JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long do you rest between sets.

So I'm on the Rippetoes routine, and I was talking to my friend at work who is also into weight lifting.

I was explaining how I don't feel DOMS ( well only when I tense the muscles I worked out )

So he goes to me " how long do u rest for between sets "

and I replied about 3-4 minutes or so.

he then told me that that was farrr too long, and I should only be having a one minutes rest, as my goal is to explode in size as well as power...

Is this correct?, Should I only be pausing for about a minute or so.

Awesome from birth.. FullyLoadedChief's Avatar
    FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10) FullyLoadedChief is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yup, he was correct

JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JxMxT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why though.. whats the reason behind this.

What difference will them two minutes makes?

AStylez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JxMxT View Post
    So I'm on the Rippetoes routine, and I was talking to my friend at work who is also into weight lifting.

I was explaining how I don't feel DOMS ( well only when I tense the muscles I worked out )

he then told me that that was farrr too long, and I should only be having a one minutes rest, as my goal is to explode in size as well as power...

I rest around 90 secs or a min

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

You are doing it right.

The instruction for rest periods on SS is to rest as long as necessary to get all of the reps. Just don't take so long that you cool down. This is pretty universal when training for strength. I've rested as long as 7-8 minutes between squat sets when they got heavy.

Currently I rest 4:00-4:15 between squat sets when doing 5x5 across.

If 3-4 minutes is what you feel you need to get all of the reps, take it.

Cheers man, thanks for that.

Erm... one other thing ( I don't want to start a new thread ), but when you push...."Strain" the muscle during the exercise, do you hold your breath or do you exhale?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cheers man, thanks for that.

Erm... one other thing ( I don't want to start a new thread ), but when you push...."Strain" the muscle during the exercise, do you hold your breath or do you exhale?
    Hold breath.

Search on the valsalva maneuver

Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000) Bright2131 is just really nice. (+1000)

Exclamation

Dude its depending upon your goals...

If you want to be more cardiovascular in shape type of guy, rest less. You'll also loose more weight because of the extra calories burnt.

If you want strength and bulky size, then rest as long as it feels good. For me when i strength train, i usually rest for about 4-5 minutes. This way you recover from the previous set and impact the muscle to the highest degree. When people try to increase their strength and take less time in between sets and think that working harder means your gaining more are all wrong. All these hs kids i go to school with think "OOO i need to push myself harder!!! if im working hard than i will be able to lift more. its just about working hard, it doesnt matter if you suk at it as long as you push yourself hard!!" lol hahaha. i laugh at all these kids.

Progressive resistance week by week. Lots of food. Lots of sleep. Heavy weight. Long rest between sets. 3-4 days of training weekly. Take a light week every 5-6 weeks. That is the part of the formula to getting huge and being stronger than anyone else. If anyone disagrees with that, than they don't know anything about strength training.
    :+)