1 - No fair, your truck is bigger than mine

Registered User bigbuffandblack's Avatar
    bigbuffandblack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think running 3 times per week would be optimal for recovery and adequate for building speed
    Failure is always an option. But it should never be your decision!

Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post
    I've remained silent on this thread since it was first posted, but I have to weigh in.

Tom is a great strongman, there's no denying that, but what's his track record (pun intended) at making athletes faster? I respect him as a strongman and mean him no disrespect by this, but his program was vague and lacked the thing that's most important to becoming faster: Running. There was only one day of running/week in his program. It was a simple westside template with some plyos and GPP thrown in. If you're a regular guy who doesn't train and is just trying to get a bit faster for rec league softball, this would do the trick. If you're a trained athlete playing a sport where speed is essential, it's not going to do anything for you.

There was no resistance work, no overspeed work, no footspeed/frequency work, no speed endurance work . . . nothing a speed specific workout should have. While I agree 100% that increasing your strength will do wonders to increase your speed, it's not a magic powder you can sprinkle on you and make you faster. You have to learn how to apply your strength so that it propels you faster. That is where the speed specific work enters the equation. That was neglected in the initial progam.

If I'm looking to be a better strongman, I'd be stupid not to get Tom's input. I'm in Minnesota and have the incredible fortune to train with some of the top elite strongmen in the world, but I don't go to them for my speed training for a reason. I pay big $$$ to go to a center that specializes in making athletes faster.
    Good post.

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    If the goal is football GPP training, the program certainly doesn't have enough speed related work.

Originally Posted by CYTX View Post
    I agree here. Sure it may not be the best way to train specifically for speed but as an offseason football program I think it looks just fine. In my opinion too many kids (football players) these days spend to much time in training programs that are geared toward running and not enough time in the weight room getting stronger. Thats the way it is in my area anyway.

Ihprop1 - No fair, your truck is bigger than mine
    Running of what sort though? Repeated runs with no specific goal other than "get in shape?" Certainly that's what kids in a lot of areas including mine do. But regardless, more sprinting is required to increase speed + increase power by developing your CNS.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good God SL3 are you so ignorant of how to train people that you don't know what a template is. The OP said it was not a speed specific template that means speed training is not the top priority in it.
    Remimber its a TEMPLATE not a specific routine with fixed reps and sets ect...
    As for football the TEMPLATE has more then enought varibility in it to work just fine for the high school athlete. Once again you wil notice I said high school athlete meaning novice not intermidiate or advanced.