Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Viper098 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What is your rest period between sets?

I rest anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes between sets depending on the exercise and 2 minutes between exercises. I know people who rest 5 minutes between sets and 6-8 minutes between exercises. I feel the latter is too long and I would be afraid of a cool down.

I know some exercises like my barbell bench used to be 2 minutes but is now 3 minutes as it gets heavier. However, my squat is still two minutes but I am sure will creep up one day. However I do not want to ever rest more than 4 minutes between reps.

What do you do?
    Viper098

dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I guess the answer would depend on the number of reps and sets you're doing to an extent.

I'm doing 5x5, which starts light and gets really heavy for the last set, and my rest for the 4 breaks between sets is 1min, 2mins, 3mins and 4minutes. At the heaviest weight i can do for a final set, any less than 4 minutes and I just wouldn't be ready to lift it.

I suppose the answer could be, long enough that you're ready to complete the next lift you have planned. There's no point cutting rest periods short to get intensity if you fail to complete the lift you wanted.

So I say, 'Lifting Target Weight' is more important than 'Rest Period Between Sets'. If you're finding that you feel you don't need more than a minutes rest shouldn't you be lifting more weight? Wouldn't that be more beneficial to you in the long run? Load on the muscle fibres is surely more important than building muscular stamina.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It depends upon the lift you are doing and your goals. It is also going to vary person to person; that is, some people have better endurance and recharge more quickly than others.

Personally, I find that I respond best when I take the minimum amount of time necessary to rest between sets. Again, that minimum time is going to vary based on the lift. I will experiment to see if I really need all of the time I may think and will challenge myself to see if I can do the next set sooner rather than later. Often I surprise myself and this often leads to some great workouts. Sometimes I find that I need to take more rest. The gym is a great lab.

Having said all that, unless you are doing some max out singles or very low reps with high weight, I think that 4 minutes between sets is too long a time between sets. That sounds like it would lead to an exceptionally long workout, which may lead to some cortisol risks.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dw300 View Post
    I'm doing 5x5, which starts light and gets really heavy for the last set, and my rest for the 4 breaks between sets is 1min, 2mins, 3mins and 4minutes. At the heaviest weight i can do for a final set, any less than 4 minutes and I just wouldn't be ready to lift it.
    I work out doing 5 sets of 5 (self made program though) and start with 1min of rest and as the weights get heavier increase that to 2 mins.
    No more though cause I tend to cool down a lot, not just physically but mentally as well.
    After all I'm usually tired from work anyway so too long a rest period and I wanna go hit the bed.
    Not to mention I feel a strong urge for a smoke!
    Doing DB shoulder presses I wouldn't take more than a minute though, not that hard an exercise.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Here's a pretty good guideline for replenishing ATP between sets.

David

dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dw300 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just to clarify, I was reffering to my 5x5 which is almost entirely compounds. I wouldn't need to rest 4 mins for any iso or light weight exercise, just 5RM compounds.

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Here's a pretty good guideline for replenishing ATP between sets.

Thats a really odd graph ..

0-30 gives 50% recharge
    31-60 gives 25%
    61-90 gives 12%
    91-120 gives 3%
    121-180 gives 10%

Not sure those last 2 are quite right.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just to clarify, I was reffering to my 5x5 which is almost entirely compounds. I wouldn't need to rest 4 mins for any iso or light weight exercise, just 5RM compounds.

0-30 gives 50% recharge
    31-60 gives 25%
    61-90 gives 12%
    91-120 gives 3%
    121-180 gives 10%

I would say that a 4 minute rest on a 5x5 seems long to me. I like the 5x5, and when I do it, I do it at a constant weight for each of the 5 sets. I take no more than 2 minutes between sets, and that feels very long to me.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50) Headshrink will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Viper098 View Post
    I rest anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes between sets depending on the exercise and 2 minutes between exercises. I know people who rest 5 minutes between sets and 6-8 minutes between exercises. I feel the latter is too long and I would be afraid of a cool down.

I know some exercises like my barbell bench used to be 2 minutes but is now 3 minutes as it gets heavier. However, my squat is still two minutes but I am sure will creep up one day. However I do not want to ever rest more than 4 minutes between reps.

What do you do?
    Depends on how I am lifting. When I am lifting light I don't rest much or sometimes not at all and I will do opposing muscle group supersets. As of now I am training as heavy as I can and take 2-3 min. between sets. I would not have time to take any more rest than that.
    Natural or Nothing

More is not better, better is better.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    It depends upon the lift you are doing and your goals. It is also going to vary person to person; that is, some people have better endurance and recharge more quickly than others.

Personally, I find that I respond best when I take the minimum amount of time necessary to rest between sets. Again, that minimum time is going to vary based on the lift. I will experiment to see if I really need all of the time I may think and will challenge myself to see if I can do the next set sooner rather than later. Often I surprise myself and this often leads to some great workouts. Sometimes I find that I need to take more rest. The gym is a great lab.

Having said all that, unless you are doing some max out singles or very low reps with high weight, I think that 4 minutes between sets is too long a time between sets. That sounds like it would lead to an exceptionally long workout, which may lead to some cortisol risks.

Ray

the PASTOR made some great points here.....

now I will add this caveat: about your goals: this is definitely tied in with your age....

as we get older, and the OP is 45, the ability and amount of muscle that you can actually add on becomes limited, and as such, our goals should reflect that......

with that in mind, those of us approaching 50 and over, should be more concerned with HOW they look, and overall health....

with that in mind, 2 to 4 minute rests between sets is not the healthiest way to go......

you want to get the heart rate going, just like in Cardio, you want to sweat, and you want to get a workout done in a lesser amount of time.......

my rest periods are from 30 seconds to 1 minute, tops......

and I don't care what a chart says about my ATP regenerating: I force my body to find a way and it does.......

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For me it depends but I do 30 to 60 seconds a lot. On legs when I am at 12 reps per set I will rest 2 minutes or sometimes 3 but when I am up around 20 reps I do 5 at the most. I dont do strength training but if you do I would imagine that it makes a difference. IMO If you are trying to loose body fat I would suggest moving your rest to the shorter end of the spectrum. I am not suggesting you make weight training into an aerobic affair but there are benefits to shorter rests.

John you must type faster than me! But now I will add ATP? forget about biochemistry and lift the weights already.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In addition to Pastor and John, I'll throw in that with briefer rest periods, sleepy-time HGH tends to be higher as well as higher muscle fiber recruitment during exercise.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rob440 View Post
    John you must type faster than me! But now I will add ATP? forget about biochemistry and lift the weights already.

exactly!! the body is capable of adaptation....IF we push it towards that!

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    In addition to Pastor and John, I'll throw in that with briefer rest periods, sleepy-time HGH tends to be higher as well as higher muscle fiber recruitment during exercise.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I go with about 2 minutes between sets for the most part. The heavier the weight, the more I rest otherwise. I don't time anything, just go back for more when I think I'm ready.

BG
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) salatheel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to take long rests (3-4 minutes) and focus on increasing the weight lifted and I found that I was consistently getting stronger. I would hit each bodypart once a week then and that was optimal for building strength. That said now I train quite differently.

I move much faster between sets (30-60sec) and hit each bodypart every 5days. I also tend to use higher reps (10-15) and have found I get better overall developement this way. I am also having far less long term joint and tendon issues.

I am 45 and have been lifting since I was 13. I can't bench anymore because of tendonitis. I also ruptured 2 disks when squatting with over 500lbs 10 years ago. So I have learned to adapt.

This was my last chest workout.

Dips
    bodyweight warm up x 50 reps
    45lb x 30 reps
    70lbs x 20 reps
    90lbs x 15 reps
    90lbs x 12 reps

Incline flyes
    70's x 15
    70's x 15
    80's x 12
    80's x 12

Tris
    skull crushers
    120 x 20
    150x15
    165x12
    165x12

dumbell kickbacks
    40's x20
    40'sx15
    40's x15

I think when you know how to connect mentally on each set it is not nessacery to lift extremely heavy or long. You just must be able to mentally focus.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Viper098 View Post

What do you do?
    1,2, 5 and 15 minutes, depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

Never had a problem with "cooling off" since during the 15 minute intervals I do light cardio.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000)
    I usually take around one minute. Although I do count reps I am not depended on the number. I go until I can't go any longer. I do lift heavy and do three sets of everything adding weight per set. Depending on what I am doing will decide how many I do but i try to stay between 10 and 12 reps per set. Sometimes I don't make the goal on the last set.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)

0-30 gives 50% recharge
    31-60 gives 25%
    61-90 gives 12%
    91-120 gives 3%
    121-180 gives 10%

Yeah, I found a chart like that some time ago.
    However, I do think the trend is right. It seems to match personal experience and my own observations.
    An asymptotic recovery to 100%.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

0-30 gives 50% recharge
    31-60 gives 25%
    61-90 gives 12%
    91-120 gives 3%
    121-180 gives 10%

Not sure if you're having trouble reading the chart but 180 secs give you 100% recharge. Nothing that remotely resembles what you have written lol.
    David

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I quit watching the clock and just wait until my breathing returns to near-normal, then hit the next set. This 'method' is self-regulating, depending on the lift in question; more time between sets of Squats, for example, and less time between sets of, say, Lateral Raises.

IMO, the "80-20" rule applies here.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Not sure if you're having trouble reading the chart but 180 secs give you 100% recharge. Nothing that remotely resembles what you have written lol.
    He was referring to the incremental increase over the previous level

Originally Posted by thepainter5 View Post
    He was referring to the incremental increase over the previous level
    Gotcha.
    David

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    While there is acute increases in HGH because of the brief rest periods, I don't think that really does much because its so brief.
    Another thing against brief rest periods is that it may actually hinder progress depending on the person's conditioning.
    All that said, I like to mix it up but do lean towards briefer rest periods. And my joints definitely prefer briefer rest periods. The last 2 months, most of my upper body workouts has been 30 sec to 1 min max between sets at 10-15 reps. 90 seconds or more between super sets.
    Especially for most in this forum, for the reasons many already stated, briefer rest periods would be the way to go IF I had to choose one over the other.
    timbahwolffff on Instagram

CONTROLLED LABS - Winning the WAR against GENETICS
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.