Thread: HIIT vs HISS

XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Exclamation HIIT vs HISS

WHats better? As in fat loss.

Ive searched the forums and the site. And i found a video. Its said that anaerobic is when you use amino acids and muscle as energy. And aerobics, is when you keep a steady pace( building up a sweat but being able to keep a steady conversation, You use fat as energy.

So is HISS better than HIIT? ( based upon the point that it uses fat as energy instead of muscle and amino acids)

Ex of HISS : 8mph for 1h

Ex of HIIT: 5min warmup
    1min 12mph
    2min 8mph
    repeat 6 times
    5min cool down.

What doesn't kill me..... AbAbber2k's Avatar
    AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000)
    High Intensity Steady State is an oxymoron, IMHO. Regardless of your HR% (or whatever you think your %max is)... if you can maintain a pace for an hour+ it is NOT high intensity. Intensity is more than HR, and the relationship between HR and performance is hardly linear.

Stick to HIIT, IMHO. Unless you're training for an endurance event, HIIT is the ****. For performance and for fat burning.

Edit: The simple fact that your HISS PACE is the same speed as your HIIT low interval should be your first obvious clue as to which program you should be doing.

Edit 2: Holy ****, you're 14 and skinny as ****... ditch the cardio and start lifting and eating dude. Your six pack can wait. TRUST ME. I was just like you when I was young. I graduated HS all of 120lbs, and if I knew then what I knew now I would have bulked like crazy as a teenager.
    Last edited by AbAbber2k; 06-12-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
    AKC Kettlebell Coach, CST Coach
    BS Kinesiology, Washington State University

XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XxJayPerezxX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    So.. sense im 14 Honestly what should i be doing. HIIT OR HIIS or just play soccer( i love soocer, been playin since i was 3 / or just go run for like 2hrs?
    Last edited by XxJayPerezxX; 06-12-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You have no fat to lose.

Lift weights.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) TheBroBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Beachman View Post
    You have no fat to lose.

Lift weights.

This

BIt i want to do a little bit of cardio so what should i do?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    2, 20 minute sessions of LISS per week. /thread.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

can i do jumping rope for 30-40min? (as cardio?)

bail its the miscers mattyoung92's Avatar
    mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattyoung92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Once you get over your fear of losing your abs than the real bodybuilding will begin

its case study proven you need a caloric surplus with the right protein turn over to be getting anywhere faster than a snail so start packing away the food and keep the lifts heavy all the time and worry about cutting up later.
    I'm most lickly eating right now.

LAST QUESTION!!!! PLEASE RESPOND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!

My TREADMILL broke. so i cant do my HIIT on a treamill..
    SO im going to my local school track and im going to do the scivation HIIT, you guys this will have equal or even better results than me using my treadmill..??

Scivation HIIT:

5 minute warm-up
    -15 seconds all out followed by 45 seconds of low-intensity cardio X 5
    - 5 minutes of low-intensity cardio
    -15 seconds all out followed by 45 seconds of low-intensity cardio X 5
    -10 minutes of low-intensity cardio
    -Total time = 30 minutes

bump

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    OP, you're really overthinking this.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

What doesn't kill me..... AbAbber2k's Avatar
    AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000) AbAbber2k is just really nice. (+1000)
    OP: What is your training GOAL. You need to define this if you want better help. If your goal is a 6pack... anyone with half a brain will tell you you're wasting your time at your height/weight/age.

If your goal is training for soccer... you're in the wrong forum and you're not gonna find much help here.

That said, HIIT is exactly how you should be training for soccer ANYWAY since the sport requires lots of burst/recovery type athleticism (in addition to technical skill, agility, etc, etc).

ironwill is exactly right. You're putting WAY too much thought to this. Go to the track... sprint, walk/jog, sprint, walk/jog... repeat ad infinitum until you hit 30min. Go home. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.
    ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
    AKC Kettlebell Coach, CST Coach
    BS Kinesiology, Washington State University