Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Athlete Speed / Power Training Program (By Tom Mutaffis)

Here is a template that I put together for high school athlete; I figured that I would share it here as well in case anyone is looking for a new template.

Tom Mutaffis Speed / Power Program:

Monday:
    Morning - Sprints
    Afternoon - Weight Training (Upper Body / Pressing + Accessory Work)

Tuesday:
    Afternoon - Weight Training (Lower Body / ME Squat + RE/DE Deadlift)

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Morning - Plyometrics
    Afternoon - Weight Training (Upper Body / Back + Accessory Work)

Friday:
    Afternoon - Weight Training (Lower Body / DE Squat + Accessory Work)

Saturday:
    Morning - GPP/Conditioning (Car Push, Sled Drag, Etc.)

Sunday:
    Rest

If anyone has questions on specific workouts or exercises just let me know.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500) dolphinsfan270 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    Here is a template that I put together for high school athlete; I figured that I would share it here as well in case anyone is looking for a new template.

Monday:
    Morning - Sprints

Tuesday:

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Morning - Plyometrics

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:
    Rest

Looks like a really good workout, my only question is what would be a sample plyometric workout? And this seems like to much volume, with 5 days a week and almost half are 2 adays
    Last edited by dolphinsfan270; 06-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Age- 15
    Height-6 foot 3
    Weight-208
    Bodyfat- 7.5 %
    Box Squat-375
    Bench Press-255

secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)

Monday:
    Morning - Sprints

Tuesday:

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Morning - Plyometrics

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:
    Rest

Why is there only one day of speed work? And why is there 5 high intensity CNS days? And why's the lower body lifting done on their own days?

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dolphinsfan270 View Post
    Looks like a really good workout, my only question is what would be a sample plyometric workout? And this seems like to much volume, with 5 days a week and almost half are 2 adays
    Perhaps I should have included the specific workouts; on days when you are training twice you are spending 1/2 hour doing conditioning or plyometrics and then about 1/2 hour in the gym.

This program is esentially (4) regular training days and a conditioning day with two days of complete rest; most people can easily manage this volume.

Originally Posted by secretlifter3 View Post
    Why is there only one day of speed work? And why is there 5 high intensity CNS days? And why's the lower body lifting done on their own days?
    This is an off-season training program and with the other lower body training it would not be beneficial to sprint all of the time. Sprints are a good way to test your progress and work on technique but the GPP, Plyometrics, and Weight Training are what will really help you to build speed. When in-season your legs take a beating and doing a lot of intense running year-round can stall your progress.

I am not sure what you mean by "high intensity CNS days"? There is really only one demanding workout and that is your ME squat day.

Lower body training in general is more demanding than upper body training which is why it is seperated; it also requires a completely different warm-up protocol. Because the DE session is not very demanding you could combine that with one of the upper body sessions with a morning/afternoon split if you wanted, which would give you a (4) day per week training program as opposed to (5).

If you would like I can post up specific details on what each workout might entail - this could give a better idea of the overall intensity and volume of the program.

secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000) secretlifter3 is just really nice. (+1000)

This is an off-season training program and with the other lower body training it would not be beneficial to sprint all of the time. Sprints are a good way to test your progress and work on technique but the GPP, Plyometrics, and Weight Training are what will really help you to build speed. When in-season your legs take a beating and doing a lot of intense running year-round can stall your progress.

I am not sure what you mean by "high intensity CNS days"? There is really only one demanding workout and that is your ME squat day.

Lower body training in general is more demanding than upper body training which is why it is seperated; it also requires a completely different warm-up protocol. Because the DE session is not very demanding you could combine that with one of the upper body sessions with a morning/afternoon split if you wanted, which would give you a (4) day per week training program as opposed to (5).

If you would like I can post up specific details on what each workout might entail - this could give a better idea of the overall intensity and volume of the program.
    If the goal of a program is to get faster, then sprint training needs to be done more than once per week... After a season is done, someone rests about 2-3 weeks completely and should be fully recovered by that point. It actually is beneficial to sprint 2-3x per week as opposed to once.

Could you explain to me how in a GPP, plyos/weights help more with building speed than with sprinting itself? You're looking to build a good base, that I understand, hence GPP.
    But where's the hill sprints? sled sprints? Those are going to build specific speed strength. Hill sprints also have a lower eccentric load on the legs, which dont tax the legs as much.

No one's reccomending 3x per week flat speed work for a non track athlete's GPP, however doing things which are actually more specific to sprinting, such as sleds and hills, (combined with flat sprints) will = better results vs. doing sprints once per week, and tons of plyos/weights. How will the CNS adapt? The neural imprints will be non existent because there's not enough flat out speed work being done.

If you dont understand high intensity CNS work vs. medium intensity vs. low intensity, you will not fully understand how a program should be structured.
    The CNS takes 48 hours approx. to recover optimally from high intensity CNS work, during this time low or medium intensity work can be done.

What counts as high intensity CNS work:

Sprints
    Plyos (high intensity ones)
    Heavy lower body work

Medium intensity:

Running at 80-95% speed
    Upper body heavy lifting

Low intensity:

Running at 75% or slower
    ab work
    light weight exercises
    low intensity plyos (ex. hops)

If you're constantly taxing your CNS with doing heavy legs on one day and sprints the next and plyos the next, when will your CNS recover and adapt to the work being done? Sure improvements will come, but are they coming as best they can? definitely not...

Now on the topic of dynamic effort lower body lifting, that actually can be as taxing on the CNS depending on the exact load and how fast the bar is moving. In other words, 80% load can be as intense as 85-90%.

You have to remember that recovery, work load, intensity is not judged by how your muscles feel... your central nervous system and muscular system will not have equal recovery rates.

If the goal of a program is to get faster, then sprint training needs to be done more than once per week... After a season is done, someone rests about 2-3 weeks completely and should be fully recovered by that point. It actually is beneficial to sprint 2-3x per week as opposed to once.

Could you explain to me how in a GPP, plyos/weights help more with building speed than with sprinting itself? You're looking to build a good base, that I understand, hence GPP.
    But where's the hill sprints? sled sprints? Those are going to build specific speed strength. Hill sprints also have a lower eccentric load on the legs, which dont tax the legs as much.

No one's reccomending 3x per week flat speed work for a non track athlete's GPP, however doing things which are actually more specific to sprinting, such as sleds and hills, (combined with flat sprints) will = better results vs. doing sprints once per week, and tons of plyos/weights. How will the CNS adapt? The neural imprints will be non existent because there's not enough flat out speed work being done.

If you dont understand high intensity CNS work vs. medium intensity vs. low intensity, you will not fully understand how a program should be structured.
    The CNS takes 48 hours approx. to recover optimally from high intensity CNS work, during this time low or medium intensity work can be done.

Sprints
    Heavy lower body work

Medium intensity:

Running at 80-95% speed
    Upper body heavy lifting

Low intensity:

Running at 75% or slower
    ab work
    light weight exercises

If you're constantly taxing your CNS with doing heavy legs on one day and sprints the next and plyos the next, when will your CNS recover and adapt to the work being done? Sure improvements will come, but are they coming as best they can? definitely not...

Now on the topic of dynamic effort lower body lifting, that actually can be as taxing on the CNS depending on the exact load and how fast the bar is moving. In other words, 80% load can be as intense as 85-90%.

You have to remember that recovery, work load, intensity is not judged by how your muscles feel... your central nervous system and muscular system will not have equal recovery rates.
    Thank you for the thorough response.

It looks like you are taking a template and making assumptions about the training in order to criticize the program. There is no mention of specific intensity of each workout, there is an ME lower body day and a sprint workout - so that would be two 'high intensity' CNS days. If someone cannot handle two intense training days per week then they probably have no business playing competitive sports.

The template that was posted also does not mention what specific exercises are performed during the GPP/Conditioning day. In fact since this is a speed-focused program I would recommend sled work, hill work, etc. - perhaps I should have called in 'sprint assistance' to avoid confusion.

I can appreciate your concern about lower body training frequency; but as I mentioned above only two of the workouts are 'high intensity'. If someone is working with 80% for their 'DE' workouts then they are not doing DE work; Westside defines it as 45-65%.

Most of the questions or concerns in this thread have come about because there are not specific workouts provided, so I will try to take some time later to sit down and write up a full program.

redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sprints
    Heavy lower body work

Medium intensity:

Running at 80-95% speed
    Upper body heavy lifting

Low intensity:

Running at 75% or slower
    ab work
    light weight exercises

I'm having trouble understanding your point, at one end you state that more 'high intensity' days of sprinting should be included, but you are also attacking the program because it has, what you claim (5) high intensity CNS days already. But I'll try to answer your point about CNS fatigue.

The CNS would adapt through the constant training, just like every other part of your body.

I hate to use such a basic example, but take a construction worker. On his first day on the job he can probably barely get through the day, struggling moving concrete blocks and wood and using the heavy machinery. Can he take the next day off? No, because he would lose his job. Eventually his body will adapt to the demands that his work in placing on it.

The same thing can be applied to the bulgarian training methods. How can they focus on the back squat, clean & press, snatch etc. for 6-7 days a week @ 90-100%. Every day they do heavy singles because their body, their muscles, and their CNS will adapt.

I don't think that more than one session dedicated to speed work is necessary to increase one's speed, just like I don't think you have to attack your squat 3x a week to increase your max. However I would add in additional sprinting session throughout the week (in fact I follow a program similar to this and I do) on top of the EXISTING schedule.

Thank you for the thorough response.

It looks like you are taking a template and making assumptions about the training in order to criticize the program. There is no mention of specific intensity of each workout, there is an ME lower body day and a sprint workout - so that would be two 'high intensity' CNS days. If someone cannot handle two intense training days per week then they probably have no business playing competitive sports.

The template that was posted also does not mention what specific exercises are performed during the GPP/Conditioning day. In fact since this is a speed-focused program I would recommend sled work, hill work, etc. - perhaps I should have called in 'sprint assistance' to avoid confusion.

I can appreciate your concern about lower body training frequency; but as I mentioned above only two of the workouts are 'high intensity'. If someone is working with 80% for their 'DE' workouts then they are not doing DE work; Westside defines it as 45-65%.

Most of the questions or concerns in this thread have come about because there are not specific workouts provided, so I will try to take some time later to sit down and write up a full program.
    You are forgetting that plyometrics are counted as high intensity work by any definition, unless the person is jump roping or doing random hops. Dynamic effort lifting at 45-65%, isnt as intense as sprinting, lifting above 85-90%, plyometrics, but it provides enough neural stimulation to be in the high intensity zone, and not medium intensity.

Hill sprints, sled sprints, and all that, are also high intensity work, due to the level of neural stimulation. Hill sprints although, arent as intense as regular sprints due to the lower eccentric stress.

Originally Posted by redstriped View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding your point, at one end you state that more 'high intensity' days of sprinting should be included, but you are also attacking the program because it has, what you claim (5) high intensity CNS days already. But I'll try to answer your point about CNS fatigue.

The CNS would adapt through the constant training, just like every other part of your body.

I hate to use such a basic example, but take a construction worker. On his first day on the job he can probably barely get through the day, struggling moving concrete blocks and wood and using the heavy machinery. Can he take the next day off? No, because he would lose his job. Eventually his body will adapt to the demands that his work in placing on it.

The same thing can be applied to the bulgarian training methods. How can they focus on the back squat, clean & press, snatch etc. for 6-7 days a week @ 90-100%. Every day they do heavy singles because their body, their muscles, and their CNS will adapt.

I don't think that more than one session dedicated to speed work is necessary to increase one's speed, just like I don't think you have to attack your squat 3x a week to increase your max. However I would add in additional sprinting session throughout the week (in fact I follow a program similar to this and I do) on top of the EXISTING schedule.
    You copy pasted that from a thread in the misc about lifting heavy every day, correct?

What is the goal here? To become an olympic weight lifter, or a powerlifter, with regular drug use to get as big and strong as possible? Or to improve at your sport?

If you know the Smolov squat program, it works pretty well for someone who does nothing else and their goal is to increase their squat PB. But would I ever tell a sprinter to do that? hell no!

Your construction worker example works, in that situation. Similarly, I bodybuild for a few weeks at a time every year, 6x per week. I also lift 5x per week after that for 6 weeks or so. Do I overtrain? nope. I'm doing only a little bit of running until the last 2 weeks, and my body only has to recover from one thing.

If you're doing sprints, plyos, heavy lifting, don't expect to get BEST results from doing so much.

I did say that more sprint work is needed, not more high intensity work. 3 days of high intensity + 1 medium intensity day should be the general top limit. Anymore than that, and your body will not give you back the results that you're looking for. It's one thing to be able to get through training sessions, and another thing to actually get best results from them.

I could go out and sprint repeat 400s and 200s until I puke. Then do it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that too. I'm getting through those sessions, but am I getting any real results? hmm...

Also, I would like to point out that 1x per week sprinting, is NOT enough to improve speed at your best. Can you improve off that, combined with plyos/lifting? yes. Will you get a lot faster doing 3x per week sprint training, definitely yes.

redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redstriped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You copy pasted that from a thread in the misc about lifting heavy every day, correct?

What is the goal here? To become an olympic weight lifter, or a powerlifter, with regular drug use to get as big and strong as possible? Or to improve at your sport?

If you know the Smolov squat program, it works pretty well for someone who does nothing else and their goal is to increase their squat PB. But would I ever tell a sprinter to do that? hell no!

Your construction worker example works, in that situation. Similarly, I bodybuild for a few weeks at a time every year, 6x per week. I also lift 5x per week after that for 6 weeks or so. Do I overtrain? nope. I'm doing only a little bit of running until the last 2 weeks, and my body only has to recover from one thing.

If you're doing sprints, plyos, heavy lifting, don't expect to get BEST results from doing so much.

I did say that more sprint work is needed, not more high intensity work. 3 days of high intensity + 1 medium intensity day should be the general top limit. Anymore than that, and your body will not give you back the results that you're looking for. It's one thing to be able to get through training sessions, and another thing to actually get best results from them.

I could go out and sprint repeat 400s and 200s until I puke. Then do it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that too. I'm getting through those sessions, but am I getting any real results? hmm...

Also, I would like to point out that 1x per week sprinting, is NOT enough to improve speed at your best. Can you improve off that, combined with plyos/lifting? yes. Will you get a lot faster doing 3x per week sprint training, definitely yes.
    First, no it's not a copy job, I did hear that construction worker example in another thread though.

In regards to the bolded...
    That is the best combination, not all of us are track athletes. Sure I agree that track athletes don't need to run SMOLOV or spend the majority of their time in the gym, however I am a competive PL'er and a rugby player. I ran SMOLOV in the off-season a few years ago and saw my squat go from 315 to 405, and then ran Westside with conditioning on top of that. The following season I had no trouble taking on 1 vs. 2 rucks, and winning. I had no trouble mauling a player to the try-line.

I agree with you that the gym shouldn't be the main focus, but the track shouldn't be either, especially not focusing on flat speed linearly. To be a complete athlete you need heavy lifting + plyos + conditioning & track work + sport skill.

EDIT:
    Obviously if your lifting heavy, doing plyos, and sprinting you could have gotten stronger if you just focused on lifting, you could have gotten faster if you sprinted more, etc. But you are becoming a better athlete by encompassing all those aspects of training.

Originally Posted by redstriped View Post
    First, no it's not a copy job, I did hear that construction worker example in another thread though.

In regards to the bolded...
    That is the best combination, not all of us are track athletes. Sure I agree that track athletes don't need to run SMOLOV or spend the majority of their time in the gym, however I am a competive PL'er and a rugby player. I ran SMOLOV in the off-season a few years ago and saw my squat go from 315 to 405, and then ran Westside with conditioning on top of that. The following season I had no trouble taking on 1 vs. 2 rucks, and winning. I had no trouble mauling a player to the try-line.

I agree with you that the gym shouldn't be the main focus, but the track shouldn't be either, especially not focusing on flat speed linearly. To be a complete athlete you need heavy lifting + plyos + conditioning & track work + sport skill.

EDIT:
    Obviously if your lifting heavy, doing plyos, and sprinting you could have gotten stronger if you just focused on lifting, you could have gotten faster if you sprinted more, etc. But you are becoming a better athlete by encompassing all those aspects of training.
    What you bolded wasnt worded correctly. What I really meant to say was that having such a high volume of work in your program, will not allow for the best adaptation. You're not going to produce the best elastic power or highest running velocity by overworking yourself in the speed/power department.

If you're a competitive powerlifter, that changes things up big time. But what if you're a wide reciever playing football? Or a soccer player? or a running back? or a cornerback? or a winger in hockey? That's all going to change things up.

Depending on what position you play and the sport, more or less speed is needed, more or less strength is needed, more or less power is needed. It varies.

mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I would greatly appreciate this as i am looking for a progressive program that entails plyometrics, weight sessions and gpp work.

Originally Posted by mountainbeaver View Post
    I would greatly appreciate this as i am looking for a progressive program that entails plyometrics, weight sessions and gpp work.
    What's your sport?

mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountainbeaver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What's your sport?
    Olympic lifting, but the thing is i want to take a break for a while and increase my gpp while still maintaining or maybe increasing my power.

Olympic lifting, but the thing is i want to take a break for a while and increase my gpp while still maintaining or maybe increasing my power.
    Then the above program would be good for you to look at. Try getting in lots of sled sprints, heavy throws, and high intensity plyos.

potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are high intensity plyos? And if we do not have access to a sled is a parachute fine?
    Should I stop worrying about all these workouts and just do the advanced off season football workout? Because I just want to become a beast at wide receiver haha

bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    high intensity plyos are box jumps, depth jumps, box squat jumps, practicing vertical test, broad jumps. You can add weighted vest or db's to them. Anytime your jumping onto a box its a good thing. If your doing any kind of box jump or high intensity plyos usually 5-8 sets 1-3 reps is good.

noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If this is for high school athletes then why is there morning and afternoon?
    Stats: Start/Current/Goal

Decline Bench: 75/95/185
    Flat Bench Press: 75/95/175
    Squat: 65/95/205
    Deadlift: 105/95/195
    Bicep Curl: 10/20/45
    Barbell Curl: 20/40/80
    Bent-Over Row: 20/40/80
    Lat Pulldown: 30/60/90
    Triceps Pulldown: 20/40/80
    Overhead Press: 20/45/80
    Reverse-Grip Curl: 10/20/60
    Wrist Curls: 20/40/90
    BulGarian Split Squats 10ea/20ea/50ea
    Barbell Shrugs: 20/40/90
    Pullups: 10/10/40
    Front Squat: ?/?/180
    Shoulder Raises: 5/15/50
    Sitting Calf Raise: 35/55/90

Originally Posted by potential420 View Post
    What are high intensity plyos? And if we do not have access to a sled is a parachute fine?
    Should I stop worrying about all these workouts and just do the advanced off season football workout? Because I just want to become a beast at wide receiver haha
    Depth jumps, broad jumps, bounding, double leg bounds, hurdle jumps, sitff legged jumps, box jumps.

Parachutes arent so good for sprint form due to the uneven resistance. I say stay away from parachutes, and if you cant build your own sled (belt + rope + weighted plate)? Then just find hills and do them instead.

But being a wide reciever, you want to be doing some work in the 40-60m zone (sprints) with full recovery, with your cleats, full speed, etc. 1-2x per week, and doing your acceleration work (hills, shorter sprints) 1-2x per week as well.

Plyos/weights come on top of all that.

Originally Posted by bigguy64 View Post
    high intensity plyos are box jumps, depth jumps, box squat jumps, practicing vertical test, broad jumps. You can add weighted vest or db's to them. Anytime your jumping onto a box its a good thing. If your doing any kind of box jump or high intensity plyos usually 5-8 sets 1-3 reps is good.
    Reps/sets varies by exercise too, if you're doing bounding, you're hitting 8-10 reps per set (if you're bounding over 20m). If you're doing a broad jump.. well that's 1.

Originally Posted by noonan1994 View Post
    If this is for high school athletes then why is there morning and afternoon?
    high intensity work must be kept on the same days, for that reason, you'd do sprints/plyos first, then weights later on.

Then the above program would be good for you to look at. Try getting in lots of sled sprints, heavy throws, and high intensity plyos.
    I have a tire and a vest for sled sprints but all i have for throwing is one 12 lbs medicine ball. Would this be good enough for throwing?

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do not like the bodybuilding-esque split for optimally developing physical parameters in athletics. In my opinion it should be avoided at all levels of sport performance training, especially during youth/adolescence when it is imperative to develop the co-ordination of the entire neuro-muscular system taking advantage of the high levels of plasticity.
    best,jd

I have a tire and a vest for sled sprints but all i have for throwing is one 12 lbs medicine ball. Would this be good enough for throwing?
    A tire is great. Dont use the vest.... unless you're going to wear it while doing drills which would be good.

And a 12 pound medicine ball is excellent for throws, look up different med ball throws on google. Your focus should be improving your jump squat throw and backward throw.

potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) potential420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depth jumps, broad jumps, bounding, double leg bounds, hurdle jumps, sitff legged jumps, box jumps.

Parachutes arent so good for sprint form due to the uneven resistance. I say stay away from parachutes, and if you cant build your own sled (belt + rope + weighted plate)? Then just find hills and do them instead.

But being a wide reciever, you want to be doing some work in the 40-60m zone (sprints) with full recovery, with your cleats, full speed, etc. 1-2x per week, and doing your acceleration work (hills, shorter sprints) 1-2x per week as well.

Plyos/weights come on top of all that.
    Thank you for the advice on the parachute i think ill stay away from it.
    But on your thread I was reading it and you said itd be better to run on track for the football field?
    Also I was planning on trying your workout you posted, but should I just do 40-60m sprints instead?

Originally Posted by jdiritto View Post
    I do not like the bodybuilding-esque split for optimally developing physical parameters in athletics. In my opinion it should be avoided at all levels of sport performance training, especially during youth/adolescence when it is imperative to develop the co-ordination of the entire neuro-muscular system taking advantage of the high levels of plasticity.
    best,jd
    Bodybuilding type training is a good precursor to maximum strength development. I always find it best to go through a phase of circuit format bodybuilding training, doing a lot of machine and isolation exercises (on top of the major lifts). And then going through a phase of upper/lower body splits, with bodybuilding style lifting (higher reps, more exercises). then going to maximum strength work.

This method works well, keeping in mind the main exercises (ex. squat, bench) are done during this entire time.

Thank you for the advice on the parachute i think ill stay away from it.
    But on your thread I was reading it and you said itd be better to run on track for the football field?
    Also I was planning on trying your workout you posted, but should I just do 40-60m sprints instead?
    If you have track spikes, then run on a track because your goal in training linear speed is to get as high of an intensity as possible. So you'll also want a tailwind behind your back (never run into the wind).

If you dont have spikes, wear your cleats and run on the most maintained/cut grass. Again, wind behind you, and if there's any slight downhill slope, always run down and not up!

And what workout are you referring to?

If you have track spikes, then run on a track because your goal in training linear speed is to get as high of an intensity as possible. So you'll also want a tailwind behind your back (never run into the wind).

If you dont have spikes, wear your cleats and run on the most maintained/cut grass. Again, wind behind you, and if there's any slight downhill slope, always run down and not up!

And what workout are you referring to?
    Hey can you help me come up with a workout plan to help me run faster for football? I get confused because im trying to talk to you on like three different threads. I'll PM you.

Hey can you help me come up with a workout plan to help me run faster for football? I get confused because im trying to talk to you on like three different threads. I'll PM you.
    You need to read through my thread (my Q&A). Look at the weekly set ups I gave.

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I love how any joe shmoe can claim to be an expert on the internet and make their own training program up and present it as if it is the spoken truth..

goodluck to everyone taking advice from these individuals. I would love to have my oppoenents training with anyone of these programs
    best, jd