james4848 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Starting Strength and GOMAD... without a gym?

Hey, I'm too skinny and want to do SS/GOMAD over the summer (3 months) and can't go to a gym until after summer. I have the following equipment:

-Barbell - 125kg
    -Barbell bench
    -Pull up bar
    -(Dumbbells)

Will I still be able to gain muscle over the next 3 months using SS and GOMAD with this equipment?

What am I missing that I would have in a gym for SS?

THANK YOU.

jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jb4476 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by james4848 View Post
    Hey, I'm too skinny and want to do SS/GOMAD over the summer (3 months) and can't go to a gym until after summer. I have the following equipment:

-Barbell - 125kg
    -Barbell bench
    -Pull up bar
    -(Dumbbells)

Will I still be able to gain muscle over the next 3 months using SS and GOMAD with this equipment?

THANK YOU.
    You need a squat rack.

You don't need the DBs.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

-Barbell - 125kg
    -Barbell bench
    -Pull up bar
    -(Dumbbells)

THANK YOU.
    You can't do SS, no, since that particular program is based around the squat. And GOMAD wouldn't be advisable in the absence of the rapid squat gains.

But you can still get bigger and stronger with what you have, so don't worry about it. Something like this would be a very reasonable & effective sub in the circumstances, accompanied by about half GOMAD.

~A
    Deadlift 2x5
    Press 3x5
    Chin ups 3x5 (weighted when you can)
    Lateral raises 4x5-15 reps (lower and raise the rep ranges as needed when transitioning from 1 DB from another)

B)
    DB Lunges (progress how you can with the DBs available whether by poundage of reps)
    Bench Press 3x5
    BB rows 3x5
    Curls 4x10
    Last edited by Hut*Hut; 06-15-2010 at 07:45 AM.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Originally Posted by Hut*Hut View Post
    You can't do SS, no. And GOMAD wouldn't be advisable in the absence of the rapid squat gains.

Something like this would be a very reasonable & effective sub in the circumstances, accompanied by about half GOMAD.

~A
    Deadlift 2x5
    Press 3x5
    Chin ups 3x5 (weighted when you can)
    Lateral raises 4x5-15 reps (lower and raise the rep ranges as needed when transitioning from 1 DB from another)

B)
    DB Lunges (progress how you can with the DBs available whether by poundage of reps)
    Bench Press 3x5
    BB rows 3x5
    Curls 4x10
    Hey man, thank you very much for the program.

Just wondering, is the reason I can't do SS because of not having a squat rack like the guy above said?

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey man, thank you very much for the program.

Just wondering, is the reason I can't do SS because of not having a squat rack like the guy above said?
    Yeah. Without a squat rack you'll have to clean what you squat onto your back. This may be OK for a couple of weeks but most peoples clean work sets settle at around 60% of their squat sets & it won't allow the kind of low rep squat progression of SS.

If you enjoy squatting or want to learn the movement though you could sub lunges for squats and just do really high reps. High rep squatting is a perfectly great way to go, but it's still different to SS. If you could say get your clean weight up to 150lb and squat that for 30 reps in the next 3 months that would be GREAT progress, comparable to the progress most guys make on SS.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Originally Posted by Hut*Hut View Post
    Yeah. Without a squat rack you'll have to clean what you squat onto your back. This may be OK for a couple of weeks but most peoples clean work sets settle at around 60% of their squat sets & it won't allow the kind of low rep squat progression of SS.

If you enjoy squatting or want to learn the movement though you could sub lunges for squats and just do really high reps. High rep squatting is a perfectly great way to go, but it's still different to SS. If you could say get your clean weight up to 150lb and squat that for 30 reps in the next 3 months that would be GREAT progress, comparable to the progress most guys make on SS.
    So If I clean what the squat weight is onto my back and then do reps of that... then that would be ok? 150lbs is 70kg so what should I start with roughly? Thanks man

So If I clean what the squat weight is onto my back and then do reps of that... then that would be ok? 150lbs is 70kg so what should I start with roughly? Thanks man
    It's OK, yeah. Anythings Ok as long as you're progressive (It's just different to SS). I don't know what you'd need to start with, you'd have to try and see. You'd first have to learn to clean passably with an empty bar. Check out youtube there are instructional vids there. In all honesty this may be a frustrating route for you and you may just find it easier doing the lunges. Up to you though. You can still progress with all the other exercises in the program I stuck up there or something similar. Squats aren't essential. They're a great movement but not essential.

BTW, if you are training at home, you might try and find a pair of chairs sturdy enough (metal framed, most likely) to do weighted dips with. No exercise will put tape-size on your upper arms like Dips. If the chairs you find don't have handles that are comfortable for your hands (most dont) you can buy a pair of 'fat gripz' or something similar and make handles for them.

Again, like squats, not essential but a great, cheap addition to a home gym.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you could do hack squats and still run ss until you can go to a gym. Sometimes you gotta work with what you have.

How about this:

Monday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

So basically it's just SS with squats replaced by lunges/hack squats. Would this be ok? If not, I will just do the other program that has been posted. Thanks a lot for the help

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    That's not bad

Just be prepared to have to buy some more plates by the end of summer
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

How about this:

Monday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)

Wednesday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)

So basically it's just SS with squats replaced by lunges/hack squats. Would this be ok? If not, I will just do the other program that has been posted. Thanks a lot for the help
    Well I definitely like mine better in your circumstances for a variety of reasons, but that's just fine.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How about this:

Monday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)

Wednesday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    Lunges/hack squat (Alt)

That looks fine. You'll want to start doing back squat when you can but for now just use what you've got to the best you can. Hack squats are a pretty good alternative to back squats.

hate90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post help

Hey, i hope this thread is still alive,

im also very skinny and can't go to the gym for a number of reasons, what exercises or routine could u recommend i can do at home so i can gain some weight or build my body. whatever routine i plan to add the GOMAD diet

i only have a pullup bar and chairs for dips but no weights.

thank you
    Last edited by hate90; 05-03-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: urgency

Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hate90 View Post
    Hey, i hope this thread is still alive,

im also very skinny and can't go to the gym for a number of reasons, what exercises or routine could u recommend i can do at home so i can gain some weight or build my body. whatever routine i plan to add the GOMAD diet

i only have a pullup bar and chairs for dips but no weights.

thank you
    Start your own thread. You can do very little with a pull up bar and some chairs, but working out with whatever is available is superior to doing nothing at all.

Originally Posted by Koaia View Post
    Start your own thread. You can do very little with a pull up bar and some chairs, but working out with whatever is available is superior to doing nothing at all.
    hehe true, but im thinking of a routine like dips 5sets to failure also with chin ups, but for legs im not sure, maybe high reps of squats or lunges with no weight, 30reps approx for 3 or 5 sets.

you think i should start a new thread for this?

routine

lets say a routine like this

monday - wednesday - friday
    dips (bodyweight) 5 sets
    chinups 5 sets
    squats / lunges (bodyweight) 3sets 30reps
    abs 3 sets 30reps

PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PowderMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    start your own thread

Crede quod habes, et habes.
    Believe that you have it, and you have it.