adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) adjd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

struggling with shoulders

I have been working out solidly for the last six months but have big problems with my shoulders;they are weak.... I am doing Arnold presses, lateral raises, front DB raises, lying lat raises. 3 sets of 12-15 except the Arnolds which i do 5 sets of. my problem lies with the lying lat raises and side raises, i am REALLY weak. i can only manage 4 kilos on the LLR and 6 kilos on the SR. All other aspects of my workout are going well, seeing gains everywhere else but not here. I do have quite rounded shoulders and a tendency to stoop, is this the problem?
    “I am always doing things I can’t do. That is how I get to do them.” -Pablo Picasso

“You see things and you say ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were and I say ‘Why not?’” ~ George Bernard Shaw

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
    Winston Churchill

Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Youre pretty tall so your arms are longer and thus the load is at a fair distance. Lat raises arent something you can go super heavy on anyway.

As far as your posture goes, rounded shoulders shouldnt really affect growth or anything but may leave you more susceptible to RC injuries. Work on your rotator cuff muscles and serratus anterior to bring your shoulders back. Go to a physio for your posture problems.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^ He is on point.

THe biggest thing when it comes to lateral raises, is forget about weight. You want to do higher rep work (12 reps minimum) and focus on feeling it in your lateral deltoids. If you go too heavy, you transfer the load to your traps, making your exercise selection pretty pointless.

Patience is the biggest factor.

You can try incorporating/rotating other exercises into your repertoire.

Try wide grip upright rows for lateral deltoids.

For Posterior deltoids you can include:
    Face pulls
    Behind the back upright rows (smith machine is best bet)
    Reverse pec deck flyes
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Registered User MusclesMarina01's Avatar
    MusclesMarina01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMarina01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMarina01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMarina01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMarina01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMarina01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclesMarina01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I think your real problem sounds like your not hitting your rear delts.

When you get that hunch forward thing going its cause your front delts are overdeveloped due to benching.

You could do bent over lateral raises with a light weight to hit your rear delts proper.
    Lift Hard. Enjoy Life. Repeat.

Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Traps also take over if you go too high. Injuries also start to occur if you go above parallel.

I only use 5-7kgs on lat raises (5 on rear delt flyes) and I think the best ROM is pretty short. Keep tension on your delts by stopping a foot out from your sides at the bottom and again by stopping at or just below paralell at the top. Dont forget to lean slightly forward too.

Originally Posted by MusclesMarina01 View Post
    Yeah I think your real problem sounds like your not hitting your rear delts.

When you get that hunch forward thing going its cause your front delts are overdeveloped due to benching.

You could do bent over lateral raises with a light weight to hit your rear delts proper.
    I think shoulders tend to round because the scapula isnt as tight to the thorax as it should be. Working your rear delts wont solve this, not to say rear delt work isnt 100% necessary. You need to work the serratus anterior to remedy this. Best exercise is the 'push up plus' which is a regular push-up then an extra drive upwards. You might need a few exercises to hit it properly though.