yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100)

If you eat less calories and more protein, will you still get fat?

Obviously calories will get you fat in no-time. But they same the same about too much protein. If you eat a small amount of calories at 2x your weight in protein, will it still get you fat if you're lifting and doing cardio?

ebzlo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Weight is determined solely by Calories.

1g of protein = 4 Calories

"Protein gets you fat" is a bunch of crap, there's nothing special about Calories from protein.

Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Scooter4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have no idea where anyone got the idea that excess protein turns to fat. Excess CALORIES turn to fat.
    My Workout Log (NEW): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136142601
    My Website (IMPROVED): www.ScootersFitnessBlog.com

Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eating only in excess protein, still leads to fat gains.

Your body is adaptive...

yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100) yadrutas is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Scooter4 View Post
    I have no idea where anyone got the idea that excess protein turns to fat. Excess CALORIES turn to fat.
    I just googled "excess protein". Seems like most sites say it turns to fat. My question is, if I eat less calories, will the fat remain low because the calories are low to balance out the high protein?

Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by yadrutas View Post
    I just googled "excess protein". Seems like most sites say it turns to fat. My question is, if I eat less calories, will the fat remain low because the calories are low to balance out the high protein?
    I don't think you quite understand. If you look on a back of a label and it says 85 Calories, 5g protein, 5g carbs, 5g fat..

1g fat = 9 calories
    1g protein = 4 calories
    1g carbs = 4 calories

(5g fat + 5g protein + 5g carbs = 85 calories)

(45 calories + 20 calories + 20 calories + 85 calories)

See?

It doesnt matter what nutrient the calories come from. Calories are calories and weight is determined by total CALORIES

Originally Posted by Boojeah View Post
    I don't think you quite understand. If you look on a back of a label and it says 85 Calories, 5g protein, 5g carbs, 5g fat..

1g fat = 9 calories
    1g protein = 4 calories
    1g carbs = 4 calories

See?

It doesnt matter what nutrient the calories come from. Calories are calories and weight is determined by total CALORIES
    OK so you're telling me in the extreme case of if I eat only 1600 calories today, and 100% is from protein, I won't get fat.

Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Boojeah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    OK so you're telling me in the extreme case of if I eat only 1600 calories today, and 100% is from protein, I won't get fat.
    If your maintenance calories is 1500 and you eat 1600 cals of 100% protein you will still gain weight

Registered User xTheFormlessOne's Avatar
    xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Obviously calories will get you fat in no-time. But they same the same about too much protein. If you eat a small amount of calories at 2x your weight in protein, will it still get you fat if you're lifting and doing cardio?
    with my personal experience yes. I dont need anymore than 1 gram per pound or slightly more. Anymore, digestion efficiency decreases as my system gets bogged down. Excess protein has kept my bodyfat levels high for alot of years.

I have just recently lowered it big time. Recently I have gone for balance. I am not gaining any less and the bodyfat seems to be coming off. You have to use trial and error to see what your body needs and responds to.

xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xTheFormlessOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ebzlo View Post
    Weight is determined solely by Calories.

1g of protein = 4 Calories

"Protein gets you fat" is a bunch of crap, there's nothing special about Calories from protein.
    What about hormones? What about different hormonal responses to various foods? Not to mention variable responses among individuals?

Well, any protein that cannot be absorbed will not be contributing to muscle growth. So why eat exess?

1g fat = 9 calories
    1g protein = 4 calories
    1g carbs = 4 calories

See?

no its not determined solely by calories. Testosterone, estrogen, insulin, cortisol just to name a few.

If your maintenance calories is 1500 and you eat 1600 cals of 100% protein you will still gain weight
    What if your maintenance is 1600?

I thought so. So it's not all about calories. Excess protein seems to be prone to getting converted to fat. So I'm assuming that if you eat less calories than maintenance, but a lot more protein, likely, it can help you get more muscle if you use it efficiently by lifting a lot of weights, but any excess protein will make you fat... However, it's better than eating extra calories AND protein in terms of staying lean...?

FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FunkymonkAW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You won't get fat, assuming that your maintenance is over 1600cals. Granted, you'll have a whole host of other problems.
    PRs - Sq / B / D / Total
    Gym - 425 / 255 / 463 / -
    Meet - 413 / 248 / 463 / 1124 @ 220
    Meet - 391 / 242 / 468 / 1102 @ 181

I thought so. So it's not all about calories. Excess protein seems to be prone to getting converted to fat. So I'm assuming that if you eat less calories than maintenance, but a lot more protein, likely, it can help you get more muscle if you use it efficiently by lifting a lot of weights, but any excess protein will make you fat... However, it's better than eating extra calories AND protein in terms of staying lean...?
    look man. My personal theory is, and this is just my personal belief. That balance is always best. You want to strive for proper balance between protein/carbs/fat. If you are eating a reasonable amount of quality food and not growing. I would look next to at training form. Lifting weights needs to be done in such a way that actually uses the muscles, and thats not necessarily always going to be a consequence of lifting extremely heavy and merely moving weight from point a to point b.

Proper form and thus proper muscle damage will ensure nutrients are getting utelized and absorbed to there fullest potential. Again, muscles are only going to absorb so much protein. Anything on top of this, can cause digestive issues decreasing how well other nutrients and aminos will get absorbed. And get converted to energy and thus potentially fat.

your best bet is to eat small meals frequently throughout the day. Keep your portions small enough, and you should not have anything to worry about as far as fat spill over. And when i say small portions, its something that takes experience. Get used to eyeballing food and guestimating how much you need to eat to keep you full untill your next meal. Go for 6-8 meals a day.

these are all things that are theories of mine and things I have come to realize recently.

ebzlo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by xTheFormlessOne View Post
    no its not determined solely by calories. Testosterone, estrogen, insulin, cortisol just to name a few.
    This is all taken into account. Everyone's metabolic rate (metabolism) is different. It takes a bit of experimentation to find where yours is at, but at a certain weight, your body has a number of Calories it can take in to maintain weight. There are a number of formulas you can use to find this number and for the most part, they're pretty accurate.

Go under this number and you lose weight.
    Over and you gain.

It's that simple.

here is the key. You keep talking about "weight". I am not interested in weight.

I am interested in "BODY COMPOSITION"

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xTheFormlessOne View Post
    here is the key. You keep talking about "weight". I am not interested in weight.

I am interested in "BODY COMPOSITION"
    Agreed.

Weight is a number that doesn't take into account much. For example, bone density (which obviously will matter based on age).

Personally, I care about how my body is formed and where the weight is distributed rather than a number.

The number is just to give an indicator.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    While the pathways exist to allow protein to be converted to fat, it is an extreme rarity. What happens is a shift in energy usage by the body. Take for instance you eat a large surplus of protein and fat. Your body will preferably store the dietary fat and use the protein for energy.

That is a VERY basic example but in essence, how it works.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post
    While the pathways exist to allow protein to be converted to fat, it is an extreme rarity. What happens is a shift in energy usage by the body. Take for instance you eat a large surplus of protein and fat. Your body will preferably store the dietary fat and use the protein for energy.

That is a VERY basic example but in essence, how it works.

ya, while in normal individuals, its very rare for protein to get converted to fat. But when you have kids not working out properly and eating an irresponsible amount of protein, it becomes easier and easier to convert to fat. (i'm a past offender of this by the way)